Going on holiday on your own.

Holden McGroin

I was planning on going to america with a mate in October but he has dropped out. Now, I have loads of holiday and bank full of cash but all my other friends have been on holiday.

Thinking about heading away somewhere but I would be Billy No-mates.

Thoughts???? Anyone go solo?

I was planning on going to america with a mate in October but he has dropped out. Now, I have loads of holiday and bank full of cash but all my other friends have been on holiday.

179886[/snapback]

"I'm Free ".... <_<

I reckon you could have a class time in America by yourself if you just go over there, pick a starting point, decide on some places you want to visit, and just have a driving holiday from one to the other staying in seedy roadside motels along the way.

Whereabouts were you planning on going?

Guest Patrokles

You'll do fine in America. Traveling on your own is the best way to meet new people anyway. I'd suggest hostels rather than motels, though, since you're more likely to find decent people to hang around with.

179886[/snapback]

I went myself once when someone dropped out, made a couple of friends almost straight away and had a great time.

Wouldn;t go to the states though ... <_<

And it was an 18-30 type holiday equivalent.

Hostels aren't exactly common but don't let that deter you. Putting dialect/accent's aside you speak the language. The best hol I ever had was by myself on the Channel Islands and then England briefly. Go and enjoy yourself.

Edited by Mags

I always regret never going 'travelling' on my own tbh. went interrailling with 2 mates when i was a student and had a great time, but would have been so much better if I was my own boss. I could have chosen exactly where I wanted to go and where to stay without having the other two outvote me! I suspect I would have made more mates out there and would have been sure to pull without having the other two deterring the continental women <_<

I reckon you could have a class time in America by yourself if you just go over there, pick a starting point, decide on some places you want to visit, and just have a driving holiday from one to the other staying in seedy roadside motels along the way.

179890[/snapback]

San Fran. My mates dad lives over there. Were planning on hitting Vegas etc. as well.

I'm considering it cos wor lass is a work-a-holic and I'm going stir crazy tipping up for work everyday without the prospect of a holiday.

179931[/snapback]

I was going to invite you but that avatar just puts me off. <_<

Edited by Holden McGroin

179890[/snapback]

San Fran. My mates dad lives over there. Were planning on hitting Vegas etc. as well.

179959[/snapback]

Definitely go then. Hire a car in SF and go down the Pacific Coast Highway (the scenery is amazing) to Santa Monica - stop off at Monterey, Carmel and Santa Barbara on the way to have a look. Stop for a night at Big Sur as well. Hotel Carmel in Santa Monica is cheapish and not far from the beach.

Then drive from there to the Grand Canyon then onto Vegas from there, via the Hoover Dam. Then make your way back to SF to fly home. You can visit Death Valley as a detour on the way back, although it'll probably still be a bit hot in October.

Similar to the holiday I did in 99. You'd have a class time even by yourself. DO IT!

I'm considering it cos wor lass is a work-a-holic and I'm going stir crazy tipping up for work everyday without the prospect of a holiday.

179931[/snapback]

I was going to invite you but that avatar just puts me off. <_<

179960[/snapback]

He's much better looking than me to be fair.

I've done the whole travelling on my own thing when I went to Indonesia, Australia, NZ, South America, Asia etc etc 3 years ago. I agree its better when you are flying solo....but I would only be going for a couple of weeks so not an extensive time to meet people. <_<

I'd definitely do it. I'd much rather go somewhere on my own than miss out on seeing/doing something. There's lots of European cities I still want to see and am thinking about sorting out cheap weekends away to visit them. For the most part if you're going to the USA, as long as you don't go far off the beaten track there'll always be people along the way that you'll meet. Having watched Wolf Creek I'd have second thoughts about doing it in remotest Australia like <_<

I've done it a couple of times on a short break for a couple of nights and it's been good, personally I wouldn't do any longer than that, but I've really enjoyed doing it.

It was good as I was motivated to get round the sites of interest etc, rather than just get on the ale like I'd do if I was with the lads.

sadsacks go on holiday alone tbh!

180013[/snapback]

It's entirely preferable to being stuck miles from home with the likes of you tbh.

Edited by catmag

sadsacks go on holiday alone tbh!

180013[/snapback]

Seriously, do you just wait to see what the balance of opinion is in a thread then take up the opposing view so you can call the majority "sad"? It's getting uncanny now <_<

Yep. But honestly, if you go on holiday with your lass or your mates and someone comes to talk to you at the bar and tells you they are on holiday by themselves . . . . I wouldnt be breaking my neck to be their best buddy!

Yep. But honestly, if you go on holiday with your lass or your mates and someone comes to talk to you at the bar and tells you they are on holiday by themselves . . . . I wouldnt be breaking my neck to be their best buddy!

180022[/snapback]

You're presuming that everyone who goes on holiday alone just walks up to people in bars and goes "hello, I'm on holiday by myself, and I'm obviously not nearly as cool as you are cos you're sitting here with lots of friends while I'm here alone. Please be my friend"

Just because I may choose to go and visit somewhere on my own doesn't make me a weird loner with no friends. It means I can go where I want, when I want and don't have to compromise.

Don't be so fucking narrow-minded and dismissive.

It also means you eat meals alone, drink alone, see sights alone and ahve no one to discuss anything with.

A better idea would be to go on the Gap website or STA travel website where you can post on the message board and find someone in a similar prediciment to go with.

Narrow minded and dismissive!?

'I had the single worst night out in my entire life in CLS - what a fucking pile of shite.

And full of brain-dead, neanderthal wankers.

They are indeed massive cocks - the blokes in general, that is''

she says after 1 night out!

It also means you eat meals alone, drink alone, see sights alone and ahve no one to discuss anything with.

A better idea would be to go on the Gap website or STA travel website where you can post on the message board and find someone in a similar prediciment to go with.

Narrow minded and dismissive!?

'I had the single worst night out in my entire life in CLS - what a fucking pile of shite.

And full of brain-dead, neanderthal wankers.

They are indeed massive cocks - the blokes in general, that is''

she says after 1 night out!

180028[/snapback]

You seem to be missing the point. If I wanted someone to go away with - I do actually have plenty choice without going on a website to find another "loner" <_< I don't actually have a "predicament" whereby I have no friends.

And that one night out was indeed a bad experience, and one I don't intend to repeat. That was my experience, not an assumption I'm making about the place!

Edited by catmag

''the blokes in general that is''

*ahem*

180033[/snapback]

Yes, they were all blokes who were making cocks of themselves. I'm sure there are some decent blokes in C-L-S, I just didn't see any that night.