Shola: The new Shearer

Jimbo

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtm...20/sfgnew20.xml

Newcastle (1) 2 Wigan (0) 1

Shola Ameobi insists he is the right man to replace Alan Shearer and Newcastle's homegrown centre forward proved as good as his word yesterday, scoring one goal and creating another against Paul Jewell's radically re-modelled Wigan.

"Shola has scored in every other game he's played since February," reflected Roeder whose side got away with some kamikaze defending. "I'm looking for a new striker at the moment but I want someone to play with Shola rather than to replace him."

Millions have been spent on players here in recent years but Newcastle's pitch still drains poorly and the afternoon's downpours left so much surface water that the ball refused to roll properly, making it difficult for either side to force a high tempo. Newcastle though were ahead at the interval, Ameobi confusing Wigan's defence by crossing with his right foot after initially shaping to do so with his left and consequently clearing the way for the impressive Scott Parker to head beyond Chris Kirkland.

By then Shay Given - who would later look relieved when Nolberto Solano cleared off the line from Arjan De Zeeuw - had saved well from Lee McCulloch and Henri Camara.

Camara is one of a litany of strikers linked with a potential move to St James' where the shooting boots vacated by Shearer and long-term absentree Michael Owen are still to be filled.

This is not for the want of trying on Roeder's part. Indeed Newcastle's manager has accrued so many air miles that he should probably be advising the government on aviation security.

Jewell has enjoyed greater transfer market success and his re-vamped, physically imposing ensemble boasted six new faces including Kirkland, on loan from Liverpool, Emile Heskey, Denny Landzaat and Luis Valencia.

Heskey conjured the equaliser, heading down for McCulloch to capitalise on some typically slapdash defending and curl a right-footed shot past Given. Yet, within minutes, Kirkland was beaten again, the keeper merely parrying Charles N'Zogbia's stinging shot before being confounded by Ameobi's half-volley from the rebound.

"Shola's got lots of technical ability and power, and he's learning to tackle back," enthused Roeder. "He's also a fantastic human being." Much more of this and Newcastle's 'Shearer's Bar' will soon be renamed 'Shola's.'

She's obviously no drainage expert is Louise Taylor. Maybe she thinks some storm drains down the middle of the pitch would do it.

It's made of mud and grass ffs, not sponge. A few years ago rain like that would have precipitated the hasty construction of an Ark in the Gallowgate end.

Still, I guess the players must have done OK.

Guest Patrokles

'still' drains poorly. Yeah, that's been a common complaint over the years. Can't defend, opinion divided over the chairman, and a pitch that SIMPLY DOESN'T DRAIN.

I bet she got straight A's for her English A-levels anarl. A truly dreadful piece of reporting.

'Newcastle's pitch still drains poorly' :lol: We always had a great draining pitch due to the ground being on a hill. As has just been pointed out, if any ground sees a downpour for a few hours before a game it is going to find it difficult to drain quickly.

'...should give advice on aviation security' ;)

Daily Telegraph is it? Hmmmmm, if it's the same as it was a few years ago, check out some of the names of the reporters - public school or what?

Re Shola - whoever the doctor is that has now twice advised us to give him injections on his hip instead of an operation, should be struck off. At the very least we shouldn't be taking any advice from him again. Not even 90 minutes into the Premiership season and his hip's buggered. Let's do the operation during the season eh. :lol:

Re Shola - whoever the doctor is that has now twice advised us to give him injections on his hip instead of an operation, should be struck off.  At the very least we shouldn't be taking any advice from him again.  Not even 90 minutes into the Premiership season and his hip's buggered.  Let's do the operation during the season eh. :blush:

181663[/snapback]

I've long been sick of the NUFC policy of ignoring injuries and the required solutions and instead having players go back and forth between playing and being injured when it could be sorted out once and for all.

One advantage we do have now is that we have Roeder who will put the players/club first rather than fuckwitt Souness who put his own selfish ends first so any players we do have struggling with injuries won't be chucked back in too early resulting in more serious injury.

"He's also a fantastic human being."

181216[/snapback]

:blush:

182396[/snapback]

I dont like hearing about how fantastic a human being Shola is supposed to be, it reminds me of people talking about Heskey and how he needs to be more mean and powerful on the pitch and all that bollocks... :blush:

Would prefer 'fantastic striker' tbh.

181216[/snapback]

182396[/snapback]

I dont like hearing about how fantastic a human being Shola is supposed to be, it reminds me of people talking about Heskey and how he needs to be more mean and powerful on the pitch and all that bollocks... :blush:

182415[/snapback]

1 goal every 2 games do you?

Hard to argue with his form of late, and when he picks the ball up wide on the edge of the box, he seems to have worked out how to harness his legs a bit more, and beat a man. He did class for the first goal at the weekend. His finishing has improved too - a couple of seasons ago his body shape would have been all wrong to take the chance he took against Wigan for instance.

I'm starting to wonder whether he mightn't be about to have a pretty good season for us - injury permitting. We just have to learn to accept how he looks on the ball sometimes, and also the fact that he isn't Shearer, doesn't play like Shearer, and never will play like Shearer. Of course part of that acceptance has to come from his teammates - Given and Bramble HAVE to stop pumping the ball long to him as winning a ball in the air with his back to goal isn't a strength of his.

His finishing has improved too - a couple of seasons ago his body shape would have been all wrong to take the chance he took against Wigan for instance.

182478[/snapback]

I think thats the most interesting part of the goal. The confidence and athleticism at once suggested to me a player on the rise and on top of his game. I think he will get better if he stays fit. He needs to keep improving but am not unhappy at him being here anymore.

His finishing has improved too - a couple of seasons ago his body shape would have been all wrong to take the chance he took against Wigan for instance.

182478[/snapback]

I think thats the most interesting part of the goal. The confidence and athleticism at once suggested to me a player on the rise and on top of his game. I think he will get better if he stays fit. He needs to keep improving but am not unhappy at him being here anymore.

182490[/snapback]

talking of him staying fit, what's his condition now? Will he be fit for Thursday or does he really need to go in for the op?

181216[/snapback]

182396[/snapback]

182415[/snapback]

182470[/snapback]

It looks like the Shola debate is still alive and kicking then... Wasn't a slur on the lad, simply pointing out the comparisons between the way he is spoken about and the way Heskey is often referred to as a 'fantastic' or 'gentle' human being :blush: .

I agree that recently Shola has worked his socks off for us, and got a good goal return. But we shouldn't forget that he has only scored 44 goals in 128 statrts and 87 sub appearences.

He will probably end up scoring 1 in 3/4 games over his career. I am happy to have him in the squad, but our 'fantastic' striker he is not...

181216[/snapback]

182396[/snapback]

182415[/snapback]

182470[/snapback]

It looks like the Shola debate is still alive and kicking then... Wasn't a slur on the lad, simply pointing out the comparisons between the way he is spoken about and the way Heskey is often referred to as a 'fantastic' or 'gentle' human being :blush: .

I agree that recently Shola has worked his socks off for us, and got a good goal return. But we shouldn't forget that he has only scored 44 goals in 128 statrts and 87 sub appearences.

He will probably end up scoring 1 in 3/4 games over his career. I am happy to have him in the squad, but our 'fantastic' striker he is not...

182944[/snapback]

...yet

Guest Patrokles

I think this season will be the one where he either really makes his mark, and lays down a proper claim for a starting berth; or just definitively proves he's a useful back-up.

Nice to see him getting a bit of credit from the crowd on Saturday anyway. He's done well lately and playing as a lone striker to boot. I'm not convinced he'll ever be the answer but I always find myself sticking up for him as I think some of the stick he gets at times is totally unjustified.