9 out 2 in...

Scottish Mag

From .com on their report of Boumsong departing.

Boum becomes the ninth first team squad player to depart from the club since Glenn Roeder took over, following in the footsteps of messrs Viana, Shearer, Caig,  Brittain, Chopra, Bowyer, Elliott and Faye.

I know Viana wasn't here last season and fingers are crossed that we can tie up a deal with Martins, but considering last season it was evident we were short on numbers and Owen being out all season, who knows what will happen with Dyer and Clark supposedly not really being part of the first team squad this season I pray we don't get many injuries.

Closer look at the squad it seems that we only have 6 first team defenders and two of them are relatively inexperienced in Ramage and Taylor and two strikers one of which does not appear to be rated by the manager... ;)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Patrokles
What comes when you do nothing all summer except buy a left winger you don't need.

183164[/snapback]

Don't make me ;) at you.

Guest Patrokles
What comes when you do nothing all summer except buy a left winger you don't need.

183164[/snapback]

Don't make me ;) at you.

183170[/snapback]

:blush:

183173[/snapback]

So you believe that Roeder has been doing nothing all summer but pursue Damien Duff? Right-o.

183164[/snapback]

Don't make me ;) at you.

183170[/snapback]

183173[/snapback]

So you believe that Roeder has been doing nothing all summer but pursue Damien Duff? Right-o.

183174[/snapback]

No, but I think that the way Newcastle did their transfer business this summer wasn't very smart and raises a lot of questions. So far with 9 days in the transfer to go we just have made one acquisition and lost 9 players when we had a squad that was already lacking depth last season.

183164[/snapback]

Don't make me :blush: at you.

183170[/snapback]

:puke:

183173[/snapback]

183174[/snapback]

No, but I think that the way Newcastle did their transfer business this summer wasn't very smart and raises a lot of questions. So far with 9 days in the transfer to go we just have made one acquisition and lost 9 players when we had a squad that was already lacking depth last season.

183176[/snapback]

Agree, but he'll :pray: at us if you're not careful. ;)

Missing out on anelka for 4mil and hasslebaink for free wasnt too clever.

183212[/snapback]

I especially agree about Hasselbaink, he would have at least been some decent cover and eased the pressure on the striker front. Even with Martins we are still at least one striker short.

183212[/snapback]

I especially agree about Hasselbaink, he would have at least been some decent cover and eased the pressure on the striker front. Even with Martins we are still at least one striker short.

183213[/snapback]

I'm also still trying to work out the logic behind not making a move for Sol Campbell especially when what we have saved on Boumsongs wages would have paid for the majority of Sols.

183212[/snapback]

183213[/snapback]

I'm also still trying to work out the logic behind not making a move for Sol Campbell especially when what we have saved on Boumsongs wages would have paid for the majority of Sols.

183214[/snapback]

Roeder said they looked at his record and he'd only played 30 games in 2 seasons so they didn't think he was the right option. I can repsect that to an extent, it shows unlike Souness, Roeder actually checks things!

But the Hasselbank one was for me a mistake, we are desperate for strikers and a proven, experienced goal scorer who has a year left in him at least was available for free and we turned it down.

Edited by Papa Lazaru

183212[/snapback]

183213[/snapback]

183214[/snapback]

Well, I can sort of agree the argument that Campbell's fitness record over the last two seasons was a worrying point.

I also worry that if we sign about 4-5 players in the end that with left wing (also I am glad to have Duff) and maybe central midfield two positions will be strengthened where we at least had some quality players. So that gives depth but doesn't really adress the problems in the squad.

Hasselbaink and Campbell are two we've missed the boat on IMO.

Sol proved on Saturday that he still has what it takes - my brother-in-law is a Pompey fan and says in 30 years he's never known a stronger back-line.

He even reckons he's had an effect on Andy O'Brien! ;)

Sol proved on Saturday that he still has what it takes - my brother-in-law is a Pompey fan and says in 30 years he's never known a stronger back-line.

183253[/snapback]

Could be the other way round you know :blush:

183164[/snapback]

Don't make me ;) at you.

183170[/snapback]

183173[/snapback]

183174[/snapback]

I don't really give a fuck if he has spent the entire summer sucking off Thai trannies, what I do care about is the progress made in the transfer market. He can scout and make approaches for all the players in the world but it is the squad we have come September that really matters.

183253[/snapback]

O'Brien who didn't play? Your brother in law talks shite tbh

Aye it looks shite at the minute but it could be Milner, Butt, Pattison, Duff, Martins, Gravesen, Bridge and Clint Eastwood by the end of the month which would still leave us a bit light but isnt a bad squad to have a pop at 4th with...

http://www.sportnetwork.net/main/s70/st102878.htm?fromrss=1

The Times quotes:

“I will join Newcastle on Thursday,” Martins said. “I am very happy about this.”

Two days ago, Martins said to BBC Sport that a deal with Newcastle was "80% done". This was followed up with Inter's acceptance of a £10m offer from Newcastle, with the transfer set to be concluded with ease.

However, not long after the bid was accepted, SkySports revealed that Portsmouth were also planning to make a late bid, seemingly to better ours and snatch the player at the last minute. With new Portsmouth owner Gaydamak loaded with money for the club to spend, the news was met with some degree of worry in the North East that "Obagoal" may not head here after all.

These new quotes from Martins should go a long way to assuring fans that the 21-year-old Nigerian is well and truly on his way, and will hopefully be available to face Martin O'Neill's Aston Villa on Sunday at Villa Park, Newcastle's first away outing of the new Premiership season.

That should be two players in for sure...

If we are to get Gravesen and Bridge as well I'd hope we could push hard for champions league this season.

At about £20m total spending it would be good business this transfer window, credit to Roeder if he pulls it all off...

Edited by JohnB

183253[/snapback]

O'Brien who didn't play? Your brother in law talks shite tbh

183317[/snapback]

Indeed he does. Has Sol played any pre-season games for Pompey? Might be referring to that...

Heard a story that we had Campbell here for talks and he was about to sign until the fat man told him that we didn't want any shit about him and rent boys going on up here and he just walked straight out.

Apparently this comes from a member of Clarkies family but I don't know how good a source it is.

Heard a story that we had Campbell here for talks and he was about to sign until the fat man told him that we didn't want any shit about him and rent boys going on up here and he just walked straight out.

Apparently this comes from a member of Clarkies family but I don't know how good a source it is.

183355[/snapback]

;):blush::pray:

No offence DK, but that sounds like some of the worst bullshit I've ever heard. :puke: At first I thought it was Patrokles posting it as a wind-up until I checked the username.

If, and it's a Hollywood-sign-sized IF, it's true, then Shepherd is a bigger prick than I thought, but I'm not buying that tbh.

183355[/snapback]

;):blush::pray:

No offence DK, but that sounds like some of the worst bullshit I've ever heard. :puke: At first I thought it was Patrokles posting it as a wind-up until I checked the username.

If, and it's a Hollywood-sign-sized IF, it's true, then Shepherd is a bigger prick than I thought, but I'm not buying that tbh.

183359[/snapback]

I'm not convinced about the source and if it was anyone else I would just dismiss it out of hand. But with Shepherd I really can't be sure!