Another Drug Fiend caught..........

Rob W

Amazed I missed this one.... must be all the creekit :blush::blush::blush:

Jones 'shocked' by positive test

Former triple Olympic champion Marion Jones has made her first official comment since testing positive for performance-enhancing drugs.

"I was shocked when I was informed about the positive 'A' sample," the American, 30, said in a statement.

Reports suggest that erythropoietin or EPO, a blood-boosting drug, was found in a sample given by Jones in June.

Jones is waiting to learn if her second sample is also positive and wants the process completed as soon as possible.

She faces a two-year ban if the second test comes back positive.

Another one that's a bit of a shame after Gatlin.  It seems pretty much anyone that's any good is up to no good.

182508[/snapback]

When she was 'on form' she was miles better than her rivals so (with hindsight) she was a bit suss. And she's been looking like her old self of late. Still some way short of Flo-Jo though, who prematurely died of 'natural causes'. The sport is in disarray at the moment but it's nothing new. The testing is more sophisticated than ever though.

Another one that's a bit of a shame after Gatlin.  It seems pretty much anyone that's any good is up to no good.

182508[/snapback]

When she was 'on form' she was miles better than her rivals so (with hindsight) she was a bit suss. And she's been looking like her old self of late. Still some way short of Flo-Jo though, who prematurely died of 'natural causes'. The sport is in disarray at the moment but it's nothing new. The testing is more sophisticated than ever though.

182518[/snapback]

Aye I remember Steve Cram's commentary on one of her Olympic medals as she was whopping everyone: "This is the Olympic games, you're not supposed to win by this much!" :blush: . You wonder how much of a difference the drugs can make though, and whether she could have still been a medallist without them, given how much better she was than everyone when she was allegedly taking them.

She turned to shit when she was having to lay low after her hubby got caught, didn't she? Now the dust's settled on that she all of a sudden starts improving again. Hmmmmm....

Flo Jo always looked like a dodgy one like, and was pretty much confirmed when she pegged it.

Just look at the records that were set in the 1980's -90's that have never been passed - gives you a good list to start I reckon

182594[/snapback]

I think it's arguable that many are down to truly extraordinary athletes such as Michael Johnson, who I genuinely believe was clean but just a 'freak', if you like. More questionable are records still held by East European female atheletes still standing from the 1980's (Marita Koch, Kratochvílova etc.).

One or two maybe - Beamon's long jump record for example

But you're correct - anything out of E Europe is really dodgy

182843[/snapback]

I want specifics then Bob, which records do you mean specifically you slippery fucker :blush:

:blush:

No but it did for a longgggggggggggggggggggg time

but he got everything absolutley right in that one jump - I watched it on TV (B&Wh of course)

182843[/snapback]

I want specifics then Bob, which records do you mean specifically you slippery fucker :blush:

182852[/snapback]

WHAT? and have M'Learned Friends knocking on the door?

No but it did for a longgggggggggggggggggggg  time

but he got everything absolutley right in that one jump - I watched it on TV (B&Wh of course)

182882[/snapback]

He nearly jumped out the pit. I'd love to have seen the look on Lynn Davies face.

182843[/snapback]

182852[/snapback]

WHAT? and have M'Learned Friends knocking on the door?

182883[/snapback]

Expected that response tbh.

182882[/snapback]

All of which discussion took me to YouTube, where there's a great montage of the Lewis/Powell battle from the 1991 Worlds. I'd forgotten just how huge Lewis's series of jumps was that day, wind-assisted or otherwise, and Powell's joy at beating the cocky fucker (and Beamon in the process) is still fantastic to watch :blush:

182882[/snapback]

He nearly jumped out the pit. I'd love to have seen the look on Lynn Davies face.

182884[/snapback]

It was one of the first intercontinental TV links - it was 02:00 in the morning and all these big rugby playing Welsh Engineers at Uni grabbed the front seats and sat there with crates of booze waiting for THEIR gold medal

First jump Beamon takes off and flies almost out of the pit - when the distance was annouced these fat bastards got up and marched out in total silence AND they took their booze withthem................

Laugh? :blush::blush::blush::blush::panic: