Wednesday's gossip column

Craig

TRANSFER RUMOURS

Reading are poised to sign Cameroon star Andre Bikey on a season-long loan, despite his sending-off against Swedish side Orgryte IS. (Daily Star)

Feyenoord and Holland striker Dirk Kuyt is ready to snub Liverpool in favour of Newcastle. (Daily Star)

Derby have beaten West Brom in the race to sign Arsenal striker Arturo Lupoli on loan. (Daily Star)

Martin O'Neill wants to use striker Juan Pablo Angel as bait to land Celtic's Stilian Petrov. (Daily Mirror)

Southampton have offered Fulham's former French defender Martin Djetou, who was released at the end of last season, a one-week trial. (Daily Star)

Dutch defender Andre Ooijer has gone on strike at PSV Eindhoven in a bid to force through his move to Premiership side Blackburn. (Daily Mirror)

Barnsley's bid for midfielder Lee Williamson has been rejected by Rotherham. (Daily Star)

Bolton are in talks with Spanish striker Diego Tristan about a move from Deportivo La Coruna. (Daily Mirror)

Manchester City are considering a bid for Tottenham winger Andy Reid, although they may be unwilling to meet the £3m asking price. (The Independent)

Newcastle are ready to sign Fulham's Dutch international striker Collins John for £5m. (The Guardian)

Thomas Gravesen will tell Celtic in the next few days if he is willing to join them from Real Madrid. (Daily Record)

Rangers want to unload four players in order to sign Bosnian defender Sasa Papac this week. (Daily Record)

Manuel Fernandes is on the verge of joining Portsmouth from Portuguese side Benfica for £8.5m. (The Times)

OTHER GOSSIP

Ashley Cole's autobiography will be temporarily shelved if he is forced to stay at the club. (The Sun)

Sheffield United striker Steven Kabba could be out for six weeks with a hamstring injury. (Daily Star)

FUNNIES

New England skipper John Terry wants to make new players sing in front of the rest of the squad. (The Sun)

Wycombe are to be fined £50 after they had to wear Bristol Rovers' away kit last week. (Daily Express)

Is that Daily Star story based on the quotes that someone made up the other day which were suddenly all over the internet? I suspect so. The only way he's snubbing Liverpool for us is if we're offering him double the wage tbh.

Is that Daily Star story based on the quotes that someone made up the other day which were suddenly all over the internet?  I suspect so.  The only way he's snubbing Liverpool for us is if we're offering him double the wage tbh.

178590[/snapback]

What about regular first team football, not guaranteed that at Liverpool.

Is that Daily Star story based on the quotes that someone made up the other day which were suddenly all over the internet?  I suspect so.  The only way he's snubbing Liverpool for us is if we're offering him double the wage tbh.

178590[/snapback]

Then again if it is true that he said those things about us then he might favour us more, plus he's knows he's guarantied to start most games for us.

I know a lot of players say stuff like this just to get other clubs interested, but what you normally hear instead of what Kuyt has said is that they want to move to the Premiership and play for a big club. Not I want to be the new Shearer and bet he new hero of our supporters wearing the number nine shirt (whether that’s true or not)

178590[/snapback]

Then again if it is true that he said those things about us then he might favour us more, plus he's knows he's guarantied to start most games for us.

I know a lot of players say stuff like this just to get other clubs interested, but what you normally hear instead of what Kuyt has said is that they want to move to the Premiership and play for a big club. Not I want to be the new Shearer and bet he new hero of our supporters wearing the number nine shirt (whether that’s true or not)

178596[/snapback]

Was that stuff not the made-up quotes though? I'm completely confused now as to what was made up and what wasn't. :lol:

Kuyt favours Liverpool

Kuyt favours Newcastle....

Kuyt wants champions league football...

Kuyt wants first team football...

WHEN WILL IT END.....

Well...August 31st probably...Dunno if i can stand any more of this back and forth shit...Just proves how useless the media are in the is effing country when it comes to transfers... I know its a gossip column but still....

I don't think he's ever really came out and denied anything being said. You would have thought he would have done by now if he's determined to play for Liverpool speaking up about them rather than us. I don't know what to believe either. I'm sick of fucking waiting on what's going to happen, tbh...! :lol:

Guest Patrokles

The problem with this transfer stuff is obviously that, short term, the club's best interests (ie, not conducting their business through the press) is at odds with the some fans' best interests (ie, being desperate to know what's happening).

The problem with this transfer stuff is obviously that, short term, the club's best interests (ie, not conducting their business through the press) is at odds with the some fans' best interests (ie, being desperate to know what's happening).

178671[/snapback]

I agree with that to a certain extent - some of the idiots yesterday moaning that Roeder didn't map out the next two weeks in terms of who would sign when etc was daft. But I don't think it's unreasonable for us to have expected some movement on signings by now. Roeder admitted himself that we are not as far on as he would have hoped by this stage of the window.

Guest Patrokles

178671[/snapback]

I agree with that to a certain extent - some of the idiots yesterday moaning that Roeder didn't map out the next two weeks in terms of who would sign when etc was daft. But I don't think it's unreasonable for us to have expected some movement on signings by now. Roeder admitted himself that we are not as far on as he would have hoped by this stage of the window.

178673[/snapback]

Well, no, I agree that I would have expected a bit more in terms of inbound transfer activity. But I personally don't think it's through lack of trying, so I can't really be too judgemental.

178671[/snapback]

178673[/snapback]

Well, no, I agree that I would have expected a bit more in terms of inbound transfer activity. But I personally don't think it's through lack of trying, so I can't really be too judgemental.

178757[/snapback]

I don't think it's through lack of trying, but you can see from what Roeder said yesterday, namely "....but with the transfer window coming to a close at the end of August, a decision or two is going to have to be made very quickly." that we haven't really made any firm bids for anyone. I would have hoped the "decision or two" would have been reached by this stage. If we make a decision and can't convince the player to come here, we're screwed.

Guest Patrokles

I think the problem is mainly that he probably had a list of targets already playing in the Premiership, and so he hadn't seriously seriously considered the likes of Kuyt and Martins (even though Kuyt was on the radar). I think there's a tendency (not from you, Gemmill) to suppose that these two are the only two players we were interested in all summer, rather than being on the back-burner and now necessarily being brought to the fore.

178590[/snapback]

178596[/snapback]

Those were the made up ones:

http://www.sportnetwork.net/boards/read/s7...t=565483&sid=70