Shola: The new Shearer

Jimbo

Guest Patrokles
Nice to see him getting a bit of credit from the crowd on Saturday anyway. He's done well lately and playing as a lone striker to boot. I'm not convinced he'll ever be the answer but I always find myself sticking up for him as I think some of the stick he gets at times is totally unjustified.

183040[/snapback]

I agree, and what I find myself wondering is that if we'd signed him start of this summer, and he was completely unknown, whether people would be impressed with him based on pre-season/Wigan form.

Nice to see him getting a bit of credit from the crowd on Saturday anyway. He's done well lately and playing as a lone striker to boot. I'm not convinced he'll ever be the answer but I always find myself sticking up for him as I think some of the stick he gets at times is totally unjustified.

183040[/snapback]

I agree, and what I find myself wondering is that if we'd signed him start of this summer, and he was completely unknown, whether people would be impressed with him based on pre-season/Wigan form.

183044[/snapback]

He's played himself into the team for the time being thats for sure (even if we had other strikers...)

Completely agree it's about time St James got behind him. Even if he has his bad days, the stick he got at times was unfair and cant have been helping. I think if we are to see a new and improved Shola though, it has got to be this season as he is hardly a kid anymore..

Oh aye, he's got to grasp his chance this season. He's what? 24/25 years old.

183055[/snapback]

I may bet on him being in the top 4 english scorers this season. Rooney, Bent, Roberts etc will get around 15 goals. I thnk Shola can do that this season as at least this season the whole team wont be pandering to shearers weakness.

I like to take the piss out of him but the amount of starts he has had in his preferred position are not that great. He also made relatively a lot of starts 4 or 5 seasons ago where 1 in 2 figures would have been unfair in tems of expectations.

He has to improve but i have confidence thats whats about to happen. He definitely has been poor in the past but that had a lot to do with circumstance, confidence and fitness. The latter may be the only thing that holds him back a bit.

Good luck is my message as we are with him for foreseeable.

He's done well of late but what we're getting is as good as it will get imo. Decent reserve at best ideally.

182479[/snapback]

but he's always looked a different player when not playing alongside shearer.

he's got a massive chance now to prove us all wrong. i haven't got big expectations of him either but i'd love it if he made us all eat our words.

one things for sure: if he keeps his current scoring rate up he'll be undropable.

183040[/snapback]

Yeah the fat prick in front of me and his mate seemed to think after Shola set one up and scored the winner he needed to be described as shite for some reason!

When i told fatboy to stop talking bollocks he came up with the inspired argument that even on the goal Shola had nearly missed. I had to explain to him that he either scored and deserves credit, or missed and doesn't, nearly is fucking irrelivent (and it was bollocks that he nearly missed anyway!). Under Keegan we nearly won the prem but we didn't get a trophy for that!

I thought i'd got rid of the fat bloke as he disappeared not long after Souness was sacked. Possibly due to arguing with me about Souness and all the things i pointed out to him being instantly sorted under Roeder, sending us on the run we went on and fatboy having no comeback.

First time I've ever chosen him in my fantasy football team too :blush:

183068[/snapback]

Bloke I sit next to has always slagged him, but put him in his fantasy football team this season for some reason. Anyway, I've never seen him celebrate a Shola goal so much as Saturday. 'Get in! A goal and an assist!' ;)