Bombs on planes - overrated threat?

Rob W

OK, what I would like to know is, how often has someone brought down a commercial jet liner using a device in the cabin and how often has it been tried?

I remember about 6 or so years ago someone left a bomb under a seat which exploded on the next flight. It only killed the poor bastard who had the misfortune to be sitting there. This is only one case but is it representative? Abd why is there no rational discussion in the media about it?

178954[/snapback]

:lol:

That chap with the shoe bomb - Richard something(?) was an attempt, although some would have you believe it was a setup, and I have read there is some sort of shoe swap scam that intelligence agencies are supposed to run on planes as passengers take off their shoes for comfort. Normally to plant drugs, though. Can't remember where I got that so can't say if it's credible.

178961[/snapback]

Richard Reid iirc. Half Jamaican-half English parentage. Worrying how Islamic extremism is so attractive to a disaffected youth like him (with no Islamic background I think) and vice-versa though isn't it?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, what I would like to know is, how often has someone brought down a commercial jet liner using a device in the cabin and how often has it been tried?

I remember about 6 or so years ago someone left a bomb under a seat which exploded on the next flight. It only killed the poor bastard who had the misfortune to be sitting there. This is only one case but is it representative? Abd why is there no rational discussion in the media about it?

178954[/snapback]

That chap with the shoe bomb - Richard something(?) was an attempt, although some would have you believe it was a setup, and I have read there is some sort of shoe swap scam that intelligence agencies are supposed to run on planes as passengers take off their shoes for comfort. Normally to plant drugs, though. Can't remember where I got that so can't say if it's credible.

178961[/snapback]

OK, I meant ones that had successfully gone BANG!

Could a small liquid bomb take down a plane? If anyone has any links to people other than us or similar know-nothings, I'd like it please.

178954[/snapback]

178961[/snapback]

Richard Reid iirc. Half Jamaican-half English parentage. Worrying how Islamic extremism is so attractive to a disaffected youth like him (with no Islamic background I think) and vice-versa though isn't it?

178964[/snapback]

Correct it was Richard Reid. I went to middle school with him...well there was a lad there called Richard Reid, it may not have been the shoe bomber one :razz: But mme and my mate found the idea it was amusing having known him in at school!

178954[/snapback]

178961[/snapback]

178964[/snapback]

Correct it was Richard Reid. I went to middle school with him...well there was a lad there called Richard Reid, it may not have been the shoe bomber one :razz: But mme and my mate found the idea it was amusing having known him in at school!

178970[/snapback]

I went to a lad with the same name too and also found it funny :razz::huff:

I went to a lad with the same name too and also found it funny  :razz:  :razz:

178978[/snapback]

That sounds gay.

178979[/snapback]

I meant to school with! You mincer :lol:

So can anyone answer my question? Just because, the real threats from chemical, biological and radiation (dirty bomb) attacks have all in fact been hugely exagerated by the media in the past.

I went to a lad with the same name too and also found it funny  :razz:  :huff:

178978[/snapback]

That sounds gay.

178979[/snapback]

I meant to school with! You mincer :razz:

178982[/snapback]

So can anyone answer my question? Just because, the real threats from chemical, biological and radiation (dirty bomb) attacks have all in fact been hugely exagerated by the media in the past.

178984[/snapback]

I'm not going to pretend I know. It might be difficult to get a unbiased answer anyway in the current climate though. You could always just ask Rob :lol:

178984[/snapback]

What was your question Rents?

178994[/snapback]

OK, what I would like to know is, how often has someone brought down a commercial jet liner using a device [that has gone off successfully] in the cabin and how often has it been tried?

178984[/snapback]

178994[/snapback]

OK, what I would like to know is, how often has someone brought down a commercial jet liner using a device [that has gone off successfully] in the cabin and how often has it been tried?

178995[/snapback]

I don't know the answer but to bring down a plane with a cabin device would be difficult. The reason being the amount of explosion and the lack of containment which the explosion needs to cause problems. I am not explaining this well but. a small amount of explosive set light to on its own wouldnt go bang. It needs to be contained in something to cause an explosion. If that something is for instance a plastic container again not much harm done as burning plastic wouldn't harm the inside of a plane. It needs metal to fragment to be seriously dangerous. The terrorists may have thought of doing it. But it really shouldn't have worked. Then again the f*ckers shouldnt have been allowed to take control of a plane with stanley knives. A couple of decently handy blokes could have retaken control. Plus if it wasn't for pilots being arseholes their cockpits should be completeley sealed with no access allowed by law during flights.

178984[/snapback]

178994[/snapback]

178995[/snapback]

FFS if you read the first post on the thread ..................

I'll repeat it here for the terminally lazy

This weeks "Flight" has a list of bombs in plane cabins 1980 - 2006

1981 Aeronica 0 killed on ground

1982 pan Am 1 cruise

1986 TWA 4 descent

Air Lanka 14 ground

Thai 0 cruise

Iraqi 0 cruise

1987 Korean 115 cruise - insurance job

1991 Aeroflot 0 cruise

1994 Phillipine 1 cruise

1997 TAM 1 climb

2004 Volga 44 cruise

Sibir 44 cruise

sooooooo - 12 incidents, 220 people killed - no-one on a majot western carrier since 1986, and except for the chechen bombers in 2004 none anywhere else

178984[/snapback]

178994[/snapback]

178995[/snapback]

FFS if you read the first post on the thread ..................

I'll repeat it here for the terminally lazy

This weeks "Flight" has a list of bombs in plane cabins 1980 - 2006

1981 Aeronica 0 killed on ground

1982 pan Am 1 cruise

1986 TWA 4 descent

Air Lanka 14 ground

Thai 0 cruise

Iraqi 0 cruise

1987 Korean 115 cruise - insurance job

1991 Aeroflot 0 cruise

1994 Phillipine 1 cruise

1997 TAM 1 climb

2004 Volga 44 cruise

Sibir 44 cruise

sooooooo - 12 incidents, 220 people killed - no-one on a majot western carrier since 1986, and except for the chechen bombers in 2004 none anywhere else

179038[/snapback]

OK, so 115 Koreans were murdered for insurance?

I get the feeling these cases are all rather different Rob, but yes, the answer was staring me in the face apparently. :lol:

"OK, so 115 Koreans were murdered for insurance? "

Aye - it was some busnessman who had gone bust - he insured himself for several million $ and then blew himself & everyone up - it occured a few times in the 50's and 60's in the USA but they wised up and they don't pay out so no-one does it anymore

the table covers ALL occurences so it sweeps up the insurance ones with the terroists

there'll be few swingers on here who will know EXACTLY what she was going to do I'm sure

179123[/snapback]

Have you introduced al Qaeda into your love making yet, Rob?

LONDON, England -- Despite a high level of alert at British airports, a 12-year-old boy managed to board a plane at Gatwick without a passport, ticket or boarding pass.

Tuesday's incident has raised concerns over security procedures in the wake of an alleged plot to blow up planes on trans-Atlantic flight.

The boy was detected by member of the Monarch Airlines cabin crew only after he was seated and had been given a drink and a snack.

He was removed from the plane by police officers before the flight took off.

"The boy had passed through a full security screening process and we are confident there was no threat to passengers, staff or the aircraft at any time," said Stewart McDonald, a spokesman for BAA, which operates Gatwick, Heathrow and five other major UK airports.

Sourse- CNN.com