Your favourite stand up comedians?

Toonraider

14 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

Yes but I much prefer his stand up. He’s got a couple of specials on Netflix. One recent one, one from back in the day - I think they’re both brilliant but why not try before you buy?

Good idea. The only one I could find was from 1998. He’s pretty much a USA Peter Kay but less funny.

I’m guessing you’re more inclined to that ‘New York sense of humour’.

11 hours ago, ewerk said:

Good idea. The only one I could find was from 1998. He’s pretty much a USA Peter Kay but less funny.

I’m guessing you’re more inclined to that ‘New York sense of humour’.

I prefer him to Peter Kay so I guess you could say that.

Try Jerry before Seinfeld - it’s his Netflix special from a couple of years back. Pretty sure it’s still available and is a good reflection of his latest material. 

On 23/09/2019 at 09:54, Dr Gloom said:

I prefer him to Peter Kay so I guess you could say that.

Try Jerry before Seinfeld - it’s his Netflix special from a couple of years back. Pretty sure it’s still available and is a good reflection of his latest material. 

I gave it a go. He has everything to be a good comedian apart from the material. It’s all too beige and inoffensive for my liking.

Saved me $200 on tickets though, thanks for that.

On 24/09/2019 at 15:00, Tom said:

Bill Burr is absolutely fantastic.

I’m half way through his latest special and it’s woeful. Just him trying to figure out what the ‘current’ social issues are and railing against them. It’s lazy comedy.

• 1 month later...

I saw Richard Gadd doing Monkey See Monkey Do on one of the arts or comedy channels the other night. 
Not your standard stand-up fare, but pretty good. 
( If you haven’t seen or heard of him, he does the entire show whilst running on a treadmill, next to a screen which plays his “thoughts” as he’s running.)

Saw Ben Elton last week. Anyone who remembers his 5 mins spots of manic ranting on Saturday Night Live will be interested to hear that he performed in precisely the same frantic, furiously fast style from the very start right up to the interval. An hour and twenty minutes. He was 60 this year  :lol:

He was also right about just about everything. Except for his major issues with craft beer. In his final monologue he invoked the image of Galileo being made to recant his scientific findings in front of the Papal Inquisition. That made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up and earned him a spontaneous standing ovation. Not bad for an old ranting leftie. 

1 hour ago, PaddockLad said:

Saw Ben Elton last week. Anyone who remembers his 5 mins spots of manic ranting on Saturday Night Live will be interested to hear that he performed in precisely the same frantic, furiously fast style from the very start right up to the interval. An hour and twenty minutes. He was 60 this year  :lol:

He was also right about just about everything. Except for his major issues with craft beer. In his final monologue he invoked the image of Galileo being made to recant his scientific findings in front of the Papal Inquisition. That made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up and earned him a spontaneous standing ovation. Not bad for an old ranting leftie. 

Little bit of politics? 

3 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

What issues does he have with craft beer, or is it the spunktrumpets who treat it like a religion he has issue with? 

For someone who basically invented the phrase "right on" he's now a refreshingly grumpy old 60 year old, who ongs for the days of 3 pumps in all pubs, lager, bitter & Guinness. And he does indeed think that the beard/top knot/ pointless sleeve tattoo brigade are fuckin twats :lol:

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Alex said:

Little bit of politics? 

Yeah...my 2 mates wandered in half an hour late thinking there would be a support act. They didn't go back after the interval because Elton is a "trans loving cunt" according to one of them. Not sure what the fuck he expected tbh

• Haha 1

For someone who basically invented the phrase "right on" he's now a refreshingly grumpy old 60 year old, who ongs for the days of 3 pumps in all pubs, lager, bitter & Guinness. And he does indeed think that the beard/top knot/ pointless sleeve tattoo brigade are fuckin twats :lol:

He has a point 

Yeah...my 2 mates wandered in half an hour late thinking there would be a support act. They didn't go back after the interval because Elton is a "trans loving cunt" according to one of them. Not sure what the fuck he expected tbh

:lol: Had they actually heard of him before the gig? 

• 3 weeks later...

Went to see Whose Line is it Anyway? At the Comedy Store in Covent Garden. ‘Twas canny. Weird seeing Josie Lawrence about 30 years after I had a schoolboy crush on her 

• Like 1