Monday's gossip column

Scottish Mag

TRANSFER RUMOURS

Chelsea will this week raise their offer for Arsenal's Ashley Cole to between £22m and £24m after being told their alternative left-back, Lyon's Eric Abidal, would cost almost as much at £21m. (The Independent)

Manchester United have scheduled further talks with Villarreal over the possible transfer of midfielder Marcos Senna to Old Trafford. (The Times)

Portsmouth striker Benjani Mwaruwari, who joined the club at the start of the year, is ready for a move to St Etienne. (Daily Mirror)

Birmingham are taking Celtic winger Ross Wallace on trial. (Daily Mirror)

Arsenal are reported to be interested in Lyn Oslo striker Chinedu Ogbuke. (The Times)

Middlesbrough hope to sign Manchester City defender Sylvain Distin and Blackburn midfielder Brett Emerton in time for the first game of the season at Reading on Saturday. (Various)

West Ham are exploring other options for a winger after having a bid of £4.8m for Switzerland player Tranquillo Barnetta turned down by Bayer Leverkusen. (The Times)

Manchester City boss Stuart Pearce has pledged to further strengthen his squad before Sunday's Premiership opener with Chelsea. (The Guardian)

Brazilian club Corinthians have denied that Manchester United have made a bid for Argentine forward Carlos Tevez. (The Times)

Wolves keeper Tomasz Frankowski is up for sale. (The Times)

OTHER GOSSIP

Former England captain David Beckham, who was dropped by new national team boss Steve McClaren for Wednesday's friendly against Greece, faces starting the season as a substitute for Real Madrid. (The Sun)

Valencia have opened disciplinary proceedings against Argentina international defender Roberto Ayala for his criticisms of the club last week. (The Independent)

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has tipped striker Louis Saha to step out of ex-Old Trafford star Ruud van Nistelrooy's shadow and help the club to success this season. (The Independent)

Winger Cristiano Ronaldo may play as a makeshift striker for Manchester United because the injured Wayne Rooney is set to miss Sunday's Premiership opener against Fulham. (Daily Mail)

New England boss Steve McClaren is keen to ensure what is said behind closed doors in the dressing room remains private and his decision follows the release of autobiographies by a number of the recent World Cup squad. (Various)

Bolton boss Sam Allardyce is angry that international fixtures have been scheduled in the first week of the Premiership season. (Various)

FUNNIES

West Ham striker Dean Ashton thought he was the victim of a wind-up when he was summoned to join the England squad for Wednesday's friendly with Greece. (Daily Mirror)

Not a mention today, eh??

Going by the fact that we've been mentioned time and time again with nothing actually happening, I fully expect us to announce a signing in the next couple of days ;)

Not a mention today, eh??

Going by the fact that we've been mentioned time and time again with nothing actually happening, I fully expect us to announce a signing in the next couple of days :)

176581[/snapback]

;) haha so true! Would be hilarious if we signed like 3 players....

This Gossip Column thing is bollocks anyway, but with a week to go to the start of the season, I'm no less concerned at the lack of transfer activity. Gravesen's agent apparently saying they're talking with several clubs etc. No suggestion from anywhere that there's a bid in for Martins (I'm sure Inter would be shouting it from the rooftops to kick-off a bidding war). No movement on Bridge by the look of things.

Canny good.

This Gossip Column thing is bollocks anyway, but with a week to go to the start of the season, I'm no less concerned at the lack of transfer activity.  Gravesen's agent apparently saying they're talking with several clubs etc.  No suggestion from anywhere that there's a bid in for Martins (I'm sure Inter would be shouting it from the rooftops to kick-off a bidding war).  No movement on Bridge by the look of things.

Canny good.

176588[/snapback]

Ah, but maybe we have a 'special relationship' with Inter, also?? ;) After all, we signed Emre from them not so long ago!

I think Sivebaek (sp?) is just playing for more cash tbh. Incidentally is that the little shitehawk who used to play for Man Utd in the 80s?

Bridge I reckon will join on a season long loan with a view to buy next summer.

With regards to the strikers, I'm wondering if Roeder is wanting both and trying to persuade Fred to go with it with the fat man dragging his heels hence why he's giving positive noises about both?

Well if the links at NewsNow are to have any substance, Kuyt is as keen as mustard to join us as they're all reporting it ;)

176697[/snapback]

They're made up quotes from some wag on TyneTalk apparently. The Journal have printed them as factual quotes though, the clueless cretins.