Butt's our key man

Scottish Mag

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

Nicky Butt, jeered on to the field by some Newcastle United fans in his last appearance at St James' Park, will be the key player in tomorrow's Premiership opener with Wigan Athletic.

United will start a Premiership season for the first time without a No 9 and definitely short of out-and-out strikers.

That is why Roeder will be looking to his central midfield men Scott Parker and Emre (below) to go forward - and they will be able to do so knowing Butt will play the holding role he performed so well in his days with Manchester United and England.

Roeder, quite naturally, does not want to name his team, but I would be surprised if, after Irish trio Shay Given, Damien Duff and Stephen Carr safely came through fitness tests, it differed much from the one which beat FK Ventspils in Latvia in the UEFA Cup a week ago yesterday.

The United boss admitted today: "It would be very hard not to pick Nicky Butt after the way he has performed in our pre-season games.

"We all know he scored twice in his last game at St James' Park against Villarreal but it was not just his goals but the way he played which impressed.

"No-one must forget the heights Nicky has reached in football and what he has won.

"I must say I have found him just as easy to work with as I did when I was one of England's coaches under Glenn Hoddle and he was a key England player.

"He wants to win even in training and that is the sort of attitude we want from our players this season.

"In our last game in Riga, Nicky gave Scottie Parker and Emre the confidence to go forward - and that is what I am looking for tomorrow."

The 31-year-old Butt will play his first Premiership game for United since the defeat at Norwich at the end of the 2004-5 season.

He will start his first league game at St James' Park since the infamous match in the same season against Aston Villa, when United had Kieron Dyer, Lee Bowyer and Steven Taylor sent off on what was one of the darkest days in the club's history.

Tomorrow, though, is the start of yet another new era under Roeder - and without Alan Shearer - and it is up to players like Butt to ensure it is not a false dawn.

Guest Patrokles
4-5-1 then? Great.

180372[/snapback]

Let's wait until after the game before passing judgement.

180375[/snapback]

I don't think you've quite grasped this internet discussion malarky yet...

:(

180378[/snapback]

Too sensible, you think? :(

4-5-1 then? Great.

180372[/snapback]

180375[/snapback]

180378[/snapback]

Too sensible, you think? :lol:

180384[/snapback]

Lol, in one! :(

You don't need to wait to see the game to know that a 4-5-1 with Butt, Parker and Emre as the middle three of the five, isn't going to provide us with an exciting attacking game.

We might win the game but it will be a case of grinding out a result if we do and that shouldn't be the position we're in going into the start of a new season at home to a team like Wigan.

4-5-1 then? Great.

180372[/snapback]

180375[/snapback]

180378[/snapback]

180384[/snapback]

What's your opinion on just playing one upfront at home to Wigan then, when we could conceivably play two, despite our striker shortage? Genuine question.

4-5-1 then? Great.

180372[/snapback]

180375[/snapback]

180378[/snapback]

180384[/snapback]

What's your opinion on just playing one upfront at home to Wigan then, when we could conceivably play two, despite our striker shortage? Genuine question.

180392[/snapback]

couldn't milner play a supporting role feeding on knock downs from shola? or is that a little naive?

4-5-1 then? Great.

180372[/snapback]

180375[/snapback]

180378[/snapback]

180384[/snapback]

180392[/snapback]

couldn't milner play a supporting role feeding on knock downs from shola? or is that a little naive?

180401[/snapback]

Milner didn't work well there in the intertwobob by all accounts. Mind you that was paired with Luque and not Shola.

4-5-1 then? Great.

180372[/snapback]

180375[/snapback]

180378[/snapback]

180384[/snapback]

180392[/snapback]

180401[/snapback]

I was thinking Duff.

Well I think he's made the best choice. A Win is the most important, pretty or not. Butt looked in in pre-season and Id rather play with players in form or any kind than risk a front two that offer little to nothing. By this I mean Luque who even when he said he was out to impress, didnt really.

Apart from 2nd half against Ventspils, I really don't agree with that, concedes far too much posession. It's a close one between him and Parker for that slot, though.

Apart from 2nd half against Ventspils, I really don't agree with that, concedes far too much posession.  It's a close one between him and Parker for that slot, though.

180420[/snapback]

I have to admit all I have seen is the wafa game and a bit of the friendly against the Spaniards so I don't know all of the facts.

But he was the best player by a mile for me in wafa game. He was our most creative player by a mile and backed that up with a lot of donkey work too.

The thing that might let him down is the lack of movement up front giving him very few options to make passes to.

Mine's not based on that much more, 2 legs Lillestrom, Ventspils and Villareal - none of them live - proper little armchair pundit, me.

He's obviously talented, has a range of passing that no one else in the team does, but whatever about lack of options I've seen too many times he's failed to make a pass over 10 yards, Amady Faye stylee, or go past one too many players and concede (again possibly lack of options). He's good in a 4-5-1, but we're missing the 1 from that equation.

Actually, thinking about it, I'm being harsh on his pre-season form, drop Parker for him and if he hasn't sorted it out over a couple of games, then I'll say drop him...except we can't drop our captain.

We have to use our two strikers sparingly.  If Luque doesn't play he can't get injured.  It's safest for all concerned if we adopt this approach.

180455[/snapback]

If he doesn't play we won't get psychologically injured, that's of more concern tbh.

Can someone explain it to me, because I'm having trouble; what position other than goalkeeper can get away with that little movement? I've seen his compilation and he looks a deadly finisher, but he can't get there without moving, so what's happened, confidence?

I've seen this Spanish league he's from, they move there too.

Guest Patrokles
4-5-1 then? Great.

180372[/snapback]

180375[/snapback]

180378[/snapback]

180384[/snapback]

180392[/snapback]

My opinion is that I don't have one until I've seen the game and how it works out. I do have an opinion on Emre, though. But that's well enough known.

4-5-1 then? Great.

180372[/snapback]

180375[/snapback]

180378[/snapback]

180384[/snapback]

180392[/snapback]

My opinion is that I don't have one until I've seen the game and how it works out. I do have an opinion on Emre, though. But that's well enough known.

180517[/snapback]

Bit of a cop out and a tad bizarre if you don't mind my saying so. I.e. not to have an opinion on how we should line-up. You're allowed to be proven wrong you know, happens to me all the time :(

Guest Patrokles
4-5-1 then? Great.

180372[/snapback]

180375[/snapback]

180378[/snapback]

180384[/snapback]

180392[/snapback]

180517[/snapback]

Bit of a cop out and a tad bizarre if you don't mind my saying so. I.e. not to have an opinion on how we should line-up. You're allowed to be proven wrong you know, happens to me all the time :(

180557[/snapback]

Well, I sincerely believe that it could go either way. We have the kind of midfield that would suit it potentially. I'm not full of confidence in the system, but at the same time I acknowledge it could work well. So I'm just going to hedge my bets. I do believe that the personnel we have limits us to playing with only Ameobi as a recognised striker. Would I like to see Duff playing just off him with N'Zogbia wide-left? Yes, but I'd also like to see Emre start, which would make that difficult.

Edited by Patrokles