Man City accept Boro Distin offer

Scottish Mag

Manchester City have accepted an undisclosed offer from Middlesbrough for French defender Sylvain Distin.

The 28-year-old, who signed for City in 2002, is now in talks with the north-east club over personal terms.

City boss Stuart Pearce said he was hopeful Distin would sign a new deal, but the player has rejected the offer of a contract extension.

Distin has played more than 150 times for City since signing for £4m from Paris Saint-Germain in May 2002.

Middlesbrough have earmarked the 28-year-old as a replacement in the centre of defence for Gareth Southgate, who retired as a player after being appointed manager earlier this summer.

Newcastle, with whom Distin had a spell on loan before joining City, had also been linked with the defender.

City had made it clear that they did not want to lose Distin, who was moving into the final year of his contract.

Speaking earlier in the week Pearce said: "Until people meet our valuation of Sylvain, he will stay where he is, which will only benefit me because he is a good player.

"It would be no skin off my nose if he enters the final year of his contract. I am a football manager, a year is a hell of a long time in football management."