Owen return to Liverpool on cards

Scottish Mag

England and Real Madrid striker Michael Owen is set for a return to Liverpool, according to reports.

Owen, 25, has been linked with a move to Manchester United and Newcastle while Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez has insisted he is not after a striker.

But forwards Milan Baros and Djibril Cisse may leave Anfield and pave the way for an Owen comeback.

Baros could move to Aston Villa and Cisse is understood to be the subject of interest from French club Lyon.

Lyon will be flush with cash with the £26m transfer from Michael Essien's expected switch to Chelsea and their manager Gerard Houllier signed Cisse for Liverpool when in charge of the Merseysiders.

Houllier was rumoured to be eyeing Owen but the player appears to favour a move back to the Premiership.

Owen's future at Real is in doubt after the Spanish giants signed Robinho and Julio Baptista to complement an attacking force already boasting Raul and Ronaldo.

And, with Owen seemingly fifth choice, he has been linked with a leaving the Bernabeu for more regular first-team football in World Cup year.

Liverpool received £8m and Antonio Nunez for Owen when they sold him last summer and Real are believed to want £10m for the hitman.

But, with Benitez after a right midfielder and centre-back, a loan deal has been muted, despite Real not being too keen on the idea.

It may, however, be their main option if Manchester United do not make a firm bid for Owen.

Looks like Gol was spot on with this snippet then!

14300[/snapback]

He usually is, apart from when he said Amdy Faye was a good player.

14300[/snapback]

14305[/snapback]

And that the Boa Morte deal was done for 3.35 million :D

14315[/snapback]

:D

I said we'd bid £3.35m, which I thought they were accepting. To be fair, I told you about the bid before it hit the press, so I was half right.

As for the Amdy Faye comment..... :D

14300[/snapback]

14305[/snapback]

And that the Boa Morte deal was done for 3.35 million :rolleyes:

14315[/snapback]

:blink:

I said we'd bid £3.35m, which I thought they were accepting. To be fair, I told you about the bid before it hit the press, so I was half right.

As for the Amdy Faye comment..... :(

14361[/snapback]

I thought Nicky Butt was a good signing ;)