Toon won't buy a Kuyt

Scottish Mag

Newcastle United have moved aside and left the way clear for Liverpool to sign Feyenoord striker Dirk Kuyt for £11m.

A United delegation of chairman Freddy Shepherd and manager Glenn Roeder watched the 26-year-old striker come on for the second half at Dublin's Lansdowne Road, as Holland crushed the Republic of Ireland 4-0.

And there was talk coming out of Ireland late last night that Kuyt was coming back on United's private plane - and some television stations planned to be at Newcastle airport when it landed just before midnight.

But this was never going to be the case, as United only rate Kuyt in the £5m bracket and, unlike Liverpool, were not prepared to pay e15m for the Dutch striker.

What made last night's match all the more galling for Roeder was that a striker he would really love to see in a black-and-white shirt, Klass Jan Huntelaar, was the best player on view with his two goals.

But Roeder knows that the Ajax striker, who played against United for Heerenveen in the UEFA Cup a couple of seasons ago, is way, way out of his price range.

Obviously, United supporters are more than a trifle restless that no new striker has come in, and both Shepherd and Roeder are aware of this.

But bearing in mind the money some of his predecessors have wasted on the likes of Hugo Viana, Jean Alain Boumsong, Amady Faye and Albert Luque, the 64,000 dollar question has to be is Roeder right to wait for the right men?

Certainly when Roeder thinks of the money Shepherd made available to Graeme Souness in his 18-month stint at St James' Park, he must feel like sobbing his heart out.

Roeder had actually planned to go to Moscow last night to take in Russia's game with Latvia, but he could not get a visa in time.

And while United were in Latvia last week for the UEFA Cup second qualifying round tie with FK Ventspils, I understand it was a Russian striker Roeder was keen to have a look at.

Kuyt will now line up alongside Craig Bellamy at Anfield, and what would United give to have a striker of the quality of the little Welsh international in their team now?

After last night's match in Dublin Kuyt said: "There are a few clubs interested, but only one is my dream club."

Well that club was Liverpool and reports today that United had tried to change this by offering him a weekly wage of £90,000 are simply not true.

Meanwhile, another striker wrongly linked with United by his agent, Francesco Tavano, has now moved from Empoli to Valencia.

The Spanish outfit, like United, have been looking at the situation concerning Obafemi Martins at Inter Milan.

And it looks like Valencia have been put off about doubts about the real age of the Nigerian striker too.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Started reading it but couldn't go on. The headline writers at the Chronic will be gutted they didn't get to use 'Kuyt Flies In' though.

Well that club was Liverpool and reports today that United had tried to change this by offering him a weekly wage of £90,000 are simply not true.

179812[/snapback]

I'm sure the only time I've ever seen that figure mentioned was someone talking ironically on here or N-O?

It's like a guy I knew, who, when rejected by a girl, came back and declared that 'she's a lesbian anyway'.

179829[/snapback]

Is that what turned you? <_<

Guest Patrokles

What made last night's match all the more galling for Roeder was that a striker he would really love to see in a black-and-white shirt, Klass Jan Huntelaar, was the best player on view with his two goals.

179812[/snapback]

If that's true, then I can only say: <_<

It's really embarrassing reading that article though. What an over-inflated view Alan Oliver has of Newcastle United. Of course it's in his best interests to talk us up, but we're not stupid. We know that we're a nothing team compared to Liverpool. We don't need the ugly tosser to talk shit to soften the blow.

If there is around 5 million they've got they should go in and get Nugent from Preston. They'd get him and he could just be a really good player in the premier league.

179836[/snapback]

Wasn't Brock on about him? Had a canny game for the U21s the other night.

If there really is only 5m to spend on a striker I'll join the angry mob with torch aflame.

Why the fuck would we be trying to get the likes of Kuyt/Martins and another cheap striker.

If there is around 5 million they've got they should go in and get Nugent from Preston. They'd get him and he could just be a really good player in the premier league.

179836[/snapback]

Wasn't Brock on about him? Had a canny game for the U21s the other night.

179837[/snapback]

Aye he scored. Got two good goals last Friday night against Wolves too.

Just seems to me it's best to go in for someone on the up, we'd be able to get without too much trouble rather than taking the expensive foreign gamble option.

As has been said, the article is completely embarrassing.

But bearing in mind the money some of his predecessors have wasted on the likes of Hugo Viana, Jean Alain Boumsong, Amady Faye and Albert Luque, the 64,000 dollar question has to be is Roeder right to wait for the right men?

The sentence above is basically Shepherd telling us via his mouthpiece that we won't be getting anyone in.

I cany understand the logic in not getting anyone in.

Id even be satisfied with Nugent and John.

Martins or Kuyt wouldve been nice..

But at 68 if Obafemi might be past it..

What a load of fabricated bollocks.

Even if it was true then what the fuck was Roeder doing looking at him all summer when he knows he's not going to be allowed to leave for less than £10m.

I like the way Oliver says we weren't gonna pay more than £5m while Liverpool have agreed to pay €15m. Why not put both figures in sterling? Though I'm sure there will be a few gormless idiots who'll read it and think "Fuck €15m is a lot of money, I wouldn't have paid any more than £10m."

What a load of fabricated bollocks.

Even if it was true then what the fuck was Roeder doing looking at him all summer when he knows he's not going to be allowed to leave for less than £10m.

I like the way Oliver says we weren't gonna pay more than £5m while Liverpool have agreed to pay €15m. Why not put both figures in sterling? Though I'm sure there will be a few gormless idiots who'll read it and think "Fuck €15m is a lot of money, I wouldn't have paid any more than £10m."

179885[/snapback]

<_< Never noticed that. What a plank.

179836[/snapback]

I agree. He's looked impressive in the Championship.

Edited by Tom_NUFC

One problem is that, even though Shearer was slowing down, he was still Alan Shearer and as such, an attractive proposition to play alongside. With Owen out, what's left?

Who in their right mind would want to partner a bulls knacker like ameobi?

I find this from the Feyenoord Chairman interesting:

"Many clubs have tried to contact Dirk over the recent period, but he's said no to clubs every time because they were not appealing enough despite there being many renowned clubs among them. That characterises Dirk's attitude: either Feyenoord or my dream club."

Suggests to me that instead of just watching him play week after week we should have maybe talked to Feyenoord about talking to Kuyt. We may well have got the knockback a month ago, allowing us to focus on realistic targets instead of pissing away time pursuing someone we could never hope to sign.

Guest Patrokles
I find this from the Feyenoord Chairman interesting:

"Many clubs have tried to contact Dirk over the recent period, but he's said no to clubs every time because they were not appealing enough despite there being many renowned clubs among them. That characterises Dirk's attitude: either Feyenoord or my dream club."

Suggests to me that instead of just watching him play week after week we should have maybe talked to Feyenoord about talking to Kuyt.  We may well have got the knockback a month ago, allowing us to focus on realistic targets instead of pissing away time pursuing someone we could never hope to sign.

179897[/snapback]

Or maybe Dirk was just being a pricktease. Or the chairman was trying to appease the fans.