Martins set for Newcastle move

Scottish Mag

Newcastle are meeting with Obafemi Martins’s representatives on Sunday and expect to tie up a deal within the next few days for the Internazionale striker, skysports.com can reveal.

Martins’s management team are flying to England and will meet with a Newcastle delegation, including chairman Freddy Shepherd.

Skysports.com has learnt that a deal of €16 million (£10.9 million) had been struck between the Premiership club and the Serie A giants.

Newcastle have been locked in talks with Inter and Martins for a few weeks over a possible move to Tyneside.

Manager Glenn Roeder scouted him over the summer and highlighted him as one of his preferred transfer targets.

Now, after missing out to Liverpool for Dirk Kuyt, Newcastle finally look set to add a new striker to their squad.

If all goes well on Sunday, Newcastle could announce Martins’s capture as early as Monday.

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also one that I dont hear other people in for. However at the moment, the situation prb means we are forced to pay a bit over the top as clubs know how desparate the situation is.

His career goal record goes something like this...

Serie A - 28 goals in 88 games

Champions league - 9 goals in 22 games

UEFA Cup - 5 goals in 4 games

This is appearances btw not starts so it includes games where he's come on from the bench (which he has done alot for Inter) take into account the lad is 21 and has plenty of time to improve then we could have a hell of a player on our hands, also players with pace make a far bigger impact in the Premiership than they do in Italy.

Am a little bit concerned about the price.

In terms of goals he has been at about 1 in 3 for the last three years which is ok... sure he is quick, but his touch and finishing is poor from what I've seen, he is a bit like Cisse I reckon...

Also, is he 21? I know it sounds like ****stirring, but considering it was Babayaro who pointed him out as a team mate of his for the Nigerian under 21's 7 years ago, I would like to think we really are sure of his age before pressing forward with what would be an expensive deal for what we are getting

Guest Patrokles

Sometimes I despair when I see people bitching and whining constantly that we should be pulling out all the stops to buy a top-class striker, and then complaining that we lodged a derisory offer for Kuyt (OMG FIVE MILLION U DUN GET A good STYKER 4 DAT) and then, when it looks like we're going to sign a potentially very good striker, people complain about the price. You can bet your bottom dollar that if we offered £8 million and it didn't happen, the VERY SAME people would whinge that we should have given them 11.

Completely depends on who the player is and how we rate them... So in this case Kuyt (in my opinion) is worth more than £6m seeing as he has been top scorer in Holland for the past two seasons, and looks like a genuinely intelligent player with an eye for goal...

Martins is a reserve player from Italy, who has a bit of pace and is as yet unproven. I would have been happy for us to pay up to £10m for Kuyt but not for Martins. Its a fair enough opinion

Edited by JohnB

Completely depends on who the player is  and how we rate them...  So in this case Kuyt (in my opinion) is worth more than £6m seeing as he has been top scorer in Holland for the past two seasons, and looks like a genuinely intelligent player with an eye for goal...

Martins is a reserve player from Italy, who has a bit of pace and is as yet unproven.  I would have been happy for us to pay up to £10m for Kuyt but not for Martins. Its a fair enough opinion

181465[/snapback]

Martins has 9 goals in 22 games in the CL, Kuyt hasn't done a thing outside the Dutch league even though he's 5 years older.

For me Kuyt is the unproven player out of the two.

Completely depends on who the player is  and how we rate them...  So in this case Kuyt (in my opinion) is worth more than £6m seeing as he has been top scorer in Holland for the past two seasons, and looks like a genuinely intelligent player with an eye for goal...

Martins is a reserve player from Italy, who has a bit of pace and is as yet unproven.  I would have been happy for us to pay up to £10m for Kuyt but not for Martins. Its a fair enough opinion

181465[/snapback]

Martins has 9 goals in 22 games in the CL, Kuyt hasn't done a thing outside the Dutch league even though he's 5 years older.

For me Kuyt is the unproven player out of the two.

181466[/snapback]

If we sign him I hope you are right :lol: , I am only going on the limited amount I have seen of both of them and for me Kuyt is the more complete footballer, and will score more goals. Suppose its irrelevent anyway we will get to find out this season its looking like..

181465[/snapback]

*cough* Kezman *cough*

If he's 21 then great deal, but if he isn't then we're paying way too much for him.

I wouldnt mind seeing him in a Newcastle shirt, he played a lot of games for Inter last season I think.

Edited by Stephen

Guest Patrokles

We need a good striker with pace, it looks like we're getting a good striker with pace. By all accounts we'll have enough left over for a couple more signings. I don't see much of a problem personally.