Ferdinand voices Newcastle fears

Scottish Mag

Former Newcastle forward Les Ferdinand believes the club will struggle to fill the gap left by his former strike partner Alan Shearer.

Shearer retired in April and with Michael Owen likely to be out for the season, Ferdinand worries the Magpies could find goals hard to come by.

He told BBC Sport: "It's very difficult to replace Alan Shearer and losing Michael is a huge blow.

"They need to bring someone in to support Shola Ameobi and Albert Luque."

Ferdinand, who scored 50 goals in 82 appearances for Newcastle, said: "I played alongside Shearer and his record shows he's without a doubt the best striker the Premiership's ever known.

"The club had a ready-made replacement in Michael Owen but life is going to be very different without both of them.

"Losing Shearer was a big blow to the squad and having Michael would have softened that blow.

"Losing two world class players at the same time will definitely be noticed but it will also give other players the chance to sparkle, particularly as Liverpool look like they are going to win the race to sign Dirk Kuyt.

I'd love to see Newcastle win a trophy because their supporters are amazing.

Les Ferdinand

"Ameobi definitely has the chance to shine. He's been in Shearer's shadow for the past couple of years and this will be the opportunity he needs to come forward.

"Luque isn't an out-and-out centre forward - his best position is on the left side - so it's not the same opportunity for him."

Despite all the problems up front, Ferdinand believes Newcastle manager Glenn Roeder could have landed the bargain of the season after tempting Damien Duff away from Chelsea for £5m.

"If Duff continues to perform the way he has started out then he'll be a great buy for Newcastle," the former England striker said. "He's been flying at Chelsea so should be set for big things.

"After the job Glenn did last season, it was right the club gave him the opportunity to have a go.

"I really hope Newcastle break their trophy drought this season. It's the one club I played for, apart from QPR, that I'd love to see win a trophy because their supporters are amazing."

How we could do with either a young Sir Les or Andy Cole now.  :(

Imagine the price they'd fetch in today's market.

180065[/snapback]

The current Sir Les might have a chance of a game or two the way things stand!