This must STOP

Guest Patrokles

Guest Patrokles

So I'm walking today and I see a poster advertising a remake of the Wicker Man.

I am against remakes in general anyway, but it seems to me VERY MUCH as though since Dawn of the Dead was remade a few years back (and did alright at the box office), everyone has been jumping on the 'remake a 30-year old horror movie' bandwagon, and it's a bit naff.

If you're talented, do something fucking new. Make something amazing. Don't just ride the coat-tails of an older film just because you can add more fancy special effects. It's lame and it's pathetic and I think hollywood's dollars would be better spent encouraging innovation, not weary pointless retreading. TALENTLESS HACKS, the lot of them.

Edited by Patrokles

Guest Patrokles
Kids today wouldn't watch the wicker man.

If a shit remake makes them investigate the origional?

Champion.

180842[/snapback]

It's the cynicism of it, though. The Wicker Man is just the latest in a long line of (very specific, genre-wise) remakes, and you can bet that the directors and the studios aren't doing it to raise the exposure of the old films. It's laziness and greed.

Edited by Patrokles

Kids today wouldn't watch the wicker man.

If a shit remake makes them investigate the origional?

Champion.

180842[/snapback]

It's the cynicism of it, though. The Wicker Man is just the latest in a long line of (very specific, genre-wise) remakes, and you can bet that the directors and the studios aren't doing it to raise the exposure of the old films. It's laziness and greed.

180848[/snapback]

Course not.

But if a film is worth remaking, it's got to be canny in the first place. If I watch a shit remake, I think to myself "why was it worth remaking?" and go to the original.

It doesn't do any harm.

I'd like to apologise to everyone. In my pissed up state I was obviously in a live and let live kind of mood. Sobriety has returned me to my standard cynical viewpoint. And I stand by the opinion I posited many moons ago.....

There's far too many remakes like

The Wicker Man

Absoloute disgrace.  Why's the mother in on it?  Where's the folk music?  Where's the animal costumes?  :(  I'll bet it has a happy ending too.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Miami Vice

Superman Returns

Poseiden

The Omen

The Simpsons

The 39 Steps

The Lake House

School for Scoundrels

Pathfinder

Pulse

The Last Kiss

146183[/snapback]

Edited by Happy Face

The original was creepy like just caus ethe antagonists were weird scottish islander who probably are that weird in real life :( - somewhere!

Nicolas Cage cant recreate that - he'l probably pull a fucking AK47 and just kill everyone on the island!

With an American take on scots - that they all live in sheds and eat battered Deers legs..

Guest Patrokles

We should have a sweepstake for which horror flick gets remade next. I think the Nightmare series is too recent, and the Friday series is probably a bit too generic slasher-y. I reckon Don't Look Now, only with a LEGION of deformed dwarven killers slicing a swathe through the Venetian streets. or Rosemary's Baby, only without any of the social satire.

Guest Patrokles

This brings up an interesting point, actually- why not remake the films that were potentially great, but suffered from a few things that clearly didn't work/could have been done a lot better? I don't get why remakers remake the films that are generally already acknowledged as pretty great. If you have to remake, remake something you know you can improve upon and do it the credit it deserves.