My Neighbour Again

LeazesMag

he was having problems with booting up, he was booting a file called unwise.exe which kept putting a box called "install" on his screen, and thought he had spyware, he wasn;'t running a spyware programme.

I put spybot on his pc, and he had a canny few things picked up, one of them was something in his applog folder .... so I let spybot run its course, and now he can't get into IE as the iexploere.exe file is missing ..........

He can get onto the internet through spybot, but thats all.

Tomorrow I/we will put internet explorer/tiscali back on the pc, if that fails windows 98 [its an old pc] if that fails the restore disk he used the last time.

Does anyone have any alternative suggestions pse ...short of throwing it in the bin...he's a pensioner ....

Also if the IE file is corrupted you can still access the Internet via Windows Explorer (My Computer), just type the URL into the filename box.

182400[/snapback]

I didn't know that, I tried to access it but not in that way.

Basically yesterday, he stopped me and said that his CD player had "exploded". It just went bang ........ from that point some of this icons etc on his desktop weren't booting up properly. He also thought that - as he had a CD player and a CD writer he would need to replace the CD player to do the reading of a disk, until I explained that his CD writer would do both jobs like a VCR, memorise data then prompt him to put a blank disk in when he made copies etc, so at least he's happy with that.

It just went from there, he told me about a "box" he was getting when he booted up, so I unticked unwise.exe from his msconfig and it cured that, I then suggested installing spybot to try and prevent such stuff in future. At that point his IE was OK because I logged on and downloaded it.

I am sure the cause of his problems is because he has put all sorts of photography stuff on his PC, some he doesn't even know what they are, and we cleared out loads of it the last time, and I don't understand what they are either because I don't have a digi camera or do photography.

Sodding computers.

Edited by LeazesMag

not entirely sure i'm with u but if the internet explorer file is missing simply reinstall windows

182390[/snapback]

There are easier and quicker ways of restoring Internet Explorer than "simply" reinstalling Windows :blush:

182466[/snapback]

I am thinking of just installing his tiscali disk but in view of the other probs ie it blowing up, I'm not sure what to do.

If he left it with me for a few days I'd trash everything on it and put on what he needs and nowt else

:blush:

not entirely sure i'm with u but if the internet explorer file is missing simply reinstall windows

182390[/snapback]

There are easier and quicker ways of restoring Internet Explorer than "simply" reinstalling Windows ;)

182466[/snapback]

I am thinking of just installing his tiscali disk but in view of the other probs ie it blowing up, I'm not sure what to do.

If he left it with me for a few days I'd trash everything on it and put on what he needs and nowt else

:blush:

182480[/snapback]

bump.....his machine seems to be fine now.

He re-installed his windows 98 on his own .... then I went round, re-installed internet explorer [after uninstalling it first], re-stored his tiscali connections, set his cookies to manual accept/reject [which is what I do], got rid of some of his shite cookies [and permanently blocking those which I know is spyware that I have had myself] and it boots up smooth as owt, although I have just unticked his unwise.exe in msconfig, as it says on various sites to leave it alone.

So long as it works like this, he is happy.

Thanks to everyone.

Gol...what is the difference between spybot and adaware ? And what is EWIDO. He is using his sons Norton, which I would like to take off and put zonealarm and Anti-Vir on, as that again is what I use ?

182390[/snapback]

There are easier and quicker ways of restoring Internet Explorer than "simply" reinstalling Windows :blink:

182466[/snapback]

:lol:

182480[/snapback]

bump.....his machine seems to be fine now.

He re-installed his windows 98 on his own .... then I went round, re-installed internet explorer [after uninstalling it first], re-stored his tiscali connections, set his cookies to manual accept/reject [which is what I do], got rid of some of his shite cookies [and permanently blocking those which I know is spyware that I have had myself] and it boots up smooth as owt, although I have just unticked his unwise.exe in msconfig, as it says on various sites to leave it alone.

So long as it works like this, he is happy.

Thanks to everyone.

Gol...what is the difference between spybot and adaware ? And what is EWIDO. He is using his sons Norton, which I would like to take off and put zonealarm and Anti-Vir on, as that again is what I use ?

184010[/snapback]

Personally, Im in the Ad-Aware camp. Always liked it, easy to use and seems very comprehensive, SpyBot though is supposed to be canny as well. Not sure, but I believe SpyBot isnt free whereas the Personal version of Ad-Aware is free, no pushy sales, pop ups or anything.

EWIDO appears to just be a version of spyware and Anti Virus, its got a 30 day trial so could be worth a go, however the problem you may find now is compatibility with Win98. I cant imagine that many developers are arsing themsleves to support it these days (Version 4.0 of EWIDO doesnt support it).

thanks for the info. I would consider using adaware for myself and wanted to know what EIWO was. Spybot is free, PP, I've used it for a while.

I also update anti vir on the web, which is also free, I binned AVG in favour of it because version 7 clashed with mailwasher.

So far as my neighbour is concerned, I would prefer him to use programmes I know, rather than Norton, so I'll work on maybe pushing a change the next time it fcks up on him.

Leazes was gutted when they cancelled 'Love Thy Neighbour'.

185224[/snapback]

Prefer Till Death Us Do Part. Brilliant.

185226[/snapback]

<_<

Aye, quality show. 'Love Thy Neighbour' was awful though.

Get a mac.  I ran a spyware search on mine for the first time a year after buying it, and it found zilcho. ;)

185259[/snapback]

Why would anyone want to hack a mac?

yep thats what I was thinking too <_<