Flashing the BIOS

ewerk

I've got a computer at work which keeps freezing with nothing on the screen moving and I've somehow been given the responsibility to fix it, which I don't mind seeing as it means I don't have to do any work for a few hours.

Logically my first step was to format the whole fucking thing and reinstall Windows Me which didn't fix the problem so it doesn't seem to be a software problem. After a bit of searching on the internet it seems that the problem may be my BIOS so I've got a .bin file to flash it.

So being at an intermediate computing level exactly what could go wrong if I fuck this up? Will the computer be entirely fucked? And what should I know to stop this happening? Any advice appreciated.

Cheers.

For starters I wouldn't ever dream of lobbing Windows Me on ANY machine. I'd use Win95 before I used that piece of shit. You got an alternative?

Nah it has to be Me due to the cracked software. We're talking about moving to XP but that means shelling out over £6000 for the software on six computers. You don't know any software for creating a virtual dongle?

Nah it has to be Me due to the cracked software. We're talking about moving to XP but that means shelling out over £6000 for the software on six computers. You don't know any software for creating a virtual dongle?

178603[/snapback]

Christ! talk about diversity, one minute your asking about XP software and in the same breath you want to talk about virtual sex! filth

All this talk about flashing the BIOS and waving my dongle around too much for you?

I've just managed to get the software I'm after for $150 so saving a few grand there. We'll probably replace most of the computers now so I don't think I'll have to worry about fixing this heep of shite.

I've got a computer at work which keeps freezing with nothing on the screen moving and I've somehow been given the responsibility to fix it, which I don't mind seeing as it means I don't have to do any work for a few hours.

Logically my first step was to format the whole fucking thing and reinstall Windows Me which didn't fix the problem so it doesn't seem to be a software problem. After a bit of searching on the internet it seems that the problem may be my BIOS so I've got a .bin file to flash it.

So being at an intermediate computing level exactly what could go wrong if I fuck this up? Will the computer be entirely fucked? And what should I know to stop this happening? Any advice appreciated.

Cheers.

178577[/snapback]

Flashing the bios can totally bugger the motherboard if you fuck it up.

Basically - you'll need the know the exact make and model of motherboard and then google for instructions of how to flash. i would then print them off.

Have you considered other problems that may be causing this? dodgy power supply, bad memory, hard drive about to fail??????? i'd try and rule out any other problems first before flashing tbh.

Last time i bollocksed up a bios flash i had to buy a new motherboard.

Basically - you'll need the know the exact make and model of motherboard and then google for instructions of how to flash. i would then print them off.

Have you considered other problems that may be causing this? dodgy power supply, bad memory, hard drive about to fail???????  i'd try and rule out any other problems first before flashing tbh.

178889[/snapback]

I've got all the details and I think I've got the right file.

How would I go about diagnosing those problems? I can't get the computer to stay on long enough to do much on it. I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to the hardware side.

Have you considered other problems that may be causing this? dodgy power supply, bad memory, hard drive about to fail???????  i'd try and rule out any other problems first before flashing tbh.

178889[/snapback]

I've got all the details and I think I've got the right file.

How would I go about diagnosing those problems? I can't get the computer to stay on long enough to do much on it. I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to the hardware side.

178923[/snapback]

Assuming that you know how to install a new hard drive, memory and a new power supply........just swap the components from the duff pc for components from another pc that works perfectly.

but swap components one at a time, obviously.

How did you test the memory marra? Through a prog on a 3 & 1/2" floppy (oo err)?

Or did you just change the module?

Is the heatsink on the CPU working? A Overheating CPU can cause it to freeze, make sure the heatsink is seated correctly and free of dust.

Cheers for the suggestions but I've decided to throw it out, it needed to be upgraded soon enough anyway and this way it makes my life a lot easier.

182464[/snapback]

Does that mean you flashed it and buggered it up? :blush:

Cheers for the suggestions but I've decided to throw it out, it needed to be upgraded soon enough anyway and this way it makes my life a lot easier.

182464[/snapback]

Does that mean you flashed it and buggered it up? ;)

182767[/snapback]

:blush:

Well I managed not to fuck it up, when I went to flash it I was warned that it was the wrong .bin file so I decided to give up and buy a new one rather than waste time trying shit that I don't really understand.

178603[/snapback]

:lol:

The whole point of the vendor giving you a dongle is due to licensing reasons so if you want more have to pay up!

I assume your company know they're breaking the law looking for illegal alternatives through copying dongles and using cracked software and the MD could go to jail ? :D