Souness in for Andres D'Alessandro?

Scottish Mag

Newcastle United are the latest club to be linked with an interest in Wolfsburg's Argentine international Andres D'Alessandro.

As Newcastle boss Graeme Souness steps up his search for fresh talent, it has been reported that scouts from St James Park took a look at the gifted playmaker last week.

A party from the Premiership outfit travelled to Borussia Monchengladbach, where they looked at D'Alessandro as Wolves earned a 1-1 draw on their travels.

The 24-year-old midfielder is reportedly keen for a new challenge and this news has alerted Souness to his possible availability.

Earlier this summer the former River Plate schemer threatened not to return to Wolfsburg and new coach Holger Fach needed to fly to Buenos Aires in order to bring him back to Germany.

Spanish outfit Deportivo La Coruna were the first club to register their interest, but failed to agree a deal, as Wolves are unwilling to let their €9.5 million recruit leave for a sum below what they paid.

Tottenham have previously been mentioned as suitors, but have reportedly balked at an asking price believed to be in the region of €15 million.

Speculation in the German press has suggested that Newcastle's unsettled Portuguese midfielder Hugo Viana could be used as a potential make-weight in the deal.

Whilst Newcastle are keen to improve all areas of their squad after a summer that has seen several exits, it seems likely that a move for a striker - not a midfielder - will be top of Souness' agenda for the moment

Apparently Newcastle were watching the game M'Gladbach against Wolfsburg last weekend. There were a couple of scouts (including Tony Adams) in the stand watching Marcell Janssen, Gladbach's left sided defender/midfielder. It would make more sense to me, if Newcastle were watching him too (instead of a leightweight central attacking midfielder).

Apparently Newcastle were watching the game M'Gladbach against Wolfsburg last weekend. There were a couple of scouts (including Tony Adams) in the stand watching Marcell Janssen, Gladbach's left sided defender/midfielder. It would make more sense to me, if Newcastle were watching him too (instead of a leightweight central attacking midfielder).

14598[/snapback]

So this Janssen lad will have played alongside Craig Moore then, albeit briefly?

14598[/snapback]

So this Janssen lad will have played alongside Craig Moore then, albeit briefly?

14618[/snapback]

Yep, people in Gladbach don't have any good word for Dick Advocaat (especially for signing Craig Moore) but they thank him for making Janssen a first team regular. He really shone at every level he has been playing in the last 10 months. He'll probably get called up to the senior international team, at least that is what everybody is saying should happen.

Apparently an English club tabled a 5m Euro bid. The rumour is that it was Arsenal (due to Adams watching him), but with them having Cole and Pires I think it might have been another club...

I would love some fresh talent... but as it stands a strikeforce is our main priority and I am sure there are other strikers than a flop who falls out with managers and easily becomes unsettled wherever he is (I doubt he'd change with Souness). Or a decent Portuguese attakcer, that is if you can call him that, as he's more of a left-winger.

First post, wooo, awesome...