Kuyt: I can be the new Shearer

Jimbo

"I CAN BE NEW SHEARER"

By Ray Ryan

GLENN ROEDER last night revealed he has £20million to spend in the transfer market next week — as Dirk Kuyt claimed: "I can be the new Alan Shearer."

The Newcastle boss is hoping to buy four players, including Feyenoord striker Kuyt, Thomas Gravesen from Real Madrid for £2m and Wayne Bridge from Chelsea for £3m.

Kuyt, 26, said: "I would describe myself as a target-man — and I would compare myself to Shearer.

"I can make goals and get assists as well as score goals. I work hard for the team but people in the Premiership will have to see me so I can prove myself.

"People did not see the best of me at the World Cup this summer but there is a fine line between scoring and missing a chance."

Roeder is also keeping tabs on Obafemi Martins of Inter Milan as he bids to replace Shearer and cover for the injured Michael Owen.

Roeder said: "I am as confident as you can be we can sign more than one new player before the season starts.

"The names being banded about are proven players so we will not be taking any risks by buying players from far off places.

"I have seen Kuyt play. He has good movement and takes up positions where he will score goals.

"Martins is a player with pace, which is what we need."

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/story_page...rt/sport3.shtml

Roeder:

"I have seen Kuyt play. He has good movement and takes up positions where he will score goals."

Could this mean we might be in for both after all? ;) I assumed it would be either one of them at best

... would be pleasantly surprised to see Kuyt and Martins next year

Edited by JohnB

Roeder:

"I have seen Kuyt play. He has good movement and takes up positions where he will score goals."

Could this mean we might be in for both after all?  ;)    I assumed it would be either one of them at best

...  would be pleasantly surprised to see Kuyt and Martins next year

176244[/snapback]

I can't see us getting both of them for £15m :)

Guest Patrokles

From what I've seen of Roeder actual comments, given in context, t'noord are pricing Kuyt out of a move. he also seems a lot more keen on pace, so i'm seeing more chance of Martins, to be honest. Unless it's all games to get the Dutch to lower the asking price.

From what I've seen of Roeder actual comments, given in context, t'noord are pricing Kuyt out of a move. he also seems a lot more keen on pace, so i'm seeing more chance of Martins, to be honest. Unless it's all games to get the Dutch to lower the asking price.

176291[/snapback]

Kuyt is no slouch though, judging from the odd game I've seen him.

Guest Patrokles

176291[/snapback]

Kuyt is no slouch though, judging from the odd game I've seen him.

176296[/snapback]

Roeder sounds like he wants someone who can really terrify teams with their pace, though, and although Kuyt isn't slow, he'll never do that.

Also, we have to consider that there's possibly a £4 million disparity between Kuyt and Martins' prices, which would be enough for us to get in another player (even 2).

goal scoring record.... he's scoring loads in a league with only 3 or 4 quality teams....

176347[/snapback]

Yep, strikers with good goal scoring records in this second rate league rarely prove to be talented players. What have the van Nistelrooys, Romarios, Ronaldos, Makaays etc. ever achieved after leaving Holland?

goal scoring record.... he's scoring loads in a league with only 3 or 4 quality teams....

176347[/snapback]

Yep, strikers with good goal scoring records in this second rate league rarely prove to be talented players. What have the van Nistelrooys, Romarios, Ronaldos, Makaays etc. ever achieved after leaving Holland?

176369[/snapback]

And Kezman. ;)

I agree with you though actually, I would prefer Kuyt to Martins, but would happily take either at the moment.

176347[/snapback]

176369[/snapback]

Ronaldo was an amazing talent scoring on average a goal a game both in the league and in Europe, RVN had a decent scoring record in the CL with PSV and would have left Holland earlier if it wasn't for an injury, Makaay left for Spain at a young age but was hardly a top goalscoring in Holland, not too sure about Romario.

Kuyt outside of the Dutch league has done nothing, not for Feyenoord in Europe or at International level, thats not to say he can't come here and be a top player but for £10 million it s just to big a risk IMO.

Edited by Baggio

176347[/snapback]

176369[/snapback]

Ronaldo was an amazing talent scoring on average a goal a game both in the league and in Europe, RVN had a decent scoring record in the CL with PSV and would have left Holland earlier if it wasn't for an injury, Makaay left for Spain at a young age but was hardly a top goalscoring in Holland, not too sure about Romario.

Kuyt outside of the Dutch league has done nothing, not for Feyenoord in Europe or at International level, thats not to say he can't come here and be a top player but for £10 million it s just to big a risk IMO.

176387[/snapback]

Feyenoord are shite though to be fair, so he's fighting a losing battle on the european front...

176347[/snapback]

176369[/snapback]

176387[/snapback]

Feyenoord are shite though to be fair, so he's fighting a losing battle on the european front...

176390[/snapback]

But they are still one of the top teams in that division which doesn't say much for the rest of the teams he's playing against.

Did you watch them against Reading yesterday? What was Kuyt like?

176347[/snapback]

176369[/snapback]

176387[/snapback]

176390[/snapback]

But they are still one of the top teams in that division which doesn't say much for the rest of the teams he's playing against.

Did you watch them against Reading yesterday? What was Kuyt like?

176394[/snapback]

http://www.toontastic.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=7788 ;)

He showed flashes of being a good player but then again, Reading made it hard for him. Cracking vision with some of his passes mind! Whether we end up with Martins instead and maybe sign Kuyt in January or next Summer (if his contract is up then) is another matter.

176347[/snapback]

176369[/snapback]

176387[/snapback]

I was rather about that I find it ridiculous how always performances in other leagues are played down. Of course the Premierleague is one of the top leagues, but that still doesn't mean performances and goal records in other leagues mean nothing. The Dutch league has a reputation of producing loads of talents, most of them able to prove themselves as well in "bigger" leagues. It's not like player of the standard of Heskey and Ameobi automatically would become top scoreres there...

It's not like player of the standard of Heskey and Ameobi automatically would become top scoreres there...

176437[/snapback]

Whichever Wallace brother it was - Rangers.

You can add Kezman to your list of exports that succeeded - oh, shit you can't.

I'm impressed by Kuyt's record but despite me almost willing him on in the WC he was absolutely dire.

It's not like player of the standard of Heskey and Ameobi automatically would become top scoreres there...

176437[/snapback]

I'm impressed by Kuyt's record but despite me almost willing him on in the WC he was absolutely dire.

176438[/snapback]

Are those players the exception or the rule, though?

176437[/snapback]

176438[/snapback]

And the world player of season 05/06 was a shining light at the WC wasn't he?

Played out of position in a supporting role for Van Nistelhorse is the perfect way to judge a player - you should be a scout for Newcastle with that sort of opinion making.

Truth is to succeed we need both Kuyt and Martins - we have donkey up front and that's it.

Forget Luque he effectively is the new Marcelino, whether it's his choice or not.