Martins set for Newcastle move

Scottish Mag

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else make anything of the article in the Journal that we're trying to get Klose even after "securing" Martins?  I'm taking it with a pinch of salt but that's still another 5-10m striker (in the club's valuation).

182596[/snapback]

It's almost a re-run of last year where we thought Luque was the end of the spending, but up popped Owen & Solano.

It's almost a re-run of last year where we thought Luque was the end of the spending, but up popped Owen & Solano.

182599[/snapback]

I think 15m on strikers, 5m on Duff and another 5m on Gravesen and Bridge (as seems to be the plan) would leave us all pleasantly surprised.

Can't see us going for Klose as well. Would go against what Roeder said of trying to buy a player to play alongside Ameobi (providing his current injury isn't too serious) and anyway, think Klose and Martins would be a bit too similar. Both quick (see above chant re: Martins), goal poachers.

Can't see us going for Klose as well. Would go against what Roeder said of trying to buy a player to play alongside Ameobi (providing his current injury isn't too serious) and anyway, think Klose and Martins would be a bit too similar. Both quick (see above chant re: Martins), goal poachers.

182608[/snapback]

Never seen a burst of pace from Klose actually. I thought he was more of the target man variety.

182608[/snapback]

Shola has a persistent hip injury though. Can see us selling Luque and buying someone like Klose (although not Klose, according to Isegrim)

He's small, he's black,

He'll eat your fucking cat!

:blush:

182611[/snapback]

Still not grasped this rhyming thing :blush:

182614[/snapback]

It's all in the delivery. :blush:

182615[/snapback]

:blush: It still doesn't rhyme though.

182608[/snapback]

Would have said Klose was more in the Shearer mould, playing well along side Podolski in the World Cup, who is more a Martins type of player. I actually thought they'd be amongst the best partnerships in the Premiership.

Roeder may be bigging up Ameobi for his confidence, but I agree he's more likely to spend a few million on a young Championship player to push the first choice pairing.

Sweet irony in us getting trumped by higher wages for once....

182622[/snapback]

You'd take some sort of sick pleasure in it no doubt.

i reckon he'll have a field day against premiership defences tbh. his record isn't bad for 3 seasons in italy considering he's been used as a sub for a lot of his time at inter.

and he's got the one thing top strikers need in england - pace.

looks like we might have been shafted on the price again but if he does well it could turn out to be a steal.

Skysports.com understand that Portsmouth have made a renewed bid to snatch Obafemi Martins from under the noses of Newcastle.

We revealed on Sunday that a €16 million (£10.9 million) deal had been struck between Newcastle and Internazionale for the Nigerian striker.

However, it can now be revealed that Pompey have not given up hope of landing Martins and have now made a fresh bid - with an increased offer of personal terms.

It is now believed that Martins is seriously considering making the move to Fratton Park rather than St James's Park.

Newcastle held lengthy discussions over the weekend with Martins's representatives and progress was made. But nothing was signed and that has given Portsmouth the opportunity they needed to make their move.

While Newcastle can offer Martins big wages, they cannot live with the new found financial power of Pompey - who are now bankrolled by Alexandre Gaydamak.

Good luck to him if he goes to Portsmouth tbh. Would be canny gutted if they pipped us to him, but up to him I suppose. I doubt Shepherd's ego could take being beaten to a signing by Portsmouth though, so I think we'll be flexible on wages.

Skysports.com is a shambles btw, so if that's the only place reporting it, it could well be cobblers.