Best Talking Heads album?

Guest Patrokles

Guest Patrokles

Live albums are always a bit... though, when you want to talk about a best album. It'd be like including the greatest hits.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Live albums are always a bit... though, when you want to talk about a best album. It'd be like including the greatest hits.

182577[/snapback]

Not what David Byrne would say about that album. Stop Making sense is the definitive live album and is also the definitive live concert video.

Stop Making sense.

182574[/snapback]

What is it with all your posts and the huge gaps at the top of them? Do you have return key tourettes or something?

182579[/snapback]

What you talking about. :blush:

Guest Patrokles

182577[/snapback]

Not what David Byrne would say about that album. Stop Making sense is the definitive live album and is also the definitive live concert video.

182581[/snapback]

Concert video, yes, but I think it was always more intended as an audio-visual experience.

182577[/snapback]

182581[/snapback]

Are you claiming that is the defintive live album or the defintive live album by the Talking Heads. If its the latter fair enough but the former would be a bit of a stretch

Are you claiming that is the defintive live album or the defintive live album  by the Talking Heads. If its the latter fair enough but the former would be a bit of a stretch

182590[/snapback]

Even the latter would be more than a stretch since the recently re-released The Name of this Band is Talking Heads is a far better live document in my opinion.

182577[/snapback]

182581[/snapback]

Are you claiming that is the defintive live album or the defintive live album by the Talking Heads. If its the latter fair enough but the former would be a bit of a stretch

182590[/snapback]

Definitive live concert video.

Its the whole package from the meticulous build up of imagery with every set shot in Demme's film carefully sketched out before hand and his desire to give the sound production a new edge.

You could argue that musically The name of the band is better but that would be like trying to force a rizla paper into my crack hole using tension alone. They are both great.

By the way if anyone has a vinyl copy of More song about buildings would be interested.

I take it the name of Carl Craig's 'More songs about food and revolutionary art' was inspired by Talking Heads? If anyone's heard of Carl Craig that is...

I take it the name of Carl Craig's 'More songs about food and revolutionary art' was inspired by Talking Heads? If anyone's heard of Carl Craig that is...

182651[/snapback]

Alex = impeccable taste.

Paperclip People - Throw. Legendary Carl Craig track.

I think you would be right on the inspiration too.

182651[/snapback]

Alex = impeccable taste.

182669[/snapback]

The Paperclip People collection 'The Secret Tapes of Dr. Eich' on Sound of Ministry was/is quality. Not sure if you can still get it but I was listening to it the other day.

182651[/snapback]

Alex = impeccable taste.

182669[/snapback]

So my Undertones reference is ignored and Alex gets all the plaudits. gah :blush:

182651[/snapback]

Alex = impeccable taste.

182669[/snapback]

The Paperclip People collection 'The Secret Tapes of Dr. Eich' on Sound of Ministry was/is quality. Not sure if you can still get it but I was listening to it the other day.

182673[/snapback]

'Throw' is b/w a track called 'Eich me san schie' funnily enough.

He did some great stuff with Bugz in the Attic in 97/98 and i have a vinyl only remix album from 2 years ago with 8 tracks that cost me a fucking fortune.

182651[/snapback]

Alex = impeccable taste.

182669[/snapback]

So my Undertones reference is ignored and Alex gets all the plaudits. gah :blush:

182676[/snapback]

Sorry i missed that Bob. I'm a bit :blush: generally speaking.

Throw's on that compilation ('The Secret Tapes of Dr. Eich') btw. More Songs... is a class compilation too. The former being more 'dancefloor'. 'Televised Green Smoke' and 'Suspiria' on the latter are class tunes. Soz about hijacking the thread :blush:

Suspiria's an interesting film, too.

182685[/snapback]

It also features but by a different name on Colin Dale's Outer Limits, mebbies the best techno studio mix in world ever.

182685[/snapback]

It also features but by a different name on Colin Dale's Outer Limits, mebbies the best techno studio mix in world ever.

182692[/snapback]

Just looked it up.....

Boo Williams - always class and Cybotron's Clear - Detroit classic.

I couldnt possibly complain about this thread btw.

Guest Patrokles

182685[/snapback]

182692[/snapback]

Just looked it up.....

182712[/snapback]

Well, it was dedicated to you from the start. :blush:

182685[/snapback]

182692[/snapback]

Just looked it up.....

182712[/snapback]

Outer Limits 1 is dead hard to get but Vol. 2 is a bit easier to get hold of although not quite as good - still class but lacking the eclecticism of the first one. I used to own both then I lost my copy of Vol. 1 somewhere. I got in touch with Kickin' Records though and they sent me a copy for about a fiver. They also sent me a class Colin Faver mix CD too. Both Outer Limits are well worth seeking out I reckon.

182685[/snapback]

182692[/snapback]

Just looked it up.....

182712[/snapback]

Well, it was dedicated to you from the start. :blush:

182727[/snapback]

awww...

:blush:

to yank this back on track...

I've got the original 12" single of psycho killer, bought it in the market in durham in 1985, it is so rare that it's buy now for £5.99 (£1.75p&p) on ebay.  Would consider swap for rabbit hutch ono

182902[/snapback]

Couldnt stretch to a rabbit hutch but would happily part with the small kennel my dead dog used to live in.

to yank this back on track...

I've got the original 12" single of psycho killer, bought it in the market in durham in 1985, it is so rare that it's buy now for £5.99 (£1.75p&p) on ebay.  Would consider swap for rabbit hutch ono

182902[/snapback]

Couldnt stretch to a rabbit hutch but would happily part with the small kennel my dead dog used to live in.

182930[/snapback]

awww...sorry my rabbit's psychic and no killer, he'd never forgive me. Where IS my coat?

182577[/snapback]

182581[/snapback]

182590[/snapback]

Definitive live concert video.

Its the whole package from the meticulous build up of imagery with every set shot in Demme's film carefully sketched out before hand and his desire to give the sound production a new edge.

You could argue that musically The name of the band is better but that would be like trying to force a rizla paper into my crack hole using tension alone. They are both great.

By the way if anyone has a vinyl copy of More song about buildings would be interested.

182638[/snapback]

The thing about Stop Making Sense is it is a drama as much as live concert.

Demme shot it as he would one of his features, starting slowly and building to a climax in the plot - finishing with a resolutuion.

It's not like a standard live program. If you just look at the direction of cinematography, the cameras move, changing shot constantly, where as if you look at a general live concert production or even a live tv music production the cameras are generally static and the movement is in the changing of cameras and thus angle. Then you have the building of the band, the plot and its' cronological progression of music and characters!

As for which is better Django Reinhardt is correct The Name of the band is a far better account of talking heads live but it also misses out on the whole Speaking in tongues transition of the band. Stop making Sense is a film relying on its' mise-en-scene and plot progression which is lost in the music only release vinyl/cd/tape, if you have seen the film then you can get the album otherwise it is just another live release.

As for the original question, the answer could be any of their albums prior to Little creatures which was the beginning of the end for the band, although the often overlooked Naked was a bit of a return to form.

People talk about the effect Brian Eno had on U2 but his work with Talking Heads was what marked his career as a producer and Byrne often referred to him as the 5th band member between More songs... and Remaining in the Light to the chagrin of the other four members.

It's interesting because if you look at the period after Remining in the light when the band all but broke up, all four members produced amazing but completely different solo projects, Byrne with Eno My life in the bush of ghosts, Byrne by himself The soundtrack to the Catherine Wheel and later the tuba solo inspired Songs for the Knee plays, even his vocals/lyrics for Robert Fripps God Save the Queen/Under Heavy Manners all showed the diversity of Byrne. But it was the work of Weymouth and Fantz with the Tom Tom clubs' first two albums, Tom tom club and Close to the bone that changed the sound of talking heads for their next release Speaking in tongues with the now established sound influenced by Weymouth and Frantz's propensity for hip hop/dance rhythms.

Chezgiven, I've got a mint original pressing of More songs... but sorry it stays in the collection next to the artist Robert Rauschenberg created plastic envelope package with clear discs that could spin around for Speaking in tongues and a host of picture discs and limited addition 12' remixes they released.