A-level results tomorrow.

Mark

I can't be bothered going back to quote but whoever it was that said they're going to do a Journalism degree - but don't bother.

I'm doing one at RGU (also a former polytechnic) and it teaches very little that you need to know and, having spoken to a few proper journalists, I know a lot of employers don't care about whether you have a degree or not - from a course with the backing of journalists or otherwise - they'd much rather see experience writing for someone on your CV. I'd advise you to try and get a job working for a local paper. I know it's not very flashy but four years working at a paper will put you miles ahead of most people with a degree when it comes to getting a proper job. They'll give you all the training you need to be a proper journalist and it will all be a lot more relevant than what you get taught at uni. If you really want, the NUJ run loads of courses in different aspects of journalism which you could attend and your employers would probably pay for you to go to them.

Having said that, I am thankful for coming to university as living away from my parents has helped me mature immensely. At school I always thought I was quite grown up but having to move away from home, cope for myself, fund myself and make new friends without running back to the folks whenever things looked a little scary has proved that I was rubbish back then.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed Walliver. I'd say get a BA in History/Politics/English/a language and then do a postgrad in Journalism/Broadcast Journalism or go straight into the local media and work your way up. Make sure your course is accredited by the NUJ or the BJTC though.

You a journo Walliver?

Agreed Walliver. I'd say get a BA in History/Politics/English/a language and then do a postgrad in Journalism/Broadcast Journalism or go straight into the local media and work your way up. Make sure your course is accredited by the NUJ or the BJTC though.

You a journo Walliver?

180964[/snapback]

Tbh. :(

Not yet. I've still got a year to go on my degree (despite what I said about it being a waste of time, now that I've started it I want to finish it to at least get the stupid thing). Luckily I have quite a lot of experience writing for different newspapers, official matchday programmes and now the student magazine so I should be okay for getting a job. That would be my second piece of advice - if you ignore my first piece of advice and go to uni, get in on the student magazine/paper as soon as you can. I left it until my last year but wish I'd done it sooner; the more you have to show a possible employer of your work, the better. And you get free CDs and tickets...

It was the 4 year course at Newcastle, and it was last years intake. I turned it down on the realisation that every medical student I ever met was a bellend. They seem to think that once they set foot inside that classroom on the first day they are no longer human, but actually a messenger from the gods whose only purpose in life is to have a stethoscope sugically attached to their neck at all hours of the day, particularly whilst in the hospital canteen to alert others that

'I AM A DOCTOR'

180938[/snapback]

Whatever you say J69. Firstly, as far as I am aware, Medicine is a minimum of 5 years, not 4. Secondly, there are plenty of students who have 4 As at A level who can't get a place on the course. You don't strike me as that academically gifted tbh. Thirdly, I find it strange that someone in the medical field would turn down the chance to become a doctor and instead become a policeman. Finally, although you're obviously generalising there is some truth in what you say. But the reasons you give for not doing it are pathetic - you are easily the most arrogant person on this board and you would no doubt fit right in.

Time to snap back to reality I think. The only person that loves you is yourself and your mum.

PS. A stethoscope comes in quite handy for doctors, thought you might have known that.

I know it galls you to think that I was offered a place on a medicine course but you will have to get over it. I turned it down because it deosnt appeal to me, I dont have the commitment or dedication to do the 4 year course let alone the 10 years of graft, rotations and exams before you end up on a decent wage and 40hours a week.

Mature students are preferable to Undergrads, especially ones with experience in a clinical setting and who have worked abroad. Im sure my parents jobs in the NHS didnt harm my application either but the fact is I was offered a place and after much deliberation decided it wasnt the life I wanted to live.

Ive wanted to be a police officer since a kid and the pay scale for an inspector is as good as most staff grades in the NHS.

oh and ps.

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/course/...ated_Programme)

I know it galls you to think that I was offered a place on a medicine course but you will have to get over it. I turned it down because it deosnt appeal to me, I dont have the commitment or dedication to do the 4 year course let alone the 10 years of graft, rotations and exams before you end up on a decent wage and 40hours a week.

Mature students are preferable to Undergrads, especially ones with experience in a clinical setting and who have worked abroad. Im sure my parents jobs in the NHS didnt harm my application either but the fact is I was offered a place and after much deliberation decided it wasnt the life I wanted to live.

[/url]

180975[/snapback]

Thank fuck for that. As Renton says, you've got a bigger superiority complex than any medical student I've met.

History = A

Geography = B

Physics = E

was my A lvls recovered from my AS lvls alot

Maths = U

Physics = U

Geography = B

History = C

don;t know how they recovered though i did fuck all this year too

i didn;t get into my first choice birmingham but i got into my second loughborough. wanted to come back up to newcastle but they don;t offer the course i wanted

Edited by Fordy

History = A

Geography = B

Physics = E

was my A lvls recovered from my AS lvls alot

Maths = U

Physics = U

Geography = B

History = C

don;t know how they recovered though i did fuck all this year too

i didn;t get into my first choice birmingham but i got into my second loughborough. wanted to come back up to newcastle but they don;t offer the course i wanted

181119[/snapback]

Good job you didn't take English

Ive wanted to be a police officer since a kid and the pay scale for an inspector is as good as most staff grades in the NHS.

oh and ps.

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/course/...ated_Programme)

180975[/snapback]

What a load of bullshit. You're telling me you went to the bother of filling in the application form, passing an interview, but then YOU, of all people, turned the chance down because you thought your colleagues were too arrogant, what with wearing a sethoscope and all. :lol:

You know, I can't proove you're lying, but why would it gall me? I am glad though that you're not doing it because I think you'd make a shit doctor. And now you seem to reckon you'll be made an inspector straight away. But you're not arrogant, are you? ;)

Btw, one last thing. If you have always wanted to a policeman, can you tell me why you have wasted thousands of pounds of the government's resources to become a nurse?

Well done mate, Liverpool is an awesome city

181076[/snapback]

Cheers mate i cant wait to move down there, but im gutted that i had to give up my season ticket

181431[/snapback]

I went to Liverpool Uni and met the missus there who did law incidentally. It's changed a lot since then but like Newcastle, mainly for the better. Enjoy it.

Well done mate, Liverpool is an awesome city

181076[/snapback]

Cheers mate i cant wait to move down there, but im gutted that i had to give up my season ticket

181431[/snapback]

I went to Liverpool Uni and met the missus there who did law incidentally. It's changed a lot since then but like Newcastle, mainly for the better. Enjoy it.

181434[/snapback]

Ill try mate, most of my mates are staying in Newcastle, which i cant understand as loads of people say going away is a brilliant experience

What a load of bullshit. You're telling me you went to the bother of filling in the application form, passing an interview, but then YOU, of all people, turned the chance down because you thought your colleagues were too arrogant, what with wearing a sethoscope and all.  :lol:

No that wasnt the main reason, ive already explained that I didnt want to hand my life over to the profession for the next 10-15years. Im not dedicated enough

You know, I can't proove you're lying, but why would it gall me? I am glad though that you're not doing it because I think you'd make a shit doctor.

B)

And now you seem to reckon you'll be made an inspector straight away. But you're not arrogant, are you?  :crylaughin:

I didnt say that. I said an insepctor makes similar money to a staff grade. Could take 5-10 years to get to that stage. The point im making is financially wise higher posiitons in the police are also well paid.

Btw, one last thing. If you have always wanted to a policeman, can you tell me why you have wasted thousands of pounds of the government's resources to become a nurse?

Just to get on your nerves obviously ;) I dont have to explain myself and my life choices to you mate.

Im glad that my turning down a place at uni pisses you off. Il see if I can dig out the letter for you and put it up on here :lol:

You calling me thick like?  YOU'RE the one who might have to re-do a year! :lol:

181782[/snapback]

;) Nah, course that's not what I meant :lol:

Seems a bit silly though that some subjects allow you to do two years in one year, but the one I happen to fail doesn't.. Just my luck