Working Mens Clerbs

sweetleftpeg

Prompted by a thread on the SMB, what do people think of the Working Mens Club?

Mine is also my local due to lack of decent pubs in my area (we have one that shuts down every couple of months after the landlords get sick of the trouble) and I get in there a fair bit. I know a canny few people in there, the beer is cheap, and the craic is good. However, even though I'm a semi-regular, you still aren't made to feel that welcome by certain sections in there. Taken the Mrs on a few Saturday nights to watch the Turn and God help you if you sit in someones seat, I was forewarned and waited for all the regulars to be in and seated before we sat down. One night we were in and the Turns wife won the Bingo, there was fucking hell on! :D

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to work in one in Hebburn and they're strange, strange places. The manageress had one tooth in her entire head which made her look like a grotesque fully grown baby. If you made any noise clinking glasses together when the bingo was on, there was hell on!

Anyway, I left to go and work in a nightclub in town and the toothy woman rang my house and absolutely bollocked my sister for me leaving. :D She couldn't get the old trout off the phone.

I went in a couple of times with a mate of mine whose dad used to drink in there all the time, but tbh, I just find them very weird places. I also worked in there on Christmas day and couldn't believe how many turned up as if it was just a normal day on the drink. Only with Christmas jumpers.

I always pop in Christmas Day for a couple of pints like. I feel strangley drawn to the place, my Great Grandad was a member and so on and so forth.

Another issue is women not allowed in the bar. Now, I agree that in the 21st century this is unfair. However, it's good in a way in that it keeps all the wankers segregated.

I always pop in Christmas Day for a couple of pints like. I feel strangley drawn to the place, my Great Grandad was a member and so on and so forth.

Another issue is women not allowed in the bar. Now, I agree that in the 21st century this is unfair. However, it's good in a way in that it keeps all the wankers segregated.

177675[/snapback]

I was allowed to work in the lounge on New Years Eve, having previously been restricted to the bar. Jesus wept at the clip of these bloke's wives. It's no wonder they spent every waking moment at the club.

Do you see many of your age in there when you go, or do you reckon it'll die out with our generation? I can't think of many of my mates that go to them.

A fair few young uns get in, the football team is basically just full of 18-19 year olds. Myself, I usually just get in on a match day or when we're away on Sky or England are on, and even them I only go in becuase I know the lads I go to the match with are in. If I had to just pop down in there on my own to watch it as a local I wouldn't go, if you aint in the gang then you aint in the gang. The Saturday nights I've been in are when it gets a but arsey, thnakfully we have a life so we've only been a few times, but there's no young uns in Satuday nights.

177675[/snapback]

I was allowed to work in the lounge on New Years Eve, having previously been restricted to the bar. Jesus wept at the clip of these bloke's wives. It's no wonder they spent every waking moment at the club.

Do you see many of your age in there when you go, or do you reckon it'll die out with our generation? I can't think of many of my mates that go to them.

177683[/snapback]

Very rarely go in them, but, I'm always amazed at the prices.

I used to think they were too plastic but now they seem to be coming around to being like pubs.

Good place to buy knocked off gear (alledgedly)

Waterloo in Blyth is 'THE' WMC  ;)

There will be very few left in 10 years though. Most of our regulars are starting to pop their clogs now unfortunately  ;)

177725[/snapback]

I'm failing to see the appeal for a teetotaller like :D

Are peoples nights out based purely on drinking beer like? I though people on here were joking when they said that!

I go for the craic with the regulars, cheap pool, darts, 5p bandits, Huge Tv for the footie, bacon fries and crisps that havent been available to buy in the shops for 20 years!

Are peoples nights out based purely on drinking beer like? I though people on here were joking when they said that!

I go for the craic with the regulars, cheap pool, darts, 5p bandits, Huge Tv for the footie, bacon fries and crisps that havent been available to buy in the shops for 20 years!

177738[/snapback]

No, it's just the only decent thing about them is the cheap drink imo. They're depressing as fuck otherwise.

A lad I grew up with runs a band* that plays all the working mens clubs so I've been in loads around the North East to watch him. Every one of them is the same. An arsehole concert chairman, who would stab you in the face as soon as look at you, complaining that your speaker is 3 inches too close to the dancefloor. Grotesque drink that I'm amazed they can give away let alone sell at discounted rates. Vile individuals who guard their seat like their young. And bingo players who seem to think marking their card is a task Jack Bauer would struggle with and require total silence for.

I love them. Funny as owt.

*Back in Black they're called - Link.

And bingo players who seem to think marking their card is a task Jack Bauer would struggle with and require total silence for.

177751[/snapback]

:D It's twue! It's twue!

I think some of them aren't as depressing as you'd think. The Committee are a bunch of power mad bastards like.

The bingo at the waterloo is more entertaining to watch than play. One of the main callers is a tad 'slow' , speaks like jonathan ross with a lisp and is hard of hearing! I called a £30 house last month and the bastard kept going!!!

I'm far too posh for WMCs.

The beer is invariably shit too, even if it is cheap.

177756[/snapback]

I went to a 60th birthday party at one quite recently. (No it wasn't mine :D ). Anyway it was at Burradon Club and it is (or at least was) a Fed Breweries club. The beer was fucking rank!

I'm far too posh for WMCs.

The beer is invariably shit too, even if it is cheap.

177756[/snapback]

I went to a 60th birthday party at one quite recently. (No it wasn't mine :D ). Anyway it was at Burradon Club and it is (or at least was) a Fed Breweries club. The beer was fucking rank!

177761[/snapback]

I used to get into a British Legion one a few years back with subsidised pints....WeHeeey!

Surroundings questionable mind, but after you lose focus it doesn't really matter.

The beer is the only redeeming feature, I've always thought.  Tastes nicer, isn't watered down, and as a result always seems to be stronger.  Depends what sort of a range they have obviously.

177760[/snapback]

You actually like drinking piss then Gemmill?

Along the same lines, Anyone been to the irish club at the end of stowell street. I use to go out with an irish lass at uni here and she took me along one night. Pretty entertaining, especially when the irish band got up and started belting out allt he songs off me pogues greatest hits album!