Video Game: Bully

MattM4

Something about this game is wrong.

Don't get me wrong...I've played all the GTAs etc etc killing my fair share of whores, ran over my fair share of cops etc....

But fuckin kicking the shit into kids and stuff? Its wrong...and its gonna have a really bad effect. Especially in America....

Just wait 2 weeks and after release you gonna see all these stories about bullying...Actually there is so much bullying anyways its probably not gonna matter.

Bad call tho imo....not a subject matter to make a game on

Something about this game is wrong.

Don't get me wrong...I've played all the GTAs etc etc killing my fair share of whores, ran over my fair share of cops etc....

But fuckin kicking the shit into kids and stuff? Its wrong...and its gonna have a really bad effect. Especially in America....

Just wait 2 weeks and after release you gonna see all these stories about bullying...Actually there is so much bullying anyways its probably not gonna matter.

177574[/snapback]

Any kid that beats kids up because they've done it on a computer game would have been beating kids up before the game came along, I'm sure. It is canny irresponsible though, and has clearly been made with controversy in mind.

I'll give it a month after it comes out before the Daily Mail has a picture of some kid with a black eye and MY VIDEO GAME HELL type headline.

177574[/snapback]

I agree. Without getting all high and mighty about it it just feels wrong to make a video game which involves bullying. It's a big enough problem as it is without it getting positive endorsement in a video game.

Skool Daze with better graphics tbh.

At the end of the day, this game will be age restricted I'm sure. If parents choose to let their kids play this stuff then they should take any responsibility if any copy cat incidents occur. I don't particularly see why I should be subject to the same restrictions though.

Has any one here got the game manhunt the one that was banned?

Yes, its crap...

177595[/snapback]

Agreed. I don't think it was banned though - I picked it up for a fiver a few weeks ago. Complete waste of money tbh.

Has any one here got the game manhunt the one that was banned?

Yes, its crap...

177595[/snapback]

Agreed. I don't think it was banned though - I picked it up for a fiver a few weeks ago. Complete waste of money tbh.

177599[/snapback]

I never said it was good I siad it WAS banned you can only pick them up pre-owned now as before they took them all of the shelf.

Edited by twiggy_nufc

Skool Daze with better graphics tbh.

At the end of the day, this game will be age restricted I'm sure. If parents choose to let their kids play this stuff then they should take any responsibility if any copy cat incidents occur. I don't particularly see why I should be subject to the same restrictions though.

177590[/snapback]

:D

Skool Daze was quality, but I never even came close to finishing it.  I couldn't work out what to do so I'd just spend all the time standing up in class and firing things at the teacher.

177622[/snapback]

I didn't realise you could finish it :D I thought it was all about messin aboot!

Skool Daze was quality, but I never even came close to finishing it.  I couldn't work out what to do so I'd just spend all the time standing up in class and firing things at the teacher.

177622[/snapback]

I didn't realise you could finish it :D I thought it was all about messin aboot!

177645[/snapback]

Yeah, I finished it. Impossible without a magazine walkthrough I reckon. Considering there was no save facility it was some feat actually. And what did you get? The line WELL DONE or something similar.

yeah from what little I know about the game it seems that you're a new kid in the Bart Simpson mould of nuaghty kid, you know mischeivious rather than a full-on bully.

it seems you've got to stand up to the bullies, do missions for girls you fancy or teachers etc.

I'm guessing it's GTA: the School Years

and echoing previous points it's the type of game that will have certain people up in arms, when really it fall well within the control of parents to stop the kid playing it.

• 2 months later...

The height of being pathetic:

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=68776

Major UK retailers refuse Bully

Major electronics retailers PC World, Currys and Dixons have refused to stock controversial Rockstar title Bully, renamed Canis Canem Edit in Europe.

All owned by DSG International, the group has confirmed the title will not be on sale in High Street stores PC World and Currys Digital, as well as online outlet Dixons.co.uk.

"We have no plans to stock Canis Canem Edit," said a statement from Currys.

"We're fully aware people will be able to buy this game elsewhere, but we feel this game is not appropriate for Currys' family-friendly image."

Advertisement

"We have a good relationship with the game's producers Rockstar, and look forward to working with them going forward," concluded the statement.

The above outlets currently sell a range of software, including 18-rated titles from a variety of publishers.

PC World is taking pre-orders for Rockstar Games' Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories, as well as Grand Theft Auto IV, to be released in October 2007.

Canis Canem Edit is released in Europe on October 27th, and carries a BBFC 15 rating.

I don't even see why it's 'controversial' tbh. Agree though, the exposure plan is working a treat.

Can you explain exactly what the game is about, because I think I can see where Dixons are coming from, but I think I read somewhere ages ago that the game's been misrepresented. Then there's the issue that if you're selling the likes of Saint's Row and GTA, the stance doesn't make a huge amount of sense.

Basically it's like GTA but you play a kid in a boarding school AFAIK. There might be bullying going on but it's not what you do yourself as the protagonist. As you say, it's very hypocritical when they do sell games where you can mow down innocent people with no consequences...

Note that the BBFC have rated it a 15 certificate, so it can't be that bad.

Edited by nufc4ever

Basically it's like GTA but you play a kid in a boarding school AFAIK. There might be bullying going on but it's not what you do yourself as the protagonist. As you say, it's very hypocritical when they do sell games where you can mow down innocent people with no consequences...

That sounds grand. I think they're probably worried about the whole aspect of more impressionable kids playing in a setting they're so familiar with. Even though it's 18s they know these kids will play it, and that's the same excuse they use as to why GTA et al are ok, because kids shouldn't be playing them. :calmdown:

Anyway, I'd be more worried about the teachers playing in such a familiar setting. Proper mentalists tbh.

From Rockstar:

The Rockstar tradition of groundbreaking, original gameplay and humorous tongue-in-cheek storytelling invades an entirely new setting: the schoolyard.

As a mischievous schoolboy, you'll stand up to bullies, get picked on by teachers, play pranks, win or lose the girl, and ultimately learn to navigate the obstacles of the worst school around, Bullworth Academy - a corrupt and crumbling prep school with an uptight facade.

The story follows Jimmy Hopkins, a teenager who's been expelled from every school he's ever attended. Left to fend for himself after his mother abandons him at Bullworth to go on her fifth honeymoon, Jimmy has a whole year at Bullworth ahead of him, working his way up the social ladder of this demented institution of supposed learning, standing up for what he thinks is right and taking on the liars, cheats and snobs who are the most popular members of the student body and faculty. If Jimmy can survive the school year and outsmart his rivals, he could rule the school.

Ready yourself for a hilarious return to campus living with Bully, the outrageously funny debut title from Rockstar Vancouver, available exclusively for PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system in North America on October 17, 2006.