Free scarves for everyone at Wigan game...

Matty

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good idea for one game but there'll probably be thousands of scarves left lying around SJP and people will forget to bring them to future matches etc. Can't see it catching on throughout the season.

When I heard about the scarf waving, I thought it sounded GREAT!

I then watched the video of the game and it did indeed look GREAT!

However, reports of the scarf waving going on and on and on and on are just rubbish. The whole thing - and it was a magnificent sight - only lasted a couple of minutes. (a bit like the story of 30,000 mags singing 'Souness for Sunlun' all those years ago, was a myth - maybe a couple of thousand at most).

It would be GREAT if it really took off to the levels some folk thought it was, but I have a fear that the great Geordie tradition of 'Ahm not deein that, Ahm geet macho me man, and that's just for puffs' will take over and it will die a death.

But, as I said, I hope it does become a theme of SJP and isn't hijacked by some other club.

It was class at the Shearer testimonial when everyone waved the scarfs around. Good on the club for trying to recreate that. They have done their bit by supplying free scarfs. Many might scoff at the gesture, but many would moan at the club if they had said, "come and get your scarfs from the club shop witha 10% discount". So I applaud the club for trying to do the right thing. Now its up to the supporters whether it takes off or not.

No queue the "Man Utd dont give away free scarfs", "small club mentality" yadda yadda yadda :D

Well, it is the truth after all.

177805[/snapback]

I find it a bit cringeworthy myself but I guessed you would post that as soon as you saw it. It's a canny enough gesture I suppose.

Looks class on that clip. I'm still gutted that I missed Shearers testimonial. Is it out on DVD or have I dreamt it?

Edited by catmag

To be honest i dont think a free scarf is the turning point to whether someone will be going to the match or not....

177950[/snapback]

well if anyone's going to the match and doesn't want the scarf... :D

or perhaps it's best i check on ebay afterwards!