How to play the transfer window

Gemmill

Go aggressive and go early. Simple as that IMO. August is all about finishing touches if affordable players become available. It is not the month for conducting the majority of your business.

The position we're in now any striker we turn to, the club KNOWS they can demand big money off us and that we haven't got the time to walk away from the deal. Earlier on in the window if they try and take the piss, we just walk away. We don't have that option anymore.

We as a football club need to learn how to operate in a transfer window. Having a rest while the world cup was on is proving to be our undoing IMO. I appreciate that Roeder hadn't been in the job long, but I really don't think that excuses our current predicament.

Go aggressive and go early.  Simple as that IMO.  August is all about finishing touches if affordable players become available.  It is not the month for conducting the majority of your business.

The position we're in now any striker we turn to, the club KNOWS they can demand big money off us and that we haven't got the time to walk away from the deal.  Earlier on in the window if they try and take the piss, we just walk away.  We don't have that option anymore.

We as a football club need to learn how to operate in a transfer window.  Having a rest while the world cup was on is proving to be our undoing IMO.  I appreciate that Roeder hadn't been in the job long, but I really don't think that excuses our current predicament.

179692[/snapback]

I agree there. Kuyt to Liverpool is more of a 'final piece in the jigsaw' to use a shite cliche. Whereas for us, getting another striker in is an absolute necessity.

Go aggressive and go early.  Simple as that IMO.  August is all about finishing touches if affordable players become available.  It is not the month for conducting the majority of your business.

The position we're in now any striker we turn to, the club KNOWS they can demand big money off us and that we haven't got the time to walk away from the deal.  Earlier on in the window if they try and take the piss, we just walk away.  We don't have that option anymore.

We as a football club need to learn how to operate in a transfer window.  Having a rest while the world cup was on is proving to be our undoing IMO.  I appreciate that Roeder hadn't been in the job long, but I really don't think that excuses our current predicament.

179692[/snapback]

I agree there. Kuyt to Liverpool is more of a 'final piece in the jigsaw' to use a shite cliche. Whereas for us, getting another striker in is an absolute necessity.

179713[/snapback]

Exactly, Bellamy was their main striker move (the one they needed to get in). Kuyt just fills out their squad.

What makes it even more stupid is we have had a years notice that Shearer was going to need to be replaced, numerous years to work our Shola isn't the answer and a good six months to know we couldn't rely on Luque. Hell we've even known about Owen for what six weeks? We have no excuses.

One striker should have been in before the world cup and then we could have been working on the other areas we wanted to strengthen.

Yup. Liverpool could have conceivably told Feyenoord where to stick it if they'd tried to shaft them on the price. You allow yourself that luxury if you do things properly.

I just can't understand what the thinking is behind us leaving not just the strikers, but pretty much everything until now. If Duff hadn't all of a sudden become available I wonder whether we'd even have signed anyone by now.

17th today.  Two weeks to go.  Panicking is officially permitted now.

179722[/snapback]

Got to agree with Gemmill, it's Wigan this Saturday for god's sake and I'm sorry not sure even Ameobi can help us out.

Think we'll have to wish for a luck 1-0 win.

I'm not devastated that we haven't signed Kuyt, he never seemed that good to me, but if he was any better we wouldn't have been in with a chance anyway. The signing of Oewn was a pretty unusual set of circumstances and you can't base your transfer policy on chance everytime. We should have been targeting young and cheaper strikers with potential and then have belief in the quality of our coaching to bring them on. I'm sorry to say this but Newcastle are not a big club, no eurpoean pedigree, no trophies, no high profile manager so i believe this is the only way. The spending of £17m on Owen and £9.5m on Luque was just crazy, who ever thought we were paying the true market value on those two?

Farting about could be the difference in whether we qualify for Europe or not. We've got an easier start than a few others but if we draw games we could have won because our finishing is poor then we could drop 4 or 6 points that might be the difference come May. David Kelly is spot on, we've been aware of this situation for a long time. I also agree that Duff was very much a fluke, he told Chelsea he wanted to leave and we got in there.

Personally, I think we'll make a 'big name' signing before the end of the deadline for a massively over inflated price a la the Owen situation. Basically, panic and Fat Fred's ego will push us into making an offer for someone that a club can't refuse, exactly like the Owen and Luque signings.

Farting about could be the difference in whether we qualify for Europe or not. We've got an easier start than a few others but if we draw games we could have won because our finishing is poor then we could drop 4 or 6 points that might be the difference come May. David Kelly is spot on, we've been aware of this situation for a long time. I also agree that Duff was very much a fluke, he told Chelsea he wanted to leave and we got in there.

Personally, I think we'll make a 'big name' signing before the end of the deadline for a massively over inflated price a la the Owen situation. Basically, panic and Fat Fred's ego will push us into making an offer for someone that a club can't refuse, exactly like the Owen and Luque signings.

179734[/snapback]

So when we sign a decent player it's a fluke, but when it goes badly it's their fault, not bad luck?

Signing Owen last year (as Shearer's replacement in every way IMO) was a coup which would not have happened had we not paid "over the odds", or if we had not played the transfer window. Quite frankly I don't think 16m is over the odds for a player of his effectiveness and quality, the injuries that he suffered could not have been accounted for (although could have been better prepared for by paying for 2 players of less quality).

We didn't pay more than market value for Luque or Nobby, brought in very late, the fact that Luque didn't work out is down to a bad injury and a bad character, this appears to be something Roeder is keen to rectify.

The exact same noises were made last year, we did get the players needed in then and the problems last season were mainly down to the manager. The main worry is that the defence appears to be being overlooked again, but at lest Roeder seems to be able to get some semblance of a back four unit out of them, if last season is anything to go by.

Last season was down to rank management and a shocking injury problem (down to training maybe)

Owen was a tad expensive due to his injury history. Boumsong was 8.5m FFS, Surley he aint worth 8.5pence!

We shouldnt though be fecking about buying a striker with only 2 days left for the seaons to be kicking off, we need to get the in and gelling with the team!

I think the Duff=fluke thing is more a reference to the fact that if he hadn't become available we wouldn't have even signed a left winger. It was just a surprise that he became available and we did well to get him here - although to be fair it's not like there was a protracted struggle for his signature. Also, if he hadn't become available I reckon our "Players In" column on SSN would be empty.

By the way, we're three or four players down on last season's squad which was already too thin. We haven't got a hope in hell now of having a decent squad going into this season. One or two injuries.................

Edited by Gemmill

179734[/snapback]

So when we sign a decent player it's a fluke, but when it goes badly it's their fault, not bad luck?

Signing Owen last year (as Shearer's replacement in every way IMO) was a coup which would not have happened had we not paid "over the odds", or if we had not played the transfer window. Quite frankly I don't think 16m is over the odds for a player of his effectiveness and quality, the injuries that he suffered could not have been accounted for (although could have been better prepared for by paying for 2 players of less quality).

We didn't pay more than market value for Luque or Nobby, brought in very late, the fact that Luque didn't work out is down to a bad injury and a bad character, this appears to be something Roeder is keen to rectify.

The exact same noises were made last year, we did get the players needed in then and the problems last season were mainly down to the manager. The main worry is that the defence appears to be being overlooked again, but at lest Roeder seems to be able to get some semblance of a back four unit out of them, if last season is anything to go by.

179761[/snapback]

I would agree about Owen and Nobby but £9.5m was about £4m over the odds for Luque. The bloke who has a season ticket next to me lives in Spain and they had been talking £5m-£6m over there before we came in!

And just so that everyone is fully aware of our state. Last season we scored 47 league goals, the scorers of 20 of those goals will not be available to us for at least the majority of the season (if you don't count Clarkie as a player any more). The only addition we have made to the team managed three goals last season. That leaves us with 30 league goals in the team as of now which is one goal less than West Brom managed last year.

Of course players will play more games this season than last (well Shola will have to) but this still paints a very sorry picture.

I think the Duff=fluke thing is more a reference to the fact that if he hadn't become available we wouldn't have even signed a left winger.  It was just a surprise that he became available and we did well to get him here - although to be fair it's not like there was a protracted struggle for his signature.  Also, if he hadn't become available I reckon our "Players In" column on SSN would be empty.

179772[/snapback]

Roeder said he was after a player who could play down both wings or off the striker. We probably would have taken SWP on loan if Duff hadn't happened.

We've been in for at least 2/3 other strikers this summer and when Roeder says the quality ones are way over priced I believe him. If we pay 150% of actual value in 2 weeks time I would say that's about the same as we would have paid at the start of the summer for anyone other than Gudjohnsen and I'm very glad we haven't handed 12m to our Spurs for Defoe, not convinced by him and don't want to help their advancement. Anyone care to compare that fee to the Owen fee btw?

Nothing's changed to the position of a couple of days ago, other than we lost out to Liverpool on Kuijt, and we will now move on to the next target. We were in for him, however people want to perceive the way the game was played, and we lost out, what would people have thought had we just not bothered? Would you say that because Kuijt was the most public interest that they haven't been working hard on other transfers? Wouldn't think so.

Liverpool are now different league to us, we have to accept that, I think they'll run Chelsea very close next season with those strikers, in fact I reckon they could win it.

I would agree about Owen and Nobby but £9.5m was about £4m over the odds for Luque.  The bloke who has a season ticket next to me lives in Spain and they had been talking £5m-£6m over there before we came in!

And just so that everyone is fully aware of our state.  Last season we scored 47 league goals, the scorers of 20 of those goals will not be available to us for at least the majority of the season (if you don't count Clarkie as a player any more).  The only addition we have made to the team managed three goals last season.  That leaves us with 30 league goals in the team as of now which is one goal less than West Brom managed last year.

Of course players will play more games this season than last (well Shola will have to) but this still paints a very sorry picture.

179777[/snapback]

That will be a very sad state if we're still in that position when the window closes. <_<

I wasn't aware of that about Luque, what I had heard about him in Spain led me to believe he was a 10m player, I may be paying too much attention to fan boys.

Some good reads here now.

Also think the bindippers will win it and the buy of the season has to be Bellers <_<

I do seriousley think we will not sign anyone now <_< GUTTED!

179790[/snapback]

We're DOOMED! <_< Fucking hell, talk about only reading the bits you want to hear! :nufc:

We payed over the odds for Owen and Luque. Duff was a good buy, but it was an opportunist buy, which can be a gamble and seems to be the game we're still playing, which is why we haven't signed a centre forward yet.

Hehe Were DOOMED Mr Mannering <_<

It is a sad state of affairs, but Shola has had his chances when people have been injured and he hasnt taken them. So why hasnt management sorted the striking options out?

I think the Duff=fluke thing is more a reference to the fact that if he hadn't become available we wouldn't have even signed a left winger.  It was just a surprise that he became available and we did well to get him here - although to be fair it's not like there was a protracted struggle for his signature.  Also, if he hadn't become available I reckon our "Players In" column on SSN would be empty.

179772[/snapback]

Roeder said he was after a player who could play down both wings or off the striker. We probably would have taken SWP on loan if Duff hadn't happened.

We've been in for at least 2/3 other strikers this summer and when Roeder says the quality ones are way over priced I believe him. If we pay 150% of actual value in 2 weeks time I would say that's about the same as we would have paid at the start of the summer for anyone other than Gudjohnsen and I'm very glad we haven't handed 12m to our Spurs for Defoe, not convinced by him and don't want to help their advancement. Anyone care to compare that fee to the Owen fee btw?

Nothing's changed to the position of a couple of days ago, other than we lost out to Liverpool on Kuijt, and we will now move on to the next target. We were in for him, however people want to perceive the way the game was played, and we lost out, what would people have thought had we just not bothered? Would you say that because Kuijt was the most public interest that they haven't been working hard on other transfers? Wouldn't think so.

Liverpool are now different league to us, we have to accept that, I think they'll run Chelsea very close next season with those strikers, in fact I reckon they could win it.

179786[/snapback]

Jesus, is this what I sounded like with Souness? <_<