Shearer set to return

Scottish Mag

Alan Shearer will return to the Newcastle dressing-room this week to boost preparations for the Premiership kick-off.

As manager Glenn Roeder seemingly cools on the idea of signing Dirk Kuyt to fill his former skipper's boots.

Shearer's official role with the Magpies this season is as a part-time "sporting ambassador".

But Roeder reveals that the legendary ex-No 9 (left) will regularly drop in on training and occasionally help out United's coaching staff.

"Alan will be back at the training ground for a few days next week," Roeder said.

"His ambassador role doesn't mean he will get involved in the training ground day to day but it doesn't mean that when he appears around the place he will not have an input.

"He will coach and come out and watch training for a couple of days and then he will go off again.

"His involvement with the club this year is loose, but it is an involvement. I don't want to think that when he hasn't got any work, he won't come into the training ground.

"That is his intention, and he is a really good man to have around.

"For other managers of the past to say he is too big for the club is nonsense. He is not too big at all. I welcome Alan when he is about at Newcastle."

Roeder adds: " The dressing-room will be a lot quieter without Alan. That's why I want a loud player coming in this summer."

But Kuyt is seemingly not that player.

United's striker search has seen them continually linked with the Dutchman, yet Roeder does not sound ready to spend big money on him.

Having watched Kuyt in action for Feyenoord last week, the Newcastle boss says: "He's got good movement and takes up positions where it doesn't surprise me that he scores goals.

"But Feyenoord are trying to keep him, and the amounts of money - though I don't know what the actual figure is, because we've not asked - being bandied around about him seem huge; they seem very high.

"The last thing we want to be doing is buying the wrong player at the wrong price, because then you end up catching a cold."

Roeder admits Kuyt is in the Shearer mould, saying: "He definitely plays high up the pitch and is always looking to receive the ball played to feet."

But Roeder adds: "I do feel we need pace in the team - we need a player that is happy to run without the ball to start with to receive it in behind. You've got to have genuine pace to do that in the Premiership."

And he knows just the man.

"Obafemi Martins is a different type of player. I saw him in Amsterdam last Friday night, and he is much more a player with a lot of pace."

alan "do things my way or i'll have a hissy fit" shearer is the last thing i want to see doing anything more at this club for a while at least. he's been a great servant don't get me wrong but over the last couple of years held us back..

I'm ready to strangle the cunt.

Roeder that is, not Shearer. He can just fuck off.

176372[/snapback]

Why exactly?

176375[/snapback]

I'm tired of us constantly being linked with strikers whom Roeder has said we've been scouting.

Towards the back end of last season we were looking at Kuyt, then we had Sheaer have a look at him at a single WC game, then Roeder went to watch him some more.

All this time we've still been interested, and yet he's just claimed we haven't even asked how much they want for him???

That just strikes me as a piss poor approach to the transfer window, ESPECIALLY as we've known for the past 2 seasons that we need to sign a replacement for Shearer as we only effectively have one striker at the club, given the fact Roeder seems determined to get rid of Luque despite the fact the guy's had quite a promising pre-season.

It seems every week we're a few days away form signing someone but we aren't close at all as we haven't even bid for anyone.

At the moment, we seem to be waiting for the big clubs to finish their shopping so that we can go in for the dregs in the hope they'll nick a goal or two for a minimal fee.

We've had our trophy signing in Duff, who we don't actually need, so that seems to be it until deadline day or January. ;)

not being funny but who says we haven't bid for anyone?

for all we know Inter are considering a £7m bid for Martins at the same time as Feyenord are mulling over a £7m plus future incentives for Kuyt.. Real are preparing the paperwork to accept a £2m bid for Gravesen and Chelsea are finalising a season long loan with a view to buy in 07 for Bridge.

for all we know Inter are considering a £7m bid for Martins at the same time as Feyenord are mulling over a £7m plus future incentives for Kuyt.. Real are preparing the paperwork to accept a £2m bid for Gravesen and Chelsea are finalising a season long loan with a view to buy in 07 for Bridge.

176385[/snapback]

"But Feyenoord are trying to keep him, and the amounts of money - though I don't know what the actual figure is, because we've not asked."

I see no evidence of a bid for Kuyt being made upon reading this article.

Why all the negativity about shearer? ;) Im struggling to find what people problem with him is. Everyone assumes he has a big say in how things are run and the influence he has over the club as a whole. Im more than sure GR is his own man and will do things his way. If he wants or asks for AS's opnion or help with something then alls well and good.

As for bidding on the strikers, I think we have enquired, but if bids have been made then things are being played quietly. this is very understandable if we have competition for the players we are after.

Guest Patrokles

Why enquire about the price of a player you're not sure you want to buy?

Besides, it's more along the lines of 'we haven't put a definite official enquiry in'

Also, you have to consider that if we are focusing more on Martins, then for him/his agent to see that we're making solid enquiries about Kuyt would probably be a bit of a turn-off.

Edited by Patrokles

Why enquire about the price of a player you're not sure you want to buy?

Besides, it's more along the lines of 'we haven't put a definite official enquiry in'

Also, you have to consider that if we are focusing more on Martins, then for him/his agent to see that we're making solid enquiries about Kuyt would probably be a bit of a turn-off.

176418[/snapback]

Why state the obvious?

It's the whole 'not sure to buy' thing I'm talking about...! It's the fact that this season is drawing nearer and ideally you want to integrate those new players into your squad before the season kicks off.

The fact that Roeder states he's not convinced or is saying this to fog the media off while he may well be making inquiries is frustrating from a supporters point of view with the season drawing nearer. If he had have kept his mouth shut instead of saying in two days time, this time next week, talking about from 5/6 players coming to 1 or 2 might have something to do with it.

176385[/snapback]

"But Feyenoord are trying to keep him, and the amounts of money - though I don't know what the actual figure is, because we've not asked."

I see no evidence of a bid for Kuyt being made upon reading this article.

176389[/snapback]

On the other hand we did bid, and had it accepted, for Eidur Gudjohnsen but he decided to plump for Barca instead! ;)

Just because we haven't signed a striker, doesn't mean we haven't bid. I personally believe we've gone for quite a list and been knocked back either by the club or the player himself...