Shock horror! A referee that's' SHITE!!

Geordie Boyo

It's more the players being dicks in this case. The ref told them right don't infringe or I'll have it retaken, and they didn't listen. Good on the ref.

Wish some refs would do the same and call all the foul throws we see these days.

• 7 years later...

I've often wondered if there is a more meaningless league table than the one above.

The only people impressed with a ref showing fewer reds and yellows than others are know-nowts acting as pundits/experts. Too many praise refs because they kept their cards in their pockets.` The ref did well by not showing a card' Bollocks i say.A yellow or red card offence should be exactly that.Too many refs cheat the smaller clubs by not showing cards when a player from a big club oversteps the mark.

Don't knock him when he's finally posting something that's not about the tramps!

I actually take his point too. It is a pretty pointless table. If all of the cards a referee dishes out are correct then there's absolutely no problem with him being top of that table. But if he's regularly making the wrong decision (either in the giving or not giving of cards) then that's a problem.

It's also worth noting that Phil Dowd (top in that list) and Lee Probert (bottom) are both fucking hopeless. As is Howard who's in the middle.

Would be interesting to see it broken down into certain referee's average against certain teams e.g. Webb and Man Utd, to see how much it fluctuates, would need to go back further to get more 'n' numbers I guess though for that to be meaningful.

But even then I guess you could argue you'd expect teams with more cloggers and less flair players to get more reds and yellows anyway, rather than it being an actual bias.

Tbf it's nigh on impossible to referee games these days. The amount of players trying to con the ref during every challenge, claiming for every free kick, corner, throw in. . . . what chance have they got?

Tbf it's nigh on impossible to referee games these days. The amount of players trying to con the ref during every challenge, claiming for every free kick, corner, throw in. . . . what chance have they got?

That's a fair point and another reason to hate footballers these days but there's still a staggering amount they get wrong and there still seems to be some referees who are much easier to con.

Don't knock him when he's finally posting something that's not about the tramps!

I actually take his point too. It is a pretty pointless table. If all of the cards a referee dishes out are correct then there's absolutely no problem with him being top of that table. But if he's regularly making the wrong decision (either in the giving or not giving of cards) then that's a problem.

It's also worth noting that Phil Dowd (top in that list) and Lee Probert (bottom) are both fucking hopeless. As is Howard who's in the middle.

That's only really an issue when the ref has very few games. Robert Madley dished out 3 red cards in his one game in 12/13. All were correct.

He only dished out one red card in the 5 games he officiated in 13/14. Over a large number of games it should balance out.

Perhaps a more interesting view is of the change from one season to the next....

34xoye9.jpg

So regardless of how harsh or leniant they've been, overall you can argue that Moss, Dean and Mariner are at least consistent.

Probert and Dowd were at either end of the original chart (covering 2 years) for leniance and harshness respectively. Of the refs that have taken 20+ games per season they are shown to have changed most from one year to the next, probert to increase his leniance and Dowd to brandish more cards than previously.