Martins in error plea

Scottish Mag

Obafemi Martins' representatives are to urge Newcastle not to let a clerical error wreck his hopes of a move to the Premiership.

The Inter Milan forward has long been dogged by accusations that he has faked his age and, although the situation caused great controversy in the Italian game last year, Glenn Roeder's leading transfer target is preparing to protest his innocence once again.

Martins - whose passport shows his date of birth to be October 28, 1984 - was forced to defend his reputation last summer after the Nigerian Football Association's official website insisted he had been born on May 1, 1978.

It was a situation that was pounced upon by an unforgiving Italian media and even now, 12 months after Martins believed he had cleared his name, he continues to be troubled by the matter.

It was not the first time the African nation's governing body published erroneous information that has had serious consequences for one of the Super Eagles' biggest names. And although a player branded a cheat had hoped the matter was closed following strenuous denials, Martins continues to be stained by the fall-out and is facing the prospect of seeing a high-profile move to the North-East collapse as a result.

Given that suggestions the striker is really 28 continue to haunt the San Siro favourite, United's reticence to press ahead with a deal for a player adamant he is only 21 would be understandable. But the delay could prove costly, with Valencia set to snatch Martins from United's grasp while investigations are made, leaving Roeder short of striking options on the eve of the new season.

Although the Spanish club are understood to have offered a lucrative six-year contract, the Nigerian would prefer to continue his career in the Premiership.

And his agent will seek urgent talks with Magpies officials in an attempt to explain an episode that the Martins camp maintain has been blown out of all proportion.

Inter have no doubts that the striker is just 21. The Serie A club demanded an apology from the Nigerian FA last year and insisted that all records were amended.

"Fortunately, my (club) president knows that the NFA is not well-organised," said Martins last year.

"It is clear they do not know anything about my age. So many false things have been said about me - including stories that I am from Cameroon."

Whether United decide to continue their pursuit of Martins remains to be seen.

Although the club's interest in a player who was being discussed so enthusiastically by Roeder at the end of last week appears to have cooled over the weekend.

While Dirk Kuyt remains on the club's radar, alternative targets are also being considered.

And sources in West London last night suggested that another Dutch international - Fulham's Collins John - has emerged as a potential recruit.

But with Newcastle's need for striking reinforcements so great, and with Martins determined to quit the San Siro following the arrival of Hernan Crespo and Zlatan Ibrahimovic, the African's representatives will urge United not to do anything drastic until the matter has been resolved once and for all. Meanwhile, Newcastle defender Paul Huntington is hoping to impress Ian Holloway this week after travelling to Plymouth for a week-long trial at Home Park.

The highly-rated 18-year-old is training with the Championship club's first-team squad. Should he impress Holloway, the Carlisle-born stopper will be offered the chance to join Plymouth on a loan basis.

"It is clear they do not know anything about my age. So many false things have been said about me - including stories that I am from Cameroon."

177579[/snapback]

This'll be Oliver's next exclusive: Deal on ice as 48 year old "Lying" Obafemi Martins is not even from Nigeria after all.

Wow i think thats the first i've heard anything saying he wants to come to the premiership...Thats good...

We'd have to be actually RETARDED to let that get in the way of this signing......

I know there have been some instances in the past where people from some of the African nations do not actually know their exact date of birth as there was no formal records made of such but I didn't think this was the case in more recent times. :D

It's all a bit mental that there is confusion over this kind of thing (age/nationality) these days...

Wow i think thats the first i've heard anything saying he wants to come to the premiership...Thats good...

We'd have to be actually RETARDED to let that get in the way of this signing......

177585[/snapback]

There are no quotes, dumbass. :D It's the Journal telling you he wants to come to the Premiership, not the player.

177585[/snapback]

There are no quotes, dumbass. :D It's the Journal telling you he wants to come to the Premiership, not the player.

177588[/snapback]

Errr...oh yeah

You know when you read stuff you wanna read.... ;)

I just want martins here so bad ;)

undefined  :D

It's all a bit mental that there is confusion over this kind of thing (age/nationality) these days...

177587[/snapback]

It's like that in wallsend.

I would still sign him. He's good so what does his age really matter.

He must be fit enough and he is not going to be here more than 3 years (my opinion based on the majority of foreign imports)

undefined  :D

177587[/snapback]

He must be fit enough and he is not going to be here more than 3 years (my opinion based on the majority of foreign imports)

177597[/snapback]

I guess when it really matters is if you want to sell him in 3 years time, and he's either in his mid-twenties or going into his early 30s. It would massively affect the sell-on value.

I know there have been some instances in the past where people from some of the African nations do not actually know their exact date of birth as there was no formal records made of such but I didn't think this was the case in more recent times.  :D

177587[/snapback]

youd be surprised how many people dont have their birth certificate.

undefined  :lol:

177587[/snapback]

177597[/snapback]

I guess when it really matters is if you want to sell him in 3 years time, and he's either in his mid-twenties or going into his early 30s. It would massively affect the sell-on value.

177600[/snapback]

I say we panic and buy him. Quickly. *Panics*