Toon won't buy a Kuyt

Scottish Mag

We used to be a selling club sammy.  We're not any more and haven't been for a long time now.  Ferdinand and Ginola were not examples of a selling club btw.  Nobody wants N'Zogbia to leave, but Duff's a better player on the wing, so unless he plays in a midfield five, he'll have to sit out his fair share of games.  He's only 20 though and he needs to understand this.

Sounded like Roeder is all too aware of what a talent we have on our hands, and I think we can trust him to look after the club's interests where N'Zogbia is concerned.

179981[/snapback]

Gemmill that's the first positive thing you've written in weeks but I think although you maybe right, the club is going about it in the wrong way.

And hopefully Charlie won't look at it in the same way I can see it.

I did say the term selling club was wrong and yes I know Ginola wanted to go but Sir Les didn't.

179986[/snapback]

What way are we going about it that needs changing? What way are you seeing things? We can't have just one left winger at the club. These lads have been brought up through youth systems and in squad environments where there was always competition for places. It'll be no surprise to N'Zogbia to be in a position of having to fight for a place. It'll be like that at any club he might leave us for as well.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way Sammy. I did read that sentence again about association with the club and as it's a form of pidgin english, the meaning is completely lost on me.

179989[/snapback]

:nufc:

Of course, how stupid of me, what with English being my second language it's no wonder you can't understand!

It's late, I'm tired.

You can all fook off. <_<

We used to be a selling club sammy.  We're not any more and haven't been for a long time now.  Ferdinand and Ginola were not examples of a selling club btw.  Nobody wants N'Zogbia to leave, but Duff's a better player on the wing, so unless he plays in a midfield five, he'll have to sit out his fair share of games.  He's only 20 though and he needs to understand this.

Sounded like Roeder is all too aware of what a talent we have on our hands, and I think we can trust him to look after the club's interests where N'Zogbia is concerned.

179981[/snapback]

Gemmill that's the first positive thing you've written in weeks but I think although you maybe right, the club is going about it in the wrong way.

I did say the term selling club was wrong and yes I know Ginola wanted to go but Sir Les didn't.

179986[/snapback]

What way are we going about it that needs changing? What way are you seeing things? We can't have just one left winger at the club. These lads have been brought up through youth systems and in squad environments where there was always competition for places. It'll be no surprise to N'Zogbia to be in a position of having to fight for a place. It'll be like that at any club he might leave us for as well.

179991[/snapback]

Gemmill, you do your job. You think you are doing it well because all your colleagues tell you how good you are doing. Your clients think you are great as you provide them with exactly what they want but your young and upcoming.

Then one day your boss hires someone else, someone who does your exact job.

You know there isn't enough work for two people with the same set of skills but they hire them anyway. He's older. You know he will want more respect from your boss. How do you feel?

Yes, yes I know professional football is different. But if you are on the up, and there is no doubt N'Zogbia is on the up, and another player, not a squad player, is signed because he is a bargain, because he's publically stated he "wants first team football," how do you react, what do you think the manager's opinion of you is?

179981[/snapback]

179986[/snapback]

179991[/snapback]

Gemmill, you do your job. You think you are doing it well because all your colleagues tell you how good you are doing. Your clients think you are great as you provide them with exactly what they want but your young and upcoming.

You know there isn't enough work for two people with the same set of skills but they hire them anyway. He's older. You know he will want more respect from your boss. How do you feel?

Yes, yes I know professional football is different. But if you are on the up, and there is no doubt N'Zogbia is on the up, and another player, not a squad player, is signed because he is a bargain, because he's publically stated he "wants first team football," how do you react, what do you think the manager's opinion of you is?

179995[/snapback]

Sammy man, every player at every club should be under pressure for his place. It's a fact of life in team sports. What do you suggest, that we have N'Zogbia and then intentionally buy a player that isn't as good as him to make him feel special? He'll get his chance to shine, I'm certain of it - I'm pleased to be able to say that he's TOO GOOD not to be given his chance (when was the last time we had a young player at Newcastle we could say that about?!).

What he won't get is an easy ride as first choice with nothing to spur him on. He'll be a better player for this competition and for having a player like Duff to learn from, I'm sure.

Sammy man, every player at every club should be under pressure for his place.  It's a fact of life in team sports.  What do you suggest, that we have N'Zogbia and then intentionally buy a player that isn't as good as him to make him feel special?  He'll get his chance to shine, I'm certain of it - I'm pleased to be able to say that he's TOO GOOD not to be given his chance (when was the last time we had a young player at Newcastle we could say that about?!). 

What he won't get is an easy ride as first choice with nothing to spur him on.  He'll be a better player for this competition and for having a player like Duff to learn from, I'm sure.

179996[/snapback]

Yeah yeah, I said I know this.

I suppose my arguement, about all I've mentioned, really is about newcastle's lack of timing in all the important thing.

Gemmill you said it yourself in the transfer window for dummies, comments.

I'm pointing out the other side, the how certain transfers affect the team and players within it.

I can see Sammy's point. When N'Zogbia was arguably our best outfield player last season (toss up between him and Parker for me), it must be very disheartening for him to see Duff come in and take his place, while at the same time seeing other players underperform week in and week out without being so much as challenged for their place.

My opinion is that you strengthen where you need to strengthen. See your weakest place - try and repair it. Then move on to the next weakest. Only when you've done all that and N'Zogbia is your weak link do you replace him.

I can definitely appreciate that £5m is a great deal for a player of Duff's quality, but with money apparently so tight, I'm starting to think that I'd rather have had that £5m spent elsewhere. As DotBum (I think?) said, when it appeared that Duff was going to be one of four or five and we had a bit of money, it was fine - but Duff on his own or only maybe one more coming in after him is a bit daft.

It's like if we only have £10m left for example, going out tomorrow and spending it on Buffon, because it's a good deal and he's better than what we have, or a £8m deal suddenly coming up for Robben - because he's better than Duff.

Edited by Wullie

179995[/snapback]

<_< T'internet is GREAT for these kind of things, shite analogy GOLD!

Go to bed you drunkard! :nufc:

The point still is that N'Zogbia does not seem to have signed a new contract for whatever reason. If he walks next summer we'd be kicking ourselves missing out on DD.

I still think GR will sign a striker..... although God knows who it will be ....and that money will be available. I also think Bridge will come once cole goes.

I know I shouldn't have, but I put Talksport on last night, and they had this Dutch journalist on talking about the Kuyt transfer. Basically, he said there was never any chance of Kuyt coming to us, there was an agreement made ages ago between Kuyt and Feyenord that he would only leave for Liverpool, Barcelona, or Bayern Munich. If any other club came in, he would stay at Feyenord. Apparently this has been public knowledge for quite a while.

GREAT!

Talksport are reporting a £12m bid from Portsmouth for Martins this morning.............................which would rule us out of that deal too, I would think. :(

It's Talksport like, so we'll see.

I know I shouldn't have, but I put Talksport on last night, and they had this Dutch journalist on talking about the Kuyt transfer. Basically, he said there was never any chance of Kuyt coming to us, there was an agreement made ages ago between Kuyt and Feyenord that he would only leave for Liverpool, Barcelona, or Bayern Munich. If any other club came in, he would stay at Feyenord. Apparently this has been public knowledge for quite a while.

GREAT!

180155[/snapback]

I'm seething tbh

GREAT!

180155[/snapback]

Any chance :( public knowledge :( means the same thing to Dutch journalists as in the UK? ie. PeashePud made it up and they all copied it...

GREAT!

180155[/snapback]

Any chance :( public knowledge :( means the same thing to Dutch journalists as in the UK? ie. PeashePud made it up and they all copied it...

180325[/snapback]

To be honest, I think it's quite obvious that Roeder could have saved himself the pointless trips to Holland and Dublin to watch Kuyt if he'd made a few phone calls. Both the Feyenoord chairman and the player himself have made it quite clear that he was never going to come to us.

So much for thorough research and 'wanting to know what a player has for his breakfast' - what happened to finding out if the player was interested in joining us in the first place?