Martins set for Newcastle move

Scottish Mag

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the C4 article:

Coach Roberto Mancini had become increasingly frustrated with his lack of composure, though, complaining that his feet were quicker than his footballing brain.

“If he can only harness that pace and technique, learning how to go a little deeper and run at defenders, then he could be utterly unstoppable,” said Mancio earlier this year.

Sounds like Cisse!

Looks great in those clips.

2 feet as well

181498[/snapback]

I saw some stats on that, just had a hunt for them, and yes, very much 2 footed:

Left foot:        24

Right foot:        20

Head:              4

Others:            1

Total:            49

http://www.forza-inter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128

The attitude on that forum seems to be that it's a done deal, obviously we have no idea how credible they are!

I really know very little about him, other than youtube, but judging from his attributes he's a a way safer bet than Kuijt.

Hard to really take a lot from youtube about his ability, but one thing you can conclude on is his pace. He looks as fast as fuck and if you can get the likes of him, Zog, Duff, Dyer (!?) and Owen (??) working together you could create a lot of chances. Let's just hope it goes through.

The first ray of optimism for a while!

EDIT! Emre too, not for his pace, but through balls.

Edited by Gemmill

I really know very little about him, other than youtube, but judging from his attributes he's a a way safer bet than Kuijt.

181514[/snapback]

Hmm, I am not sure. One is the young prospect from Italy the other one was the established captain of its club. I can't say too much about Martins as I don't bother watching Italian football a lot anymore. But I am very sceptical about this deal (if it goes through). Martins is way to expensive for me for a player who has proved nothing so far (in my eyes). And being a good prospect in Italy is one thing, proving yourself in the Premiership another as many failures from southern European leagues have proved. I hope Martins will become a major success, but I am just not convinced he is the right man.

Guest Patrokles

Ace quote from the Inter forums:

'I know we have 6 strikers and its about 70 % that he will play and 100% that he won't play, but I want to keep him!! we still have future in this boy.!!'

Looks great in those clips.

2 feet as well

181498[/snapback]

I saw some stats on that, just had a hunt for them, and yes, very much 2 footed:

Left foot:         24

Head:               4

Others:             1

Total:             49

http://www.forza-inter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128

The attitude on that forum seems to be that it's a done deal, obviously we have no idea how credible they are!

181514[/snapback]

Doing a bit more research into Martins stats at Inter...

Serie A. 28 goals in 88 games

Italian cup. 9 goals in 17 games

Europe. 12 goals in 29 games

Total. 49 goals in 134 games

From his 134 appearances 54 of them have been from the bench, he's also been brought off in 33 appearances meaning he's only completed the full 90 minutes 47 times. None of his goals have come from the penalty spot.

Info from the official Inter website.

Guest Patrokles

That's in Italy, too. fact is, no matter how good Kuyt is, Premiership defences will deal with him a million times better than they can deal with real genuine pace.

That's in Italy, too. fact is, no matter how good Kuyt is, Premiership defences will deal with him a million times better than they can deal with real genuine pace.

181523[/snapback]

Well, if you look at the quotes from Mancini than only his feet are quicker than this thoughts. Thankfully you always get loads of time with the ball at your feet in the Premierleague...

Guest Patrokles

181523[/snapback]

Well, if you look at the quotes from Mancini than only his feet are quicker than this thoughts. Thankfully you always get loads of time with the ball at your feet in the Premierleague...

181524[/snapback]

Self-defeating argument.

Guest Patrokles
Left foot:        24

Head:              4

Others:            1

Total:            49

What is 'Others' then? Did one bounce in off his arse?

181553[/snapback]

I think the thread on forza inter has every goal he's ever scored, read the descriptions and find out for us.

Greedy greedy agents!

181799[/snapback]

Explain.

181805[/snapback]

Don't know if it's what he's referring to, but Martins' agent is being quoted as saying that Martins is in the UK but is not at Newcastle and is going to be talking to a number of clubs.

Mind, the quote is from tribalfootball.

Nigeria striker Obafemi Martins says he is about to securing a move to English Premiership side Newcastle United.

"I'm close to moving to Newcastle despite all the initial setbacks," Martins told BBC Sport on Monday.

"Eighty percent of the deal with Newcastle is completed," he claimed.

The 21-year-old, who plays for Italian side Inter, has been unsettled since the club bought Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Hernan Crespo to strengthen their forward line.

Patrick Bastianelli, Martins agent, met Newcastle officials over the weekend to complete transfer negotiations.

A fee of US $20.6 million (£10.9 million) is said to have been agreed between both sides.

Martins, who admitted that he has been keen on a move to England, said Newcastle's determination to sign him had played a key role in opting for a move to the club.

"Playing in the Premiership has been a long-term ambition and I am extremely delighted with the prospect of concluding that in the next couple of days."

Don't know if it's what he's referring to, but Martins' agent is being quoted as saying that Martins is in the UK but is not at Newcastle and is going to be talking to a number of clubs.

Mind, the quote is from tribalfootball.

181812[/snapback]

It's a close call, but I'm going to trust the Beeb.