I see...

Guest alex

I am now thinking we would be better off waiting.

I know we are desperate and I know we are fucked without signing someone but would we be any better off signing some moron who's simply not good enough for an overinflated price?

At least if we wait we won't have to get rid of an extra man when we get relegated!

I am now thinking we would be better off waiting.

I know we are desperate and I know we are fucked without signing someone but would we be any better off signing some moron who's simply not good enough for an overinflated price?

At least if we wait we won't have to get rid of an extra man when we get relegated!

14519[/snapback]

The club will be keen to make us think that they've been sensible and not been ripped off. The reality of the situation is that these players should have been signed months ago. If prices are high now imagine what people will be asking when January comes and Shearer is out injured or something like that?

If we leave it till January like you say we will see prices even higher as we will be desperate and they will not want to sell at all and as you say we could be suffering with injuries.

And by then it may be too late to salavage something if we have really struggled for goals.

I agree totally. I just think the manager and chairman have fucked up our transfer policy so badly that we won't get anyone decent in now and that any purchase we do make will be an extremely ill advised panic buy that will leave us no better off with playing personel but have an extra (no doubt stupidly high) wage on the books and having forked out an inflated transfer fee.

Who knows, but if we don't sort something in the next 13 days we are fucked up front until January.

14509[/snapback]

bet those who said give Souness time are pleased now ...

Panic buy imminent

Who knows, but if we don't sort something in the next 13 days we are fucked up front until January.

14509[/snapback]

bet those who said give Souness time are pleased now ...

Panic buy imminent

14677[/snapback]

Ecstatic.

I don't rate Souness as a manager but the inability to bring in a striker ultimately rests with one man, the chairman.

14734[/snapback]

For me both are to blame. Souness for drawing up a apparently nonsensical list ( too late) and Fat Fred not being able to deliver from the list. I'm very much for not overpaying on players and that's why I wouldn't be bothered about missing out on the likes of Anelka. But we certainly should have started dealing sometime in April/May: a) the players would have been there ahead of preseason training, i.e. taking part in the intertoto, b ) the club wouldn't look so desperate now, c) other clubs would have more willingly done deals with their better players if they have time to replace them.

Edited by Isegrim

Totally agree - that list should have a minimum of six faces on it, if not more. For all the words about them having been working day in, day out since six weeks before the window actually opened, I'm struggling to think of an excuse for this, any excuse. I suspect its a high risk strategy of trying to get owen in, but there should at least have been one in for good measure.

Hopefully all will be revealed soon, thats the only thing I can think is that they have some massive ace card up the sleeve - but I doubt it.

I find it amazing that a club who had a competitive start before most is last past the post in terms of transfer arrangements.

Actually, no I dont find it amazing at all. It's typical.

I don't rate Souness as a manager but the inability to bring in a striker ultimately rests with one man, the chairman.

14734[/snapback]

For me both are to blame. Souness for drawing up a apparently nonsensical list ( too late) and Fat Fred not being able to deliver from the list. I'm very much for not overpaying on players and that's why I wouldn't be bothered about missing out on the likes of Anelka. But we certainly should have started dealing sometime in April/May: a) the players would have been there ahead of preseason training, i.e. taking part in the intertoto, b ) the club wouldn't look so desperate now, c) other clubs would have more willingly done deals with their better players if they have time to replace them.

14743[/snapback]

Yes, it's no as though the club was unaware of the need for a new striker (or two) long before the end of last season.

I think Anelka will sign on Deadline Day after he's had more time to kick up more of a fuss, and Fener will be desperate to sell.

15032[/snapback]

I have a strange feeling that he'll sign then too.

Luque and Anelka up front for us by the start of September would make me feel a bit happier :blink: