Vincent Kompany

ChocChip

Don't know if this has already been posted, he moved to Hamburg for £5.5m. Seems cheap considering the prices that were being mentioned. If he's as good as was reported i think we really should have signed him, a big, quick, young CB with loads of potential. Apparently adept at DM as well. Put it into perspective, was the same price Boro agreed for Huth.

Bit like Kevin Hofland. Big things expected but never really happened.

178760[/snapback]

To what extent has it never really happened, he is only 20 years old, is already an established international player, player of the year in Belgium the year before last and has just secured a move to one of Germanys top clubs.

I would say hes doing alright for himself tbh

He's obviously got a sensible agent if you ask me.

He's made a step up from the belgian league to the german league and (reportedly) turned down chelsea in the process.

he's presumably got a plan to develop his talents further in germany and then make a big money move in a few years time.

Kinda like what daniele bonera did - signed for parma, stayed for a few years and he's just moved to ac milan.

Guest Patrokles

He's made a step up from the belgian league to the german league and (reportedly) turned down chelsea in the process.

he's presumably got a plan to develop his talents further in germany and then make a big money move in a few years time.

Kinda like what daniele bonera did - signed for parma, stayed for a few years and he's just moved to ac milan.

178955[/snapback]

Or perhaps he was enticed there by the prospect of a partnership with Boumsong.

178760[/snapback]

To what extent has it never really happened, he is only 20 years old, is already an established international player, player of the year in Belgium the year before last and has just secured a move to one of Germanys top clubs.

178916[/snapback]

Because 3 years ago Milan, Man U, Real et al were ready to bid £15mil+ for him, and now 3 years later hes off to germany for a fraction of that price.

Player of the year in Belgium 2 years ago is a bit like saying Jenas was the young player of the year here 2 years ago. Done fuck all since!

178760[/snapback]

178916[/snapback]

Because 3 years ago Milan, Man U, Real et al were ready to bid £15mil+ for him, and now 3 years later hes off to germany for a fraction of that price.

Player of the year in Belgium 2 years ago is a bit like saying Jenas was the young player of the year here 2 years ago. Done fuck all since!

179131[/snapback]

Was supposed to be the new Stam wasn't he? He's older than 20 though isn't he?

178760[/snapback]

178916[/snapback]

179131[/snapback]

Was supposed to be the new Stam wasn't he? He's older than 20 though isn't he?

179145[/snapback]

No hes only 20.

178760[/snapback]

178916[/snapback]

179131[/snapback]

What merits doing fuck all? Not being signed for £15 million + on the back of some newspaper talk? He won the league with his team and has continued to be an international player for his country..

He is also "alleged" to have knocked back Lyon and Chelsea who he said he would rather his career progressed than being another number. Still only 20 and appears to have a good head on his shoulder about how his career should progress, he has chosen to move to what appears to be an upcoming team in Germany who have made some impressive signings this year and are one game away from Champions League football.

178760[/snapback]

178916[/snapback]

179131[/snapback]

What merits doing fuck all? Not being signed for £15 million + on the back of some newspaper talk? He won the league with his team and has continued to be an international player for his country..

He is also "alleged" to have knocked back Lyon and Chelsea who he said he would rather his career progressed than being another number. Still only 20 and appears to have a good head on his shoulder about how his career should progress, he has chosen to move to what appears to be an upcoming team in Germany who have made some impressive signings this year and are one game away from Champions League football.

179188[/snapback]

Excactly, he also decided against joining one of the really big teams at young age as he was advised to get enough first team action and not take the route of other young players who move to big clubs too early. Hamburg is seen as good step up where he can follow in the footsteps of van Buyten.

Hofland suffered a severe injury and was out for nearly one year IIRC. He has probably never rediscovered his old form, but didn't play too bad in Jormany so far and got close to the Dutch squad again.

FM legend

178749[/snapback]

He's nee Nii Lampty, like

179210[/snapback]

I saw a fantastic documentary a couple of months ago about what happened to the Ghana team that won the youth world cup early in the 90s. Except of Kuffour no player made it. It's more or less a story of modern day slavery and racism.. Lamptey's agent was always trying to sell him on to pick up fees. Lamptey finally broke when his kid died and he couldn't be with it as he was employed in Argentina. He finally quit football and is running a school in Ghana today.

Looking an idiot in 2 currently running threads.  At least you're consistent :nufc:

179194[/snapback]

If having opinions at odds with yours makes me an idiot then . . . . . . <_< I guess I am.

Me saying Hargreaves had one good game for england and Kompany hasnt lived up to his expectations......both true im afraid!

178955[/snapback]

Or perhaps he was enticed there by the prospect of a partnership with Boumsong.

178981[/snapback]

One word:

Reeperbahn!

Looking an idiot in 2 currently running threads.  At least you're consistent :nufc:

179194[/snapback]

If having opinions at odds with yours makes me an idiot then . . . . . . <_< I guess I am.

Me saying Hargreaves had one good game for england and Kompany hasnt lived up to his expectations......both true im afraid!

179333[/snapback]

There is an old saying my boy:

Opinions are like arses, everyone's got one but you don't have to show it.