Bikers

Craig

If any of you lot on here own motorbikes, then I hope to hell you've got full leathers and safety kit and if you haven't, I urge you to go out and get them before you get back on a bike.

Was passed by a biker today and a couple of minutes later I went around a corner to find the same bike on its side in the middle of the road with the rider and pillion passenger thrown a good twenty feet from it. Both were wearing helmets but were in jeans and denim jackets - the rider had Cat boots on but the female pillion passenger was wearing white trainers - we had to go an recover one of her feet out of the verge.

We did all we could to stem the flow of blood with tourniques but she sadly died soon after the ambulance arrived. The rider was taken away in a critical condition.

I grew up with my Mam telling me she'd never let me get on a bike and have heard many a horror story. Now I've seen one myself, I'm not sure I'd ever want to get on one :lol:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's instinct I guess. Part of me was wishing I'd gone the other way home but then humanity takes over and you just want to help as much as you can.

Horrible feeling that walk from my car to the scene though. You just know what you're going to be coming face to face with is not going to be good... :lol:

Fucking hell Craig, sorry you had to go through that, but I totally echo your comments on climbing on a bike, especially on the back, a friend of mine lost his wife due to riding pillion on a motorbike.

Decapitated, only 28, only blessing is she probably died instantly.

That sounds fucking horrible  :lol:

181588[/snapback]

Decapitated? on a motorbike?

181589[/snapback]

Was thrown over the rider and hit a lamp-post.

181588[/snapback]

181589[/snapback]

Was thrown over the rider and hit a lamp-post.

181591[/snapback]

Jesus, wish I hadn't asked now...

181588[/snapback]

181589[/snapback]

Well this girl today lost her foot with what the paramedics were saying was probably contact with the ground and her not wearing appropriate footwear.

My sister has a full set of biker leathers with the boots and gloves (and helmet obviously). when shes in them she can barely walk as there so thick and stiff.

i'd imagine that skidding across tarmac at 70mph+ would wear through even the thickest of protection.

My sister has a full set of biker leathers with the boots and gloves (and helmet obviously). when shes in them she can barely walk as there so thick and stiff.

i'd imagine that skidding across tarmac at 70mph+ would wear through even the thickest of protection.

181598[/snapback]

Would probably be in a mess, but alive, but in jeans, t-shirt and trainers you'd probably be a red streak down the middle of the road.

181598[/snapback]

Would probably be in a mess, but alive, but in jeans, t-shirt and trainers you'd probably be a red streak down the middle of the road.

181601[/snapback]

Pretty much what I saw today - put it this way, denim shreads - as does the skin underneath :lol:

181588[/snapback]

181589[/snapback]

My best mate has for years told me that when we were kids and playing football once we heard a car accident and when we went over I found a motor bike helmet a distance from the crash that wasn't empty shall we say.

I have absolutely no recollection of this and his forcefulness in telling it seems honest.

Good friend of mine is paralysed due to a motorbike accident. Thing was, he wasn't actually going that fast, probably about 10 or 20 miles an hour when someone pulled out in front of him and he went flying over his handlebars, he died twice in A&E.

The only time I could see the attraction of a motorbike is bombing down a deserted highway somewhere in middle America. I would never want to be riding a motorbike in this country - for a start the weather is absolutely manky most of the time here, and secondly, the roads are too congested which just makes it too dangerous.

My mam's friend's son died going over the flyover on the city motorway when a freak gust of wind basically blew him over the side of the flyover.

Horrific story, hope it doesn't affect you too badly Craig. Everyone seems to know a friend or relative who has been killed or maimed on a motorbike - I read somewhere that if you ride a bike all your life you have about 25% of being killed on it - pretty suicidal odds for such an avoidable risk. Of course, it tends to get you when you're young and reckless too.

I'd ban them personally, as they're a threat to all users. Driving back from the lakes via Alston is a scarey experience when you have some idiot overtaking you at 80 mph on a blind bend.

Horrific story, hope it doesn't affect you too badly Craig.

181653[/snapback]

Cheers mate - didn't sleep to well last night, kept having the recurring nightmare of going to get the foot from the verge then going back to the riders and noticing that they were my kids....

My hat goes off to traffic police who have to deal with shit like this day in, day out - I know I couldn't do it :lol:

181588[/snapback]

181589[/snapback]

A guy we knew met the same fate....he hit a JCB ;) Didnt stand a chance.

Having been associated with bikes/bikers for many years, i've seen a good few people lose their lives. Hubby and i were bikers in our young days....i honestly think it was complete luck that we didnt have a fatal or serious accident. At least we always wore leathers, you see people on bikes wearing shorts and T shirts the idiots.

Hubby had one serious accident during his bike days (before i knew him) whilst over-taking a bus he hit a car head on, he broke his leg badly and had complications after (blood clots on the lung etc) But he was lucky to be alive.

Horrific story, hope it doesn't affect you too badly Craig. Everyone seems to know a friend or relative who has been killed or maimed on a motorbike - I read somewhere that if you ride a bike all your life you have about 25% of being killed on it - pretty suicidal odds for such an avoidable risk. Of course, it tends to get you when you're young and reckless too.

I'd ban them personally, as they're a threat to all users. Driving back from the lakes via Alston is a scarey experience when you have some idiot overtaking you at 80 mph on a blind bend.

181653[/snapback]

25% nice bullshit statistc. There are some idiots who drive bikes, there a lot fucking more who drive cars lets ban all of them aswell.

181653[/snapback]

25% nice bullshit statistc. There are some idiots who drive bikes, there a lot fucking more who drive cars lets ban all of them aswell.

181791[/snapback]

You think the risk of death, or causing death, in a car is the same as on a bike?

Would the figure of a 25% lifetime risk really surprise you? Considering I have known 3 people independently killed on bikes and none in a car it wouldn't surprise me.

Btw, I should add that wasn't being entirely serious about banning all motorbikes but it'd be nice to ban some of the idiots you see on country roads.

181653[/snapback]

181791[/snapback]

You think the risk of death, or causing death, in a car is the same as on a bike?

Would the figure of a 25% lifetime risk really surprise you? Considering I have known 3 people independently killed on bikes and none in a car it wouldn't surprise me.

Btw, I should add that wasn't being entirely serious about banning all motorbikes but it'd be nice to ban some of the idiots you see on country roads.

181798[/snapback]

I think the risk of causing death in a car is shitload higher than with a bike.

The figure of 25% is plainly ridiculous, you might just know a load of idiots.

181653[/snapback]

181791[/snapback]

181798[/snapback]

I think the risk of causing death in a car is shitload higher than with a bike.

The figure of 25% is plainly ridiculous, you might just know a load of idiots.

181807[/snapback]

The relative risk of being killed on a bike is far, far higher than in a car though - about 20 times higher according to a quick Google I've done. The fact that less people die on bikes is purely down to the fact that much less people drive them.

None of the people I knew were idiots btw but died because cars failed to see them. An easy mistake to make unfortunately and one that is worsened by the fact that many bikers simply drive too fast.