Official Match Thread : Newcastle v Wigan

Craig

Newcastle United v Wigan Athletic

newcastle_home.png v wigan_home.png

Saturday, 19th August, 2006

Kick Off 15:00hrs

Newcastle from : Given, Harper, Carr, Ramage, Bramble, Moore, Taylor, Boumsong, Babayaro, Parker, Emre, Solano, Duff, Butt, N'Zogbia, Milner, O'Brien, Pattison, Ameobi, Luque.

Stephen Carr picked up a hamstring injury on Wednesday night playing for Ireland and looks unlikely to be fit - Ramage is expected to deputise.

Duff (groin) and Given (back) were withdrawn from midweek international duty with Ireland as a precaution. Long term casulaties are Owen and Dyer.

Taylor and Milner came through Tuesday's England U21 game unscathed (the latter being an unused sub) while Wednesday sees Carr and O'Brien in action for Ireland and Boumsong turning out for France.

Wigan from : Kirkland, Pollitt, Filan, Boyce, De Zeeuw, Hall, Baines, Chimbonda, Johansson, Scharner, Skoko, Landzaat, Kavanagh, McCulloch, Cywka, Camara, Valencia, Heskey, Connolly, Wright, Jackson.

The Arnhem game saw all seven of Wigan's new signings on display, while wantaway Frenchman Pascal Chimbonda also featured.

New faces on show were: Chris Kirkland (goalkeeper, Liverpool), Fitz Hall, (defender, Palace), Emmerson Boyce (defender, Crystal Palace), Denny Landzaat (midfielder, AZ Alkmaar), Tomasz Cywka (midfielder, Zabrze), Emile Heskey (striker, Birmingham) and Antonio Valencia (midfielder, Villarreal).

The latter player appeared for Ecuador at the World Cup. However he didn't feature at SJP the previous week when the Spaniards were in Toon.

Referee :

Martin Atkinson (West Yorkshire)

TV :

UK - No live coverage.

USA - Fox Soccer Channel

Canada (Pacific & West) - Rogers Sportsnet

Canada (East & Ontario) - Rogers Sportsnet (on delay)

Japan - SkyPerfecTV Ch 306

Stats :

Should Nicky Butt feature, he'll make his first appearance for us in the Premiership since the defeat at Norwich in April 2005.

Duff's expected debut will see him become the 112th player to play for us in the Premiership.

We go into this match with an unbeaten run in all competitions that now runs to ten games, Charlton at the Valley in March being the last time we tasted defeat.

Our last meeting with the Latics came at SJP in April when we won 3-1, thanks to Shearer's final pair of competitive goals on home soil and one from Titus.

That was third time lucky in beating Wigan, having lost at the JJB 0-1 in both Premiership and League Cup games last season.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That Valencia lad looked a good player in the WC.  Could cause us some problems.

178767[/snapback]

huh, didn't even know he had gone to Wigan! seemed a cracking player indeed.

PS: those kits are lush Craig!

Reckon it'll be a draw if we're lucky tbh.

178930[/snapback]

Away and shite! They've lost Bullard and Thompson and signed Heskey. And we'll be much fitter than them. I fancy us to turn them over tbh.

Newcastle United v Wigan Athletic

newcastle_home.png v wigan_home.png

Saturday, 19th August, 2006

Kick Off 15:00hrs

Newcastle from : To follow....

Duff (groin) and Given (back) were withdrawn from midweek international duty with Ireland as a precaution. Long term casulaties are Owen and Dyer.

Taylor and Milner came through Tuesday's England U21 game unscathed (the latter being an unused sub) while Wednesday sees Carr and O'Brien in action for Ireland and Boumsong turning out for France.

Wigan from : To follow....

The Arnhem game saw all seven of Wigan's new signings on display, while wantaway Frenchman Pascal Chimbonda also featured.

New faces on show were: Chris Kirkland (goalkeeper, Liverpool), Fitz Hall, (defender, Palace), Emmerson Boyce (defender, Crystal Palace), Denny Landzaat (midfielder, AZ Alkmaar), Tomasz Cywka (midfielder, Zabrze), Emile Heskey (striker, Birmingham) and Antonio Valencia (midfielder, Villarreal).

The latter player appeared for Ecuador at the World Cup. However he didn't feature at SJP the previous week when the Spaniards were in Toon.

Referee :

tbc

TV :

UK - No live coverage.

USA - Fox Soccer Channel

Canada (Pacific & West) - Rogers Sportsnet

Canada (East & Ontario) - Rogers Sportsnet (on delay)

Japan - SkyPerfecTV Ch 306

Stats :

Should Nicky Butt feature, he'll make his first appearance for us in the Premiership since the defeat at Norwich in April 2005.

Duff's expected debut will see him become the 112th player to play for us in the Premiership.

We go into this match with an unbeaten run in all competitions that now runs to ten games, Charlton at the Valley in March being the last time we tasted defeat.

Our last meeting with the Latics came at SJP in April when we won 3-1, thanks to Shearer's final pair of competitive goals on home soil and one from Titus.

That was third time lucky in beating Wigan, having lost at the JJB 0-1 in both Premiership and League Cup games last season.

178752[/snapback]

Shirley thats copyright infringement?

Reckon it'll be a draw if we're lucky tbh.

178930[/snapback]

Away and shite! They've lost Bullard and Thompson and signed Heskey. And we'll be much fitter than them. I fancy us to turn them over tbh.

178938[/snapback]

Even with no further signings i expect a pretty comfortable win to kick the season off.

I can't say that I'm confident we can win this with just Shola up front (I expect the same team that played in the wafa game) on his own.

We might sneak an unconvincing 1-0 but I really don't see us doing anything but struggling badly to score.

The lack of movement up front is severely hampering our midfielders and I can see the crowd getting frustrated if we just try to play keep ball. This could lead to us trying to force things and losing posession putting pressure on a defence that is looking far from water tight at the moment.

I hope I'm wrong but I'm not looking forward to us putting on any kind of show.

I can't say that I'm confident we can win this with just Shola up front (I expect the same team that played in the wafa game) on his own.

We might sneak an unconvincing 1-0 but I really don't see us doing anything but struggling badly to score.

The lack of movement up front is severely hampering our midfielders and I can see the crowd getting frustrated if we just try to play keep ball.  This could lead to us trying to force things and losing posession putting pressure on a defence that is looking far from water tight at the moment.

I hope I'm wrong but I'm not looking forward to us putting on any kind of show.

178986[/snapback]

I'm the same, I'm hoping for a good performance and a convincing win, but if we go behind, I can see us struggling.

Apart from left wing and goalie, we're a very average team with a below average striker (singular).

Still, you never know...

179040[/snapback]

I still think in Emre, Parker, Nobby and the Zog (as well as the two you mention) we do have some quality in the team but I think the striker issue is dragging everyone down below where they should be.

Guest Patrokles

My prediction is that, if we are not ahead at half time, a crescendo of boos will rain down from the stands like THUNDER. It's the fashionable thing to do.

I don't hold any hopes, in fact I become more and more depressive when I think about the whole season. I really thought at the end of last season that our chances of a top six finish this season would look good if the right problems in the squad get adressed. But for me the whole business in the summer has been a total failure.

The fixture list suited us and we could have got into the season with a nice start this time. But I can't see where the goals are coming from and I don't hold high hopes on our defence. We should get home wins against the likes of Wigan but I can honestly see us just scraping a draw.

We will win this game because Roeder will motivate and organise the team properly no matter who plays.

People seem to be forgetting that we did alright at the end of last season with essentially this team, and now we have two extra attacking options. Yes we need a striker but without one we can still perform well enough to beat the likes of Wigmeisters at home.

Haway the lads. :(

We will win this game because Roeder will motivate and organise the team properly no matter who plays. 

People seem to be forgetting that we did alright at the end of last season with essentially this team, and now we have two extra attacking options.  Yes we need a striker but without one we can still perform well enough to beat the likes of Wigmeisters at home.

Haway the lads.  :(

180113[/snapback]

Amen brother.

I think we will win tomorrow. We have a good midfield, our defence is still questionable though. If Shola can carry on his pre-season form he'll do ok. Obviously we dont know how Luque has been doing in training, so maybe he or Milner could start with Shola. Or he could try the 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 (the three being Shola & two MF)

I think I'd like us to go 4-4-2 tomorrow, with either Luque, Milner, Duff or Emre playing off Shola. I just don't think Shola can play the lone striker role effectively.

180146[/snapback]

I agree. I'd go for Duff with the Zog on the left.

I think I'd like us to go 4-4-2 tomorrow, with either Luque, Milner, Duff or Emre playing off Shola. I just don't think Shola can play the lone striker role effectively.

180146[/snapback]

I agree. I'd go for Duff with the Zog on the left.

180236[/snapback]

I'm hoping for but not expecting that.

I fear we are more likely to go with the team that won in Latvia (except Carr if he's injured).