Hands off our kids

Scottish Mag

Glenn Roeder has turned down an approach from Wolves for Newcastle United's flying Irish left winger Alan O'Brien.

And Leeds United got a similar response when former United first team coach John Carver, now No 2 at Elland Road, asked about fellow midfielder Mattie Pattison.

Wolves new boss Mick McCarthy, of course, knows all about O'Brien after his spell in charge of the Republic of Ireland team.

Roeder himself was in Dublin on Wednesday night when the 21-year-old O'Brien, came on for the second half against Holland to make his senior international debut.

And Roeder told me before today's game with Wigan Athletic at St James' Park: "Wolves and Leeds have come in for O'Brien and Pattison, but they are staying with us.

"We are looking for players, not looking to get rid of them and the time is not right to let O'Brien and Pattison to go, even if it meant they gained some experience of playing regular first-team football."

The 19-year-old Pattison. who has South African links, has already shown what he can do with a couple of starts in the Premier League at the end of last season.

And while O'Brien has yet to start a competitive senior game for United, he has five substitute appearances to his name and his full debut cannot be far away as he has something that is lacking in the United set-up at the moment, and that's pace.

Roeder adds: "Alan O'Brien is probably the quickest player I've ever worked with, especially from a standing start.

"He's like greased lightning and we need to keep him with us. Obviously, at this stage of his career he still has a lot to learn and he's a bit like a sponge trying to soak everything up.

"It was nice for me to be in Dublin on Wednesday night for his senior international debut."