Butt's our key man

Scottish Mag

Out of interest, when people put together their ideal lineups, do they just go for the strongest 11/team or take into account the opposition?

I think you could play Emre too (with Butt missing out). That would probably work. The trouble is with one upfront (for me) is that by erring on the side of caution you give Wigan a much better chance of getting a result and it's a bit of a 'must win' game I reckon.

Guest Patrokles
I think you could play Emre too (with Butt missing out). That would probably work. The trouble is with one upfront (for me) is that by erring on the side of caution you give Wigan a much better chance of getting a result and it's a bit of a 'must win' game I reckon.

180573[/snapback]

Yeah, unfortunately Roeder has said he'll go with Butt, so that factors in my thinking.

I think with 4-5-1 the game is won and lost in the midfield, and that's why I'd lean towards it a bit, because we'd have a pretty special midfield. I like 4-4-2, of course, but I do think to an extent you have to play players in their proper positions.

Also I think we have to take into account the fact that we've never really played with a defensive midfielder recently who is at anywhere near the top of their game. If Butt can continue to play as he did against Villareal, actually spreading the ball quickly and accurately, rather than safe sideways passes, then we could really reap the rewards. Also taking into consideration Parker's new license to roam- a role he's really just getting himself used to (ie, he got forward to greater effect against Ventspils than the previous games).

Then you have to think that if Ameobi can deliver a reprisal of his performance against Arsenal that time he played lone striker, then maybe we'll see a good show.

Yes, I'd far prefer a 4-4-2 with two top quality strikers, but we really don't have that luxury. I'd be interested in seeing N'Zogbia off Ameobi, but that seems unlikely.

I think the lack of movement/pace upfront nullifies the effectiveness of our midfield though. I.e. we'll have plenty of possession but we'll huff and puff trying to break them down. We shall see though. Of course, there's room for a bit of flexibility in terms of changes that can be made but I'd be inclined to 'go for the jugular' from the off against Wigan.

I think the lack of movement/pace upfront nullifies the effectiveness of our midfield though. I.e. we'll have plenty of possession but we'll huff and puff trying to break them down. We shall see though. Of course, there's room for a bit of flexibility in terms of changes that can be made but I'd be inclined to 'go for the jugular' from the off against Wigan.

180580[/snapback]

Exactly, we're okay in midfield and in Duff, Solano and Emre, we've got players who can really create something. The question is whether Shola can get himself into the right positions if he plays up front on his own.

Guest Patrokles

I'm inclined to agree with that (alex's); however, I do think we'll get quite a few set-pieces, which seem to be a very fruitful source for us currently.

Edited by Patrokles