Glenn's strikers pledge

Scottish Mag

Glenn Roeder has pledged that Newcastle United's never-ending search for a new striker will go on , (writes Alan Oliver).

Certainly the United boss did not seem too disappointed at missing out on the signing of Dirk Kuyt from Feyenoord, especially as Liverpool are having to pay £11m for the Dutch striker.

And what will not be lost on a lot of fans is how Kuyt, who never looked like scoring for Holland in the World Cup, has gone for £11m while there seems to have been very little interest in Miroslav Klose - the competition's leading scorer.

Klose was at it again on Wednesday night when he scored twice for Germany against Sweden, and it would not surprise me in the least if United were not represented at the game.

And at £7m, the Werder Bremen striker would not be a bad buy.

Roeder is not prepared to talk about names as far as strikers are concerned, but he broke off his preparations for tomorrow's match with Wigan Athletic to tell me: "As far as a new striker is concerned our search goes on, and I will say that we are travelling to all parts of the world in that search, following up our leads.

"We do have other targets in our sights, but obviously new strikers are a priority and, after another meeting with the chairman yesterday, I know he is fully supporting our efforts.

"What I will also say is that if we do land all our transfer targets then we will be in a very healthy position indeed."

The Chronicle's revelation that Roeder had tried to go to Moscow on Wednesday night, but was unable to obtain a visa, has seen United linked with several Russian strikers today, including Zenit St Petersburg's Alexander Kerzhakov (below), but United will not be going down this line.

My own feeling is that United will bring in three - and possibly four - new faces by the time the transfer window

closes in just 13 days' time - hence the lack of a team photo so far this summer.

And it must not be forgotten that between the start of last season and August 31 United spent £27m on two strikers in Michael Owen and Albert Luque, and brought back Nobby Solano.

And all that after having signed Emre and Scott Parker in the close season.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Patrokles
Hope Alan's 'feeling' is right and this article is not a sop to appease the fans.

180373[/snapback]

I don't see what's so crazy about the notion of getting hold of the World Cup's best striker for £7 million.

And it must not be forgotten that between the start of last season and August 31 United spent £27m on two strikers in Michael Owen and Albert Luque, and brought back Nobby Solano.

And all that after having signed Emre and Scott Parker in the close season.

180361[/snapback]

I cannot believe he passed up on the opportunity to ad Lee "Local boy, living legend, geordie god" Clark to that list..

How has this cock sucking thundercunt Oliver got a job?

180376[/snapback]

The best think I have read in a long long time. I shall be using that in conversation as quickly as possible.

180385[/snapback]

'cock juggling thundercunt' I believe is the correct term. :(

Hope Alan's 'feeling' is right and this article is not a sop to appease the fans.

180373[/snapback]

I don't see what's so crazy about the notion of getting hold of the World Cup's best striker for £7 million.

180377[/snapback]

Although the price quoted is ridiculous even if it were true I think there would be about a dozen other clubs more attractive than interested too.

Man, I should have put money on the club having no number 9 at the start of the League season. It was like a self fulfilling prophecy, we all knew it was going to happen. Might as well have made something out of it. (will do next season)

18augkirtheadqoutepz5.jpg

:(

Man, I should have put money on the club having no number 9 at the start of the League season. It was like a self fulfilling prophecy, we all knew it was going to happen. Might as well have made something out of it. (will do next season)

18augkirtheadqoutepz5.jpg

:(

180618[/snapback]

How is it a self fulfilling prophecy?

We aren't signing anyone.  :shades:

180749[/snapback]

Fuck, Brock - you sound so unhappy! :rolleyes:

Divvent worry, Glenn saying this has given me added belief that we will have 2 0r 3 people signed next week. That's added believe as I always thought something would happen in respect of getting striker(s) in :lol:

I'm at a loss as to why they got all that cheese in, however! :(:(:lol:

Guest Patrokles

How does one make a tentative enquiry? Knock on Preston's door then run off, leaving only an anonymous note? 'NUFC 4 DN 4EVA <3 <3- RSVP- Y/N/M?'

Edited by Patrokles

I reckon you're looking at 5 or 6 million for Nugent.  Depends how much Preston feel they can take the piss/how desperate they are to keep him really.

180769[/snapback]

Exactly, Birmingham paying 4 million for McSheffrey done us no favours at all. Nugent is better IMO and leaves Preston in a position to demand quite a bit more than what the Brummies paid..