Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Kevin Carr's Gloves

Pompey try to scupper Martins deal

Recommended Posts

Skysports.com understand that Portsmouth have made a renewed bid to snatch Obafemi Martins from under the noses of Newcastle.

 

We revealed on Sunday that a €16 million (£10.9 million) deal had been struck between Newcastle and Internazionale for the Nigerian striker.

 

"I can confirm we have agreed a fee with Inter Milan for Obafemi Martins," chairman Freddy Shepherd told the club's website.

 

"It is now up to the player and the agent to agree terms on offer."

 

However, it can now be revealed that Pompey have not given up hope of landing Martins and have now made a fresh bid - with an increased offer of personal terms.

 

It is now believed that Martins is seriously considering making the move to Fratton Park rather than St James' Park.

 

Newcastle held lengthy discussions over the weekend with Martins's representatives and progress was made. But nothing was signed and that has given Portsmouth the opportunity they needed to make their move.

 

While Newcastle can offer Martins big wages, they cannot live with the new found financial power of Pompey - who are now bankrolled by Alexandre Gaydamak.

 

Manager Harry Redknapp is keen to bolster his squad and Martins would no doubt represent his biggest coup to date, despite the summer arrivals of England internationals Sol Campbell, David James and Glen Johnson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Skysports.com understand that Portsmouth have made a renewed bid to snatch Obafemi Martins from under the noses of Newcastle.

 

We revealed on Sunday that a €16 million (£10.9 million) deal had been struck between Newcastle and Internazionale for the Nigerian striker.

 

"I can confirm we have agreed a fee with Inter Milan for Obafemi Martins," chairman Freddy Shepherd told the club's website.

 

"It is now up to the player and the agent to agree terms on offer."

 

However, it can now be revealed that Pompey have not given up hope of landing Martins and have now made a fresh bid - with an increased offer of personal terms.

 

It is now believed that Martins is seriously considering making the move to Fratton Park rather than St James' Park.

 

Newcastle held lengthy discussions over the weekend with Martins's representatives and progress was made. But nothing was signed and that has given Portsmouth the opportunity they needed to make their move.

 

While Newcastle can offer Martins big wages, they cannot live with the new found financial power of Pompey - who are now bankrolled by Alexandre Gaydamak.

 

Manager Harry Redknapp is keen to bolster his squad and Martins would no doubt represent his biggest coup to date, despite the summer arrivals of England internationals Sol Campbell, David James and Glen Johnson.

182948[/snapback]

 

old news tbh, yesterday man :blush:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Skysports.com understand that Portsmouth have made a renewed bid to snatch Obafemi Martins from under the noses of Newcastle.

 

We revealed on Sunday that a €16 million (£10.9 million) deal had been struck between Newcastle and Internazionale for the Nigerian striker.

 

"I can confirm we have agreed a fee with Inter Milan for Obafemi Martins," chairman Freddy Shepherd told the club's website.

 

"It is now up to the player and the agent to agree terms on offer."

 

However, it can now be revealed that Pompey have not given up hope of landing Martins and have now made a fresh bid - with an increased offer of personal terms.

 

It is now believed that Martins is seriously considering making the move to Fratton Park rather than St James' Park.

 

Newcastle held lengthy discussions over the weekend with Martins's representatives and progress was made. But nothing was signed and that has given Portsmouth the opportunity they needed to make their move.

 

While Newcastle can offer Martins big wages, they cannot live with the new found financial power of Pompey - who are now bankrolled by Alexandre Gaydamak.

 

Manager Harry Redknapp is keen to bolster his squad and Martins would no doubt represent his biggest coup to date, despite the summer arrivals of England internationals Sol Campbell, David James and Glen Johnson.

182948[/snapback]

 

old news tbh, yesterday man :blush:

182953[/snapback]

 

 

great minds etc tbh :blush:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Without wanting to sound like Liverpool fans with Dirk Kuyt... If Martins ends up in Portsmouth then he hasn't the ambition that we want in a Newcastle player.

 

That said I'd be very surprised to see him end up there. If we have already agreed a fee with Inter then its too late for Portsmouth to try and do to us what we did to Liverpool last year with Owen, and I cant see them beating our wages by much either tbh.

 

More competition at portsmouth for strikers currently as well (God I NEVER thought id be saying that :blush: )

 

Looking forward to seeing us landing him in next day or two

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

Recent tweets

Toontastic Facebook

Donate to Toontastic

Keeping the lights on since... well ages ago
TT-Staff


×