Martins set for Newcastle move

Scottish Mag

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reminds me of when we were at school and this big black lad started. We were about 14 or 15 at the time, but he still had to go and see the school nurse for his regulation medical. Anyway, we were all ripping the piss telling him he'd have to drop his strides and that. Off he goes, comes back and we're all wanting to know what she said so he goes "I dropped me strides, her jaw dropped and she just said *adopts Jamaican accent* Get a LOAD of those coconuts". :blush:

Reminds me of when we were at school and this big black lad started.  We were about 14 or 15 at the time, but he still had to go and see the school nurse for his regulation medical.  Anyway, we were all ripping the piss telling him he'd have to drop his strides and that.  Off he goes, comes back and we're all wanting to know what she said so he goes "I dropped me strides, her jaw dropped and she just said *adopts Jamaican accent* Get a LOAD of those coconuts". :blush:

182876[/snapback]

And did he deliver said load? half a story ffs :blush:

I just reat it at NUFC.co.uk and i'm double-minded...

I mean,who the hell is this guy?

Maybe I'm not very well informed about italian football but i've never heard of him... :blush:

Anyway...

on 2th next month there is a nice friendly in Germany!

Germany - Ireland

Howay Damien & co :blush:

Edited by Tyne_Bridge

Maybe I'm not very well informed about italian football but i've never heard of him... :blush:

Anyway...

on 9th next month there is a nice friendly in Germany!

Germany - Ireland

Howay Damien & co  :blush:

182889[/snapback]

He's well known in world football tbh.

are we signing martins?

182887[/snapback]

To be fair to the lad; I've never heard of him.

182890[/snapback]

ive heard of alvin martin who was a proper player, and dean martin who was a proper drinker, or even the housemartins who were a proper band but not this one. dont believe in plural surnames tbh, photoshopped

Edited by zico martin

Anyway...

on 9th next month there is a nice friendly in Germany!

Germany - Ireland

Howay Damien & co  :blush:

182889[/snapback]

He's well known in world football tbh.

182893[/snapback]

omg really? :blush:

I just heard about Inter they signed Viera from Arsenal I think...

Is this lad (what's his name?) Martins a good player?

He's a striker, isn't he?

Well,we need one...

But does he want to sign for Newcastle?

Toon's £10m offer accepted Aug 22 2006

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

Inter Milan have accepted a £10m bid from Newcastle United for Obafemi Martins - and now the race is on to get the Nigerian striker into a black-and-white shirt for Sunday's game at Villa Park.

Martins' agent Patrick Bastianelli has been at St James' Park and is now back in Italy talking to his client over his proposed move to St James' Park.

Comments attributed to Martins from Milan yesterday that the deal was 80% done seemed to be a surprise to United, but Freddy Shepherd and Glenn Roeder will be disappointed the transfer does not go through now.

All Shepherd was prepared to say today was: "We have agreed a £10m fee with Inter Milan for Martins and now it is up to the player and his agent."

Certainly, after the work he has put in over the weekend on the Martins and Boumsong deals, and the proud way he showed me around the new five-star United dressing room at St James' Park yesterday afternoon, Shepherd did not give the impression that he was willing to sell his 28% shares to the Jersey-based Belgravia Group.

Unless Shepherd does sell, there is no point in the Belgravia Group pursuing their interest in United. I believe, like all the other supposed take-over bids in recent seasons, this one will just fade away.

What will not fade away is United's desire to bring in three or four new players before the transfer deadline and they are now hoping that Martins will be the first.

They are obviously happy to go ahead with the deal despite doubts about Martins' age, caused by an administration error by the Nigerian Football Association.

And in an ideal world Martins and Patrick Bastianelli will be on a plane from Milan to Tyneside today or tomorrow so that the financial aspects can be completed and the player can have a medical.

This would enable him to watch United play FK Ventspils in their UEFA Cup tie at St James' Park on Thursday night.

But more importantly Martins could go straight into the squad for Sunday's trip to Villa Park, especially with Shola Ameobi struggling with hip and hamstring problems.

Villa had 11 men behind the ball in what nevertheless was an excellent 1-1 draw against Arsenal in the first league game at the new Emirates Stadium on Saturday but they will have to come out more at home, leaving them vulnerable against players with pace.

And Martins, who can eat up 100 metres in less than 11 seconds, certainly has the pace which Roeder has been looking for all summer.

If he comes, Martins will be the third player United have signed from Inter Milan after Alessandro Pistone and Emre, and while he missed the Champions League game at St James' Park on the infamous night when Craig Bellamy was sent off after only a couple of minutes, he came on as a sub in the 2-2 draw in the return at the San Siro.

If he does decide to join United, the first player to welcome him will be fellow Nigerian Celestine Babayaro, who has told Roeder what a good signing Martins would be.

Certainly, after the work he has put in over the weekend on the Martins and Boumsong deals, and the proud way he showed me around the new five-star United dressing room at St James' Park yesterday afternoon, Shepherd did not give the impression that he was willing to sell his 28% shares to the Jersey-based Belgravia Group.

Unless Shepherd does sell, there is no point in the Belgravia Group pursuing their interest in United. I believe, like all the other supposed take-over bids in recent seasons, this one will just fade away.

Oliver BLATANTLY has everything skinchied tbh

Martins ready for move

NEWCASTLE UNITED have edged closer to ending their long search for a striker with Inter Milan's Obafemi Martins confirming he is on the verge of a move to St James' Park.

And Northern Echo SPORT understands that Newcastle manager Glenn Roeder is considering Southend United's Freddy Eastwood as a cheaper option to compete with Martins and Shola Ameobi for a place.

The Magpies have received reassurances about the Nigerian's age and, after holding talks with Inter Milan over the transfer fee, a price of around £10m has been agreed between the two clubs.

continued...

Now Martins, thought to be 21 despite suggestions on the Nigerian Football Federation website that he is 28, is due to start negotiations and undergo a medical this week.

And the quick striker claims he will be fulfilling a childhood dream when he moves to Tyneside to play in the top tier of English football.

"I'm close to moving to Newcastle despite all the initial setbacks. Eighty per cent of the deal is completed," said Martins.

"Playing in the Premiership has been a long term ambition and I am extremely delighted with the prospect of concluding that in the next couple of days."

Martins has become one of Inter's best players in recent seasons but the arrivals of Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Hernan Crespo this summer pushed him down the pecking order.

On completing the switch to Newcastle, Roeder will have beaten off competition from Portsmouth and Valencia.

Roeder - likely to also seal a deal for midfielder Thomas Gravesen - will still actively seek another forward before the closure of the transfer window on August 31 but it would have to be done on the cheap and Eastwood fits the bill.

That would mean the possibility of Newcastle capturing German World Cup star Miroslav Klose has disappeared.

"Werder Bremen are in the Champions League again this season and they have made it clear Klose is not for sale," said Roeder.

The admission has arrived at a huge blow to the player himself who still harbours hopes of moving to England, Spain or Italy.

"It is my dream move to play abroad," Klose said. "Let's see what happens. I am happy in Bremen but I assume Werder will not put obstacles in my path if a top offer comes along."

Newcastle should have a extra cash into their bank accounts in the next couple of days after agreeing to sell Jean-Alain Boumsong.

Boumsong is expected to complete an initial £2.5m move - some £5.5m less than what Graeme Souness paid Rangers for him 18 months ago - to Juventus in the next 24 hours.

The Frenchman was in Turin yesterday for a medical and, if all goes well, the transfer should be confirmed later today.

Meanwhile, Shay Given, Damien Duff Stephen Carr and Alan O'Brien have all been named in the republic of Ireland squad for the Euro 2008 qualifier with Germany on September 2.

And Martins, who can eat up 100 metres in less than 11 seconds, certainly has the pace which Roeder has been looking for all summer.

:blush:

182905[/snapback]

Thats nothing, Patrick Kluivert could eat up 100 Doughnuts in 11 seconds !