Sunday's Gossip Column

Craig

TRANSFER RUMOURS

Chelsea will finally complete the bitter and protracted transfer of Ashley Cole from Arsenal for £19m this week. (Mail on Sunday)

But other reports say that Chelsea have now called off their chase of the England left-back. (Sunday Mirror)

And elsewhere, it is reported that the Gunners have offered Cole to Newcastle in a bid to reduce a £30m deficit. (News of the World)

Arsenal are talking with Real Madrid about the possibility of signing defender Jonathan Woodgate. (The People)

Owen Hargreaves has told his Bayern Munich team-mates that he wants to join Manchester United. (News of the World)

Former Manchester United and Celtic midfielder Roy Keane has turned down approaches from Premiership clubs to become their new manager - preferring to learn the ropes lower down the leagues. (Sunday Express)

Fulham's contract rebel Steed Malbranque could be offered a lifeline by Everton. (Sunday Mirror)

Newcastle are back in the hunt for Inter Milan striker Obafemi Martins. (News of the World, Sunday Mirror)

Peter Reid could be tempted back to Sunderland in a director of football role by chairman Niall Quinn. (News of the World)

Manchester City want Holland defender Joris Mathijsen as a replacement for Sylvain Distin. (Sunday Mirror)

Former England manager Glenn Hoddle could replace Leeds boss Kevin Blackwell, should he lose his job at Elland Road. (News of the World)

Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez is after Blackburn Rovers defender Lucas Neill. (The People)

Arsenal defender Pascal Cygan is wanted by Italian club Genoa. (News of the World)

Middlesbrough are chasing Fiorentina defender Tomas Ujfalusi. (The People)

Celtic are poised to complete the capture of PSV Eindhoven striker Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink. (Sunday Mirror)

OTHER GOSSIP

England boss Steve McClaren blasts FA disciplinary chiefs for their three-match ban of Wayne Rooney. (Various)

And Rooney is threatening to boycott marketing events surrounding the England team in protest at the suspension. (Various)

Steven Gerrard reveals the extent of the hatred between Liverpool and Manchester United. (News of the World)

Everton manager David Moyes is to take legal action against Wayne Rooney over comments made his book. (The People)

FUNNIES

According to the News of the World, the reason why Newcastle are back in the hunt for striker Obafemi Martins is because they have found out his real age.

The Magpies withdrew from the race after a clerical error said the Nigerian's was 28-years-old and not his correct age, which is 21.

And elsewhere, it is reported that the Gunners have offered Cole to Newcastle in a bid to reduce a £30m deficit. (News of the World)

I was waiting for it to say the sun not the ruddy News of the World.

Newcastle are back in the hunt for Inter Milan striker Obafemi Martins. (News of the World, Sunday Mirror)

Does not take rocket science he said yesterday that hes close to signing a striker with pace

Does not take rocket science he said yesterday that hes close to signing a striker with pace

181281[/snapback]

I hope it is, I think Martins is a cracking player.

I was joking with my mate at the game yesterday saying Cheryl Tweedy will be getting one Mr Cole to move up north :lol:

181299[/snapback]

She bought him a Toon shirt with "Cole 3" on it as a fun wedding present evidently.

That said Shaun Custis on TV today when asked said "no way we'll get him, he'll just say I'm not going there, and anyway we need strikers"

Edited by Toonpack

I've read the article we turned arsenal down said it wasn't good business sometimes I wonder what goes through the minds of people at Newcastle United

181337[/snapback]

Yeah, I know. Fancy making the right decision for once?!

My point exactly but I did also read that when the cole deal to chelsea does go through we get Bridge for £4 million

181383[/snapback]

I'd like Bridge, but for about half that amount.

'Cole to Newcastle' blatently a good headline with no story behind it.

My Point was that we need a left back and regardless of how much money we spent last year shepherds still loaded and could have afforded to pay that much for the best left back in the country

181428[/snapback]

You do realise that Shepherd doesn't fund transfers from his own bank account though, right? If we bought Cole we'd have NO money for any other players. It would be idiotic.

My Point was that we need a left back and regardless of how much money we spent last year shepherds still loaded and could have afforded to pay that much for the best left back in the country

181428[/snapback]

:lol: You're silly!

181428[/snapback]

Actually, you're right.

After we've bought the two best strikers in the world though, not before.