Chelsea sign defender

Skysports

Chelsea have confirmed the capture of Holland international Khalid Boulahrouz from Hamburg.

The 24-year-old defender has put pen-to-paper on a deal at Stamford Bridge after concurring on personal terms and passing a medical at Stamford Bridge.

Boulahrouz arrives in West London for an undisclosed fee and he is expected to vie with Wayne Bridge for a starting berth at left back, as Ashley Cole's long protracted switch to the champions continues to stall.

Chelsea chief Jose Mourinho has spoken in recent weeks of the utmost importance in landing a versatile defensive performer and Boulahrouz fits the bill perfectly as he can play anywhere across the back line.

Boulahrouz proved his credentials last term in the Bundesliga as he played a major role in Hamburg's third placed finish, claiming the best defensive record in the process.

Chelsea assistant manager Steve Clarke believe the former RKC Waalwijk favourite will adapt quickly to life in The Premiership, confident Mourinho has landed a proven performer.

"He is a good, competitive player and will be a good addition to our squad," Clarke told Chelsea TV.

"He can play centre back or either full back. It is important to have one or two players around the squad who can play in a number of different positions."

Bridge's chances of being a Newcastle player enhanced? Well if they sign Cole as well, dead cert...

Edited for truth?

Edited by Fat Boy

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye I reckon we might end up with him.  Didn't see much of the Chelsea game yesterday, but supposedly Bridge had a good game.

181721[/snapback]

Yeah, I think he got an assist...

181724[/snapback]

Yep, got him in my dream team with 9 points from that game.

How shite was Babayaro btw? Even before he was injured :lol:

181753[/snapback]

He's rubbish. He's not even really good enough to have as back up. At one point in the second half he was passed by a Wigan player in the box as if he wasn't even there and he just stood there like a spare prick.

I also like Carr's perfect vertical clearance just before their goal.

Guest Patrokles
We could well see Galles come here or Wayne Bridge. It’s hard to say who, but it looks like it could be a possibility.

181743[/snapback]

I would be extremely surprised if Gallas touched us with a bargepole.

Interesting that Jose doesn't even class Gallas as one of his players anymore. Looks cert that he's going to Arsenal as part of the Cole deal.

As for this new lad - he can play anywhere across the back, but he's primarily a centre back. He's a good version of Aaron Hughes.

There's no way he's 24 btw.  He looks ancient.

181784[/snapback]

Played youth team football with Van Basten :lol:

181788[/snapback]

And Martins...

181794[/snapback]

and Rob W.

Yeah Boularouz (dutch for Ballbags i believe) is a defensive mercenary..can play anywhere. Seems like a like-for-like replacement for Gallas just not as strong in the CB as old willy...

Once cole gets there Bridge will leave for sure imo...

Aye I reckon we might end up with him.  Didn't see much of the Chelsea game yesterday, but supposedly Bridge had a good game.

181721[/snapback]

Apparently Spurs are sniffing around Bridge now, so things aren't as cut and dried as most of us hoped they would be.