Your favourite stand up comedians?

Toonraider

• 2 weeks later...

Getting on with Jo Brand is the best British comedy since the office

A lot of medical-folk I know think it's class too. I think it needs a bit of insight/sympathy in that profession to really "get it" though, as much of it passes me by.

Everybody reckons the Hyena is a bear pit worse than Jongleurs nowadays.

They're not wrong. The stand is the best comedy venue in Newcastle and a lot of comics are saying it's becoming a favourite spot.

Went to Hyena's a while ago and they kicked a couple of punters out for talking among themselves. Seems not paying the acts enough attention gets you trated like a child. Won't be back.

Not being funny, but I wouldn't go to any other comedy club either. All clubs make it plain before the show starts that if you want to talk, do it elsewhere and if you want to heckle you best be funnier than the act. Talking during the act is ignorant and inconsiderate. You might think you're talking quietly, but in truth you're pissing off the people sitting around you and you'll be putting the comic off his act. They're (generally) not big rooms, and given everyone else is watching the comedy, the voices carry and the night will be made poorer for everyone.

Going to see comedy isn't like going to a music gig; it's a one way conversation. Also, you wouldn't talk over a mate telling you an anecdote of his own, would you?

I'd bet the couple had been repeatedly asked to shut up, hated people like that.

Never understood people who pay £10 to go to a comedy gig, only to talk through it.

Wouldn't say I'm a regular at any comedy club, but I've been to enough over the years in different parts of the country to know that what went on was heavy handed to say the least. Seems mostly driven by the huge number of comics out there trying to make it and punters are being forced by the clubs to pay attention to them regardless of how good they are. If theyre not good enough to hold a crowd well that's a shame, and obviously its in the clubs' interest to keep the acts motivated and happy so they stick with it, ensuring the clubs keep earning too. A case of "jobs for the boys/girls"?

Edited by PaddockLad

Wouldn't say I'm a regular at any comedy club, but I've been to enough over the years in different parts of the country to know that what went on was heavy handed to say the least. Seems mostly driven by the huge number of comics out there trying to make it and punters are being forced by the clubs to pay attention to them regardless of how good they are. If theyre not good enough to hold a crowd well that's a shame, and obviously its in the clubs' interest to keep the acts motivated and happy so they stick with it, ensuring the clubs keep earning too. A case of "jobs for the boys/girls"?

The Hyena is being muscled out by the Stand which is as has previously been stated replacing it at the North East's top comedy venue. It has an awful reputation and they may be trying too hard to correct that.

That said anybody who talks during a comedy gig is the lowest form of scum and should be taken out and shot.

The Hyena is being muscled out by the Stand which is as has previously been stated replacing it at the North East's top comedy venue. It has an awful reputation and they may be trying too hard to correct that.

That said anybody who talks during a comedy gig is the lowest form of scum and should be taken out and shot.

Hyena is the only comedy night I've walked out on because of the crowd. Office parties, stag dos, birthday parties and other assorted arseholes.

That night I was in there were two or three stag/hen do's in who naturally a lot more rowdy than two lads sat there having a pint and a bit of crack between themselves. Seemed like bullying to me. The act they were ignoring was a fairly unintelligible (even to me, brought up north of the border myself) Glaswegian who was ok, but lacked a bit of confidence. Think he tried to make up for it by taking a bit of "Dutch courage" beforehand too, which really didn't help. Maybe I was just in on a bad night, but it wasn't a good advert for the place.

Hyena is the only comedy night I've walked out on because of the crowd. Office parties, stag dos, birthday parties and other assorted arseholes.

Would the clubs survive without them though?...££££££££

Would the clubs survive without them though?...££££££££

Yeah, course. Most clubs don't permit Hen or Stag dos at all, I direct you to the Stand's policy

Please don’t try to get round this policy by booking separately – hen or stag parties will be refused admission and we’d all rather avoid this embarrassment on the door.

Some of our favourite excuses:

'We're a quiet stag/hen group' - no, you're not, they don't exist.

'We're an older stag/hen group' - unless you are all mute and teetotal, no.

'We promise to behave' - you're not special and we don't accept promise as a currency.

'You're just being racist' - being a drunken idiot is not a race/religion.

'We're going to sneak in' - no you're not, you're about as subtle as a Katy Perry video.

'We go to other comedy clubs all the time and know what to expect' - Most other comedy clubs are more interested in getting your money than they are about the performance. We’d love to see you when you're not getting smashed though.

'We’ve been to your club before and had a great night out, why not this time?' - Because you weren't part of a large group that time that was hell-bent on getting wrecked. Didn't you enjoy your last visit to our club without screaming and shouting from some drunk person with a mankini/flashing devil horns on?

'We are going to spend lots of money in your venue' - Lots of money? On booze? Hmmmmmm...

'I said we were a stag/hen party but it was a mistake, why don’t you just pretend you didn’t hear that' - You mistakenly labelled your group a stag/hen party? Are you the sort to mistakenly get drunk and smell a little bit like vomit by 11pm?

Ok, we’re not saying all stag and hen party’s are that bad – before we introduced this policy we did have on occasion some very lovely stag/hen party’s who were well behaved, enjoyed the show and treated other audience members and staff with courtesy and respect. This is unfortunately very much the minority. If you are one of these kind of groups then we’re very sorry we have to turn you away, but being the nice people you are you almost always understand.

Think Baddiel and Newman selling out Wembley 20 years ago has a lot to answer for tbh. Too many in the game now, not only talent, but agents,clubs etc etc all looking to maximise their chances of making a shed load of money. Fair enough, that's the way things have gone, but when that comes down to picking on a couple of lads out for a pint on a Friday night and making them look and no doubt feel like criminals then its gone too far.

Think Baddiel and Newman selling out Wembley 20 years ago has a lot to answer for tbh. Too many in the game now, not only talent, but agents,clubs etc etc all looking to maximise their chances of making a shed load of money. Fair enough, that's the way things have gone, but when that comes down to picking on a couple of lads out for a pint on a Friday night and making them look and no doubt feel like criminals then its gone too far.

Why the fuck were they at a comedy club then?

You wouldn't go to the cinema and have a natter, would you?

Are you not allowed to have a drink at these places?

I'd have thought it was compulsory watching a lot of acts. Genuinely seen funnier blokes at work/in a bar/club.

Why the fuck were they at a comedy club then?

You wouldn't go to the cinema and have a natter, would you?

Well no, but the comparison is a poor one iyam. Especially when the vast majority of cinema's in this country dont serve alcohol.

The Stand started in Glasgow or Edinburgh didnt it?.... according to Frankie Boyle's book it did. Did it have this sort of policy in those days, in those cities, before large amounts of money were to be made from this game? I fuckin doubt it :lol: So what we're looking at isnt considerate and respectful behaviour towards others, its making sure shite acts dont get intimidated by a rowdy crowd, thus ensuring the production line keeps churning out mediocrity.

Edited by PaddockLad

Well no, but the comparison is a poor one iyam. Especially when the vast majority of cinema's in this country dont serve alcohol.

The Stand started in Glasgow or Edinburgh didnt it?.... according to Frankie Boyle's book it did. Did it have this sort of policy in those days, in those cities, before large amounts of money were to be made from this game? I fuckin doubt it :lol: So what we're looking at isnt considerate and respectful behaviour towards others, its making sure shite acts dont get intimidated by a rowdy crowd, thus ensuring the production line keeps churning out medicocrity.

Nonsense.

The reason this policy came in is because places like the Stand found they lost no money by excluding the groups that ruin the night for everyone else. Acts hate playing Jongleurs and Hyena and their ilk because you may as well put a Roy Chubby Brown dvd on for all the attention the act gets. Mind, they pay well.

End of the day, if you want to go for a pint and talk to your mate, don't go to a comedy club. It's a retarded idea. You'd be better off going to, oh I dunno, a pub? :lol:

If the act isn't shit they won't have a problem of people not paying attention, likewise for the movie in a cinema.

That's backwards as well. I've seen brilliant comics have their act ruined by people being ignorant and talking. The idiots who've come to a comedy club to have a pint with their mate wouldn't care if it was Billy Connolly, Bill Bailey or Bill Hicks on stage, they'd keep talking. In fact, there's a point, Bill Hicks is renowned for being one of the greatest recent comics and he would often go mental at chatty audience members. Well, up until the point those guys are kicked out, to the delight of the rest of the crowd.

I'm not talking about a comic who's lost the room, just the arseholes who have come to a comedy club with no intention of watching comedy.

It's not a difficult concept, wanna watch comedy? go and watch comedy, wanna have a pint and chat to your mate, go and have a pint with your mate in the pub.