Martins set for Newcastle move

Scottish Mag

Roeder, Freddy Shepherd and chief operating officer Russell Cushing were all at St James' Park at 9am yesterday and did not leave until tea-time.

181900[/snapback]

God forbid the lazy bastards should actually work a full day, we owe them everything.

182032[/snapback]

It was a sunday! That's OVERTIME.

182034[/snapback]

Double time at least !

182035[/snapback]

Time and a half and a day in lieu.

Edited by alex

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Patrokles

To be fair, I'd hazard a guess that a good number of posters spend their time on here when they SHOULD BE WORKING, so I'm not sure ewerk can be too savage about the club's management.

To be fair, I'd hazard a guess that a good number of posters spend their time on here when they SHOULD BE WORKING, so I'm not sure ewerk can be too savage about the club's management.

182088[/snapback]

And how many posters on here do you reckon are getting paid millions for the privilege?

182088[/snapback]

How very dare you!

Guest Patrokles

182088[/snapback]

And how many posters on here do you reckon are getting paid millions for the privilege?

182092[/snapback]

Moot point because Roeder and Shepherd actually ARE working.

182088[/snapback]

182092[/snapback]

182097[/snapback]

It like being in school and being told you have to have a piece of coursework in in two months time then rushing it at the last minute. Its nothing to be applauded for.

182088[/snapback]

182092[/snapback]

RobW

182088[/snapback]

182092[/snapback]

182097[/snapback]

To be even more fair, Oliver suggesting it's a big deal out of them working from 9 am until tea-time on a Sunday is quite funny.

Martins poised for Newcastle move

By Oluwashina Okeleji

BBC Sport, Lagos

Martins has been unsettled at Inter

Inter Milan striker Obafemi Martins says he is about to secure a move to Premiership side Newcastle United.

"I'm close to moving to Newcastle despite all the initial setbacks," the 21-year-old Nigeria international told BBC Sport on Monday.

"Eighty percent of the deal with Newcastle is completed."

Martins has been unsettled since the club brought in Sweden's Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Argentine Hernan Crespo to strengthen their forward line.

Martins' agent Patrick Bastianelli met United officials over the weekend to complete transfer negotiations.

A fee of £10.9m (US$20.6m) is said to have been agreed between both sides.

Martins said Newcastle's determination to sign him had played a major part in his decision to join the Magpies.

"Playing in the Premiership has been a long-term ambition and I am extremely delighted with the prospect of concluding that in the next couple of days," he added.

Newcastle refused to comment on Martins' claims while Inter said there was "no news" on any developments but that the Premiership side had made an inquiry about the player.

Anyone else find the bbc are always miles behind everyone else?

182218[/snapback]

The beeb require two independent sources before they'll run a story. Or something like that. It's why you never usually get the sort of shit on there that you'll get on the Skysports website.

182218[/snapback]

The beeb require two independent sources before they'll run a story. Or something like that. It's why you never usually get the sort of shit on there that you'll get on the Skysports website.

182227[/snapback]

Exactly. That's why they weren't claiming the world was on the verge of ending on 9/11 whereas Sky News had you running for your bunker.

182218[/snapback]

182227[/snapback]

Exactly. That's why they weren't claiming the world was on the verge of ending on 9/11 whereas Sky News had you running for your bunker.

182231[/snapback]

Not the best example I can think of :blush:

Guest Patrokles
I wouldnt count our chickens just yet on signing Martins, all the latest reports are more negative than yesterday, if they had agreed a fee it wouldnt take this long.

182355[/snapback]

I didn't believe we were ever signing him anyway because you told us all we weren't signing any strikers a week or two back.

I wouldnt count our chickens just yet on signing Martins, all the latest reports are more negative than yesterday, if they had agreed a fee it wouldnt take this long.

182355[/snapback]

Two things which stand out to me - firstly, it's all a little bit too public, a la Mido.

Secondly, if a takeover is in place, no transfer activity will be happening.

I read quotes from Roeder in some obscure Devonshire paper the other day in which he said if need be, he'll carry on with just one striker until January when then right man becomes available.

Had this leveled at me on another forum today:

Unlucky. Not only is he crap, he's a whiny little arsewhipe.

Saw him when Inter played Watford thought he may have changed his ways, still a tool.

Is he that much of a twat? Although this poster thought it would be wise to include Chimbonda in his fantasy team, so perhaps isn't exactly a font of footballing knowledge.

Guest Patrokles

182355[/snapback]

Two things which stand out to me - firstly, it's all a little bit too public, a la Mido.

I read quotes from Roeder in some obscure Devonshire paper the other day in which he said if need be, he'll carry on with just one striker until January when then right man becomes available.

182362[/snapback]

Mido was more 'Newcastle want me totally yep they want me' whilst the club was very silent on the matter, whereas this is more both sides stating interest/desire.

182355[/snapback]

182362[/snapback]

Mido was more 'Newcastle want me totally yep they want me' whilst the club was very silent on the matter, whereas this is more both sides stating interest/desire.

182370[/snapback]

True. Speaking of Mido, sounds like Spurs want to sign him.

182355[/snapback]

182362[/snapback]

182370[/snapback]

True. Speaking of Mido, sounds like Spurs want to sign him.

182373[/snapback]

A takeover would take months and months, of course transfers would remain unaffected.

I'm 100% certain we'll have the big fella, and others in by the weekend.

I'm pretty darn excited actually.

A thrilled Obafemi Martins admitted last night he will realise a boyhood dream when he finally completes a £10m move to St James's Park.

The Inter Milan striker is set to become Glenn Roeder's second summer signing and, having insisted that 80% of the deal to bring him to the North-East has already been agreed, Martins is keen to sign in time to feature in Newcastle's Premiership fixture at Villa Park this weekend.

With the Nigerian's capture fast nearing completion, the United boss has turned his attention to other leading targets and has enquired about the availability of Miroslav Klose.

He met a negative response, with Werder Bremen officials adamant the German World Cup star is not for sale. But Roeder will not be put off as he strives to add as much quality to his first-team squad as possible before next week's transfer deadline.

The acquisition of Martins has not been straightforward but, after his agent travelled to the North-East on Sunday to meet a United delegation, all issues appear to have been resolved.

"I'm close to moving to Newcastle despite all the initial setbacks and 80% of the deal is completed," said the 21-year-old (pictured right). "Playing in the Premiership has been a long-term ambition and I'm extremely delighted with the prospect of concluding that in the next couple of days."

Inter boss Roberto Mancini had hoped to retain the striker's services but, having signed Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Hernan Crespo this summer, he has been forced to concede that he will be unable to keep the ambitious African satisfied.

Martins is understood to have been impressed with United's resolve to sign him and can look forward to a future of first-team football in a black-and-white shirt.

The San Siro favourite has been identified as the perfect partner for Shola Ameobi, although given the 24-year-old's fragile fitness, the search for strikers will continue.

Roeder has made no secret of his admiration for Klose and sent assistant manager Kevin Bond to watch the German in international action against Sweden in last week's round of friendlies. Klose scored twice and impressed Bond and, although Bremen are determined to retain the striker, he will be watched by an increasing number of scouts as the Bundesliga season develops.

The 28-year-old has scored twice in his two appearances for Bremen this season and has emerged as a target for Bayern Munich.

But Klose is keen to play outside his homeland and Newcastle will have been encouraged to hear him talk of leaving his current club last night.

"It is my dream move to play abroad," he said. "Let's see what happens. I am happy in Bremen but I assume that Werder will not put obstacles in my path if a top offer comes along."

The situation will continue to be monitored as Roeder attempts to increase his striking options.

The United boss remains keen to strengthen in other areas and hopes to strike a deal with Real Madrid for Thomas Gravesen before August 31.

Roeder will hope to add to his transfer kitty by selling Jean-Alain Boumsong to Juventus.

The French international spent yesterday locked in talks in Turin and a deal is understood to be nearing completion.

United's efforts have not been aided by a punishing start to the Premiership season.

Ameobi, Craig Moore, Emre, Celestine Babayaro, Stephen Carr and Shay Given all suffered injuries during Saturday's defeat of Wigan.

And Roeder will do a head count this morning as he finalises his plans for Thursday's Uefa Cup tie against FK Ventspils at St James's Park.

Given, Carr, Damien Duff and Alan O'Brien, meanwhile, have been named in the Republic of Ireland squad for the European Championship qualifier against Germany. It is a game that will put the United contingent in direct competition with Klose.