Kanoute - Sevilla deal done.

Scottish Mag

Striker Fredi Kanoute insists he has committed himself to Spanish outfit Sevilla and is looking forward to playing in the Spanish league.

Sevilla claimed to have secured the Mali international on a four-year deal from Tottenham on Wednesday, but reports then emerged that Newcastle were staging a last-ditch bid to hijack the deal.

Spurs insist Kanoute has still to pass a medical before sealing his switch to Spain, but the former West Ham man believes the deal is done and feels he will settle well in La Primera.

"I'm very happy to have signed a four-year deal with Sevilla," he stated.

"I've always liked the Spanish league and I think the style of game will suit me."

Newcastle have been desperately chasing a striker with the likes of Mark Viduka, Michael Owen, Nicolas Anelka and Luis Boa Morte all having been linked with a move to St James' Park.

Kanoute was also in the frame, but it looks like Sevilla have now secured the 27-year-old having agreed a £4.4 million fee with Spurs.