Roeder Q&A on Radio Newcastle

Tom_NUFC

I only caught the last half and as someone mentioned Roeder's voice is quite difficult to listen to.  What were the key points of what he said?

-Someone mentioned that we're in for both Kuyt and Martins, hardly that we're trying to sign both, but just one or the other? 

-Were Gravesen or Bridge mentioned, was anyone else mentioned?

-Is every other bloke in Newcastle called Brian?

178293[/snapback]

Bridge was mentioned earlier on. Said that we would be in for defenders if they were available and that if we can sort defence and strikers out we're not far off being a decent team.

Also said that Gravesen is someone he's interested in. He was then asked about overload in midfield - he said that for the first time in a long time he was looking to build a squad at NUFC and that it was important to have players of real quality that can come into the team and do as well as the previous first choice. Which was good to hear.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Patrokles
I only caught the last half and as someone mentioned Roeder's voice is quite difficult to listen to.  What were the key points of what he said?

-Someone mentioned that we're in for both Kuyt and Martins, hardly that we're trying to sign both, but just one or the other? 

-Were Gravesen or Bridge mentioned, was anyone else mentioned?

-Is every other bloke in Newcastle called Brian?

178293[/snapback]

The Bridge issue was the least concrete, Glenn just said he wanted another defender. Gravesen he said might be available and if he was we'd be in for him. He seemed to suggest we're definitely in for Martins regardless of his age and that the only difference it'd make would be in the price Inter could ask. He seemed also to imply that we were firming up our Kuyt interest.

Said another top 4 club (Liverpool) are in as much as NUFC are in for Kuit. In other words, we ARE trying to sign Kyuijt.

Said Graveson wont be available for a couple of weeks yet.

Said he is as aware as us that things should have been done a long time ago in respect of replacing Shearer - in other words, he was passing the buck on this one big style.

It's abundantly obvious that Portly Freddie has told Roeder that he is sick of signing players for big bucks only to have them leave for fuck all. Sounds like Roeder is under the thumb.

Guest Patrokles

It's abundantly obvious that Portly Freddie has told Roeder that he is sick of signing players for big bucks only to have them leave for fuck all. Sounds like Roeder is under the thumb.

178300[/snapback]

I think that was more verbose Ian than Fred.

roeder_mick_203x152.jpg

The fat sweaty bastard looks like he's just got up. Could have made the effort.

178337[/snapback]

Is Mick Lowes fucking photoshop'd or what? Makes Glen Roeder look like a pin-up.

Guest Patrokles

Imagine co-commentating with him. Blatantly he'd be so big that you'd have to be in contact, thigh-to-thigh with the monster.

Guest Patrokles

It's nice to have heard Roeder himself without any of Oliver's editing and conclusion-drawing. For all we know he's been saying this all along, and our friend Alan has just been a bit creative in his 'reporting'.

He made some good points and talks a lot of sense imo, at least he's got the clubs best interests at heart which is more than can be said for (spit) souness

178427[/snapback]

Roeders been fucking crucified on N-O :lol: .

Anyway, not long until the schools are back :razz:

He made some good points and talks a lot of sense imo, at least he's got the clubs best interests at heart which is more than can be said for (spit) souness

178427[/snapback]

Roeders been fucking crucified on N-O :lol: .

Anyway, not long until the schools are back :razz:

178428[/snapback]

What the toddlers saying about him?

He's amateurish...

Shouldnt be scouting Kuyt....

Talks funny (yes, thats right).....

Too relaxed...

He's a nobody...

He gives worse interviews than Souness...

Should of had all of his player in by now... (like its HIS decision)

Basically, blaming him for our poor transfer window.

He's amateurish...

Shouldnt be scouting Kuyt....

Talks funny (yes, thats right).....

Too relaxed...

He's a nobody...

He gives worse interviews than Souness...

Should of had all of his player in by now... (like its HIS decision)

Basically, blaming him for our poor transfer window.

178437[/snapback]

Same as many people are saying on here then? :lol:

From .com

Glenn Roeder stepped into the BBC Radio Newcastle studios on Tuesday afternoon to answer questions asked by Mick Lowes and set by supporters.

click here to listen again to the interview

(you will need to have RealPlayer loaded) 

Signings:

Kuyt: "Having seen him a couple of times now myself- although he's not the quickest - there's no doubt that in the Dutch League he knows how to score a goal.

"His body language on the pitch suggests he's  the sort of player you'd like in your dressing room - fully committed to the team effort.

"We are not the only club interested in him - there is another club that's in the top four that's very strongly in for him as well as we are.

"We'd like to find the possibility of bringing this particular player to Newcastle."

Martins (and the alleged age disparity):

"If there was a difference in age then surely that has be reflected in the price.

"But that would not mean that he wasn't a very good player and he could do a very good job.

"We have to decide whether we believe what we are being told."

Gravesen: "It's a possibility. He's a player I certainly admire. There is a possibility that he could become available over the next few weeks and I'd be silly not to be involved in trying to bring him here."

Bridge: "We will continue to look at a potential defender we could bring in before the transfer deadline.

Beckham: "no enquiry made".

Campbell: discussed making a move with backroom staff but checked his record and was surprised how few games he'd played in the last couple of seasons.

On a Shearer replacement:

"We needed to be looking at potential targets as long ago as 12 months ago.

"At the end of last season we should have been in a position to have gone and sourced three or four potential signings. But for whatever reason we were not in that position to do that.

"And that is why through the close season, myself and the backroom staff have been working very hard to playing catch up and try and find a player or two of enough quality to wear our shirt. It is proving very difficult.

"It's not just us finding it difficult. There doesn't seem to be a lot around at the moment and the few that are, seem so ridiculously priced. You have to pay way over the odds for someone who may be OK, but not special.

"We certainly haven't given up and we're in a position to be looking at three or four more players over the next seven days.

"But with the transfer window coming to a close at the end of August, a decision or two is going to have to be made very quickly.

"I'm confident we will have signed at least one striker before the window closes. Whether that one striker wears the number nine I can't say.

"It's a shirt that's not for a youngster with little experience trying to make his way in the game - it's for an experienced man who is confident enough in himself to put that shirt on again.

On signing Championship strikers:

"We believe there are only two possibly three potential strikers in the Championship who could come and play in the Premiership and we are constantly monitoring them (presumably not Cardiff's Michael Chopra....)

"We don't feel that any of those strikers would be right to come in and take on the mantle of being our main striker, week in week out.

"The few young strikers that we've got (at the club) will be given every opportunity, but at the moment will fall short of the quality that is needed. We'll just have to see how they develop over the next couple of years.

On a lack of quick players:

"We could definitely do with more pace in the side and that is one of the first things that I'm trying to identify when I'm bringing in new players.

Current players:

Milner: "I'm looking forward to working with him. He's a young English talent."

N'Zogbia: "There's no reason why he shouldn't feature as often this season as before - competition for places is vital. 

"Charles has got a huge future at Newcastle. We don't want to burn him out.

"He's a joy to work with.... it's only a matter of time before he becomes a senior member of the French squad and I'm very happy that we were lucky enough to secure him. 

Owen: "I couldn't say whether he'll play again this season, we'll just have to wait and see."

Dyer: "Kieron is very important to us - one of the few players who runs with the ball as quickly as he does without it.

"He's had an extended recovery time this time around - he will have been out just over five months by the time he gets back to playing in the first team.

"It is very possible that the two and three months breaks he's had before haven't been long enough.

"He's doing very well at the moment - I know our supporters have heard that before when he's come back and broken.

"There won't be any excuses. He needs to stay fit when he comes back in the middle of September.

"All the signs are extremely positive that when he comes back this time he will stay fit.

"Every test that's put in front of him he's passing easily. He's running at full speed and he's not having any problems the next day.

"We will continue to work him extremely hard to take him to breakdown point - and the important thing is that we cannot get him there.

"We will continue to be like that for another month or so and when we see Kieron we like to think that within 7-10 days of returning he will be up for selection.

Luque: "Albert has found it difficult to play at the tempo that we need him to. He's had a good pre-season and worked hard.

"His English is improving all the time and slowly but surely I'm hopeful that he'll be able to pick up the pace of the Premiership.

Oi, NewOrleans bloke that's browsing.  Was it you that got your question read out?  Joey or something?

178297[/snapback]

No, not me - although I was listening live & coughed coffee all over my keyboard when I heard that.

I've been here for 3 years and I've never met anyone else here who even cared about football never mind a toon fan......

roeder_mick_203x152.jpg

The fat sweaty bastard looks like he's just got up. Could have made the effort.

178337[/snapback]

Holy shit is that an ACTUAL person or something from Jim Hensons Creature Shop...

Jesus christ in heaven thats a beast of a.....thing....

Looks like hes been down the market and ripped off a stall cover and fashioned some kind of torso covering device for himself....