Your favourite stand up comedians?

Toonraider

I cant stand Ross Noble

'I saw a road cone the other day, it was orange, like an oompa loompa cone, like if an oompa loompa was a cone and was orange and mystical and all roady oooohhhhh'

Its the sort of shite I used to spout when I was 15 and trying to be wacky and crazy cool

He's quite funny on panel shows but his standup is shocking.

Agree with J. He's fucking awful.

I can't watch him at all, he makes me cringe. My son says he's quite funny on panel shows though.

I cant stand Ross Noble

'I saw a road cone the other day, it was orange, like an oompa loompa cone, like if an oompa loompa was a cone and was orange and mystical and all roady oooohhhhh'

Its the sort of shite I used to spout when I was 15 and trying to be wacky and crazy cool

He's quite funny on panel shows but his standup is shocking.

Agree with J. He's fucking awful.

I can't watch him at all, he makes me cringe. My son says he's quite funny on panel shows though.

He's up there with Gina Yashere and all Female stand-up comedians, he's absolutely shocking, not funny at all. Me mate thinks he's hilarious and when he try's to justify it by telling one of his jokes a stoney silence comes across the room as it's that bad.

I havent seen him on panel shows but his stand up is the worst i've ever seen

Edited by StoneColdStephenIreland

Poor mans Izzard, he tries to be a bit zany and go off on tangents but it's just not funny 90% of the time.

Pryor is brilliant i've a couple of live gigs he did on dvd and they're great, the routines he did about his pets and guard dogs are hilarious :lol:

I loathe Gina Yashere, Jo brand and Andi osho, "it's hard being nigerian" "i'm fat and have periods" "hey hey i'm black and live in london!"

fucking awful the three of them.

Thats basically the only material women comedians have got, along with their husbands, daughters and sons

I agree on the black comediennes but I actually quite like Jo Brand - both stand-up and panel show modes. I know her material is stereotyped but I still find it quite funny.

There's a lot of comedians who people seem to loathe that I think are canny - Russel Howard being a good example.

On ones I don't like, top of the list is Lee Evans - not funny at all imo.

I agree on the black comediennes but I actually quite like Jo Brand - both stand-up and panel show modes. I know her material is stereotyped but I still find it quite funny.

There's a lot of comedians who people seem to loathe that I think are canny - Russel Howard being a good example.

On ones I don't like, top of the list is Lee Evans - not funny at all imo.

Didn't think I would but I ended up liking that show he did on BBC3. I like Jo Brand too.

Lee Evans is a slapstick/physical comic in the style of Jerry Lewis, at times. He nicks some bits off JL. Just a different style of humour, doesn't mean he's bad, he's actually quite skilled at it. Russell Howard is genuinely shit at standup however, by any measure.

I can appreciate that stylistically he may be adept, he just doesn't entertain me - a bit like watching sportsmen I know are good but whose sport is shit.

The only measure I apply to Howard is whether he amuses me - and he does to a semi-decent level - no Hicks but then again nobody else is anyway.

Lee Evans is a slapstick/physical comic in the style of Jerry Lewis, at times. He nicks some bits off JL. Just a different style of humour, doesn't mean he's bad, he's actually quite skilled at it. Russell Howard is genuinely shit at standup however, by any measure.

I can appreciate that stylistically he may be adept, he just doesn't entertain me - a bit like watching sportsmen I know are good but whose sport is shit.

The only measure I apply to Howard is whether he amuses me - and he does to a semi-decent level - no Hicks but then again nobody else is anyway.

I've heard of people who like his Good News show who found his standup show to be awful. I don't rate him personally. I get what you mean with Evans, and I don't find him that funny, but he's sustained a career for a long time and during periods when comedians didn't get half as much exposure, plus he doesn't appear on every show on TV like a Macintyre or Jack Whitehall. You have to be a skilled performer to pull off those slapstick routines and he can do that in large venues, fair play. Only a channel like BBC 3, which commissions shows where they send Lindsay Lohan to Bandgladesh or wherever, would give that bloke a show.

As for Hicks, I used to find him funny, but now a lot less so. I think he forgot to be funny sometimes when he did the overtly political material; someone like George Carlin could be just as subversive, but would never forget to keep the laughs going. Hicks has some great bits though, like the Weed vs Alcohol stuff.

I've heard of people who like his Good News show who found his standup show to be awful. I don't rate him personally. I get what you mean with Evans, and I don't find him that funny, but he's sustained a career for a long time and during periods when comedians didn't get half as much exposure, plus he doesn't appear on every show on TV like a Macintyre or Jack Whitehall. You have to be a skilled performer to pull off those slapstick routines and he can do that in large venues, fair play. Only a channel like BBC 3, which commissions shows where they send Lindsay Lohan to Bandgladesh or wherever, would give that bloke a show.

As for Hicks, I used to find him funny, but now a lot less so. I think he forgot to be funny sometimes when he did the overtly political material; someone like George Carlin could be just as subversive, but would never forget to keep the laughs going. Hicks has some great bits though, like the Weed vs Alcohol stuff.

:lol:

• 3 weeks later...
Hope everyone's ready for Gina Yashere and Andi Osho to bore the life outta you with riot related material linked with "i'm from nigeria/london" from now till kingdom come

"Here's how a Nigerian mother would have sorted out those riots!" AAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH

• 2 months later...

The Stand is opening up on Highgate. This is really good news for North East comedy as The Stand in Edinburgh is probably the best venue in the UK and if they can bring the same attitude and foster the same atmosphere we could see a really good scene blossom around it.

"Our aim is to be the best comedy club in England and from the off we’ll be aiming at stand-up fans with a selection of high profile solo shows. On Tuesdays our Comedy Connoisseurs Collection offers some of the biggest names in comedy. Phill Jupitus, Mark Watson, Rory Bremner, Craig Campbell and Frankie Boyle are first up, with plenty more to follow including Johnny Vegas, Mark Thomas, Sarah Millican and Stewart Francis."

How anyone can compare Russell fucking Howard to Hicks is incredible.

All Howard can do is make a shit joke that's not original and if no-one laughs he'll scream something loudly and prance about until they laugh at him instead.

The Stand is opening up on Highgate. This is really good news for North East comedy as The Stand in Edinburgh is probably the best venue in the UK and if they can bring the same attitude and foster the same atmosphere we could see a really good scene blossom around it.

"Our aim is to be the best comedy club in England and from the off we’ll be aiming at stand-up fans with a selection of high profile solo shows. On Tuesdays our Comedy Connoisseurs Collection offers some of the biggest names in comedy. Phill Jupitus, Mark Watson, Rory Bremner, Craig Campbell and Frankie Boyle are first up, with plenty more to follow including Johnny Vegas, Mark Thomas, Sarah Millican and Stewart Francis."

High Bridge btw ;)

Saw Noel Fielding on Apollo (I think?) the other day, I like the Mighty Boosh and think he's great on Buzzcocks etc, but thought it'd be wank. It was actually quite good, if different. He's not one of the best but it's nice to see someone doing something different (He did an entire bit on pretending to be a fucking fly :lol:, actually worked as well)

Who makes me belly laugh;

Billy Connoly

Jason Byrne

Tim Vine

Who are masterful at the "art";

Hicks

Eddie Izzard

Billy Connoly again

Spike Milligan was a fucking genius.

There's a clip somewhere of Milligan appearing on jasper carrots show. He's dressed as a nurse, sitting in an armchair. Before he says a word the audience are in fits, he plays it like a master, and keeps them in stitches for the duration of his timeslot, all without saying a word. Fuck knows what his planned sketch was going to be.

If anyone can find it, it's genius.

The Suggestibles are a canny night out in town.

High Bridge btw ;)

Fuck you sir, fuck you.