HOW is it only 13:53

Gemmill

I like my job but I'm grossly underpaid to the extent I might have to look elsewhere and even join the dark side (drug companies). Trouble is 95% of the jobs I am suited for are based in Landern or the home counties and I really don't want to move there. Don't know what to do tbh.

183525[/snapback]

That's the trouble. Go down there and you might be earning more and be worse off.

183538[/snapback]

Catch 22 really. I reckon I could double my income but my expenditure would more than match that unfortunately. Then there's all the other disadvantages. It begs the question, how seriously should you take your career?

183544[/snapback]

You're asking the worng person ;)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Try and find a job you actually enjoy We have an extremely short life, and you're wasting yours by only living for the weekends.

183400[/snapback]

;)

Work isn't enjoyable! That's why they PAY you to do it.

I like my job but I'm grossly underpaid to the extent I might have to look elsewhere and even join the dark side (drug companies). Trouble is 95% of the jobs I am suited for are based in Landern or the home counties and I really don't want to move there. Don't know what to do tbh.

183525[/snapback]

What do you do currently Renton, if you dont mind me asking?

183525[/snapback]

183580[/snapback]

The clue's in the username.

183525[/snapback]

183580[/snapback]

I write medical guidance, primarily for GPs. Any job that involves appraisal of clinical trial evidence and medical writing is of interest to me, but the opportunities here are scarce.

183525[/snapback]

183580[/snapback]

The clue's in the username.

183607[/snapback]

;)

Will you fuck off! :blush:

183525[/snapback]

183580[/snapback]

I write medical guidance, primarily for GPs. Any job that involves appraisal of clinical trial evidence and medical writing is of interest to me, but the opportunities here are scarce.

183609[/snapback]

You could do medical writing remotely for one of the big agencies as a first suggestion.

Do you have a background in pharmacolgy? Are you a pharmaceutical adviser or does it extend to other stuff too?

Have you heard of HealthGain Solutions?

http://www.healthgain.co.uk/

Its just one example of the type of company you could work for where you wouldnt be working directly for pharma but getting a decent salary. They have regional jobs too

http://www.healthgain.co.uk/recruitment_current.htm

There are other cos out there that do similar. Essentially the roles are disease based but pharma companies try loads of stuff to change patient and physician behaviours and dynamics that indirectly lead to profit.

BTW i have fuck all to do with this lot just a mate used to work there.

Strange that jobs like that should be predominantly based anywhere.  Sounds like ideal work-from-home work to me.

183622[/snapback]

I can work from home more or less when I want, and I do occasionally. But in fact I am part of a team and need to communicate with colleagues, outside experts, research associates etc, and this is better done face to face. I don't think many people can work 300 miles from the place they live easily, although it can be done.

183525[/snapback]

183580[/snapback]

183609[/snapback]

You could do medical writing remotely for one of the big agencies as a first suggestion.

Do you have a background in pharmacolgy? Are you a pharmaceutical adviser or does it extend to other stuff too?

Have you heard of HealthGain Solutions?

http://www.healthgain.co.uk/

Its just one example of the type of company you could work for where you wouldnt be working directly for pharma but getting a decent salary. They have regional jobs too

http://www.healthgain.co.uk/recruitment_current.htm

There are other cos out there that do similar. Essentially the roles are disease based but pharma companies try loads of stuff to change patient and physician behaviours and dynamics that indirectly lead to profit.

BTW i have fuck all to do with this lot just a mate used to work there.

183623[/snapback]

Cheers, actually that's interesting, will bear that in mind in the coming months. There's big changes heading my way at work at the moment and I have to see how things pan out in the mean time.

Btw, I spotted what looks like the ideal job in London involving interesting work and lots of foreign travel. It says send in a CV. Trouble is, its very vague and there's no contact details. It doesn't say what the salary is or even who the employer is other than its a pharmaceutical company. How do I tailor my CV?

Btw, I spotted what looks like the ideal job in London involving interesting work and lots of foreign travel. It says send in a CV. Trouble is, its very vague and there's no contact details. It doesn't say what the salary is or even who the employer is other than its a pharmaceutical company. How do I tailor my CV?

183637[/snapback]

Don't worry about tailoring it if the advert is that vague. Just fill your CV with any and everything you think will be relevant and send it in. I do all of my job applications through a recruiter (Nigel Wright in the town), and as far as I'm aware they send the same CV out to everyone on my behalf.

183637[/snapback]

Gemmill will provide the best advice about not mentioning being a rent boy presumably.

I can provide some help but would need to know job title.

183637[/snapback]

Don't worry about tailoring it if the advert is that vague. Just fill your CV with any and everything you think will be relevant and send it in. I do all of my job applications through a recruiter (Nigel Wright in the town), and as far as I'm aware they send the same CV out to everyone on my behalf.

183646[/snapback]

Disagree in this instance. Moving from public to private sector you will need to demonstrate an aptitude for commercial thinking, strong technical skills and the ability to influence people's behaviours. CV for public sector role in my book would look a little different.

When looking at a pharma co you should analyse the state of the pipeline of products as an indicator of future opportunities within the business.

I fail to see how he can tailor the CV too much without even knowing who the employer is tbh. Obviously you would attempt to tailor it as close as possible to the job title, but without much in the way of a job description you're gonna be struggling - at the risk of leaving something out that they might be looking for, I'd be putting as much in as possible without making it overly long.

I fail to see how he can tailor the CV too much without even knowing who the employer is tbh.  Obviously you would attempt to tailor it as close as possible to the job title, but without much in the way of a job description you're gonna be struggling - at the risk of leaving something out that they might be looking for, I'd be putting as much in as possible without making it overly long.

183672[/snapback]

Aye, well it's a long shot and anyway, I'm not keen on the location so won't be that bothered if they don't interview me. Ironically I probably don't earn enough to be considered....

Now should "Best poster on Toontastic" stay on my CV as an achievement, along with "5000 posts in a year!"?

I fail to see how he can tailor the CV too much without even knowing who the employer is tbh.  Obviously you would attempt to tailor it as close as possible to the job title, but without much in the way of a job description you're gonna be struggling - at the risk of leaving something out that they might be looking for, I'd be putting as much in as possible without making it overly long.

183672[/snapback]

Thats why i asked him for the job title as i would be able to narrow down what they are looking for ;)

It doesnt make much difference if it is big cap, mid cap or biotech, the role in one co is the same as that in another.

My mate works for a biotech company in Northern California if you fancy a serious change of scenery, Renton? ;)

183683[/snapback]

Trying to get rid of me? :blush:

Most places abroad are out the question because of my wife anyway, she's limited on what law she can practice. Cheers though.

• 3 weeks later...