Wednesday's gossip column

Scottish Mag

Transfer Rumours

Portsmouth are trying to hijack Newcastle's move for Inter Milan striker Obafemi Martins. (Star)

Thomas Gravesen has told Newcastle he wants to sign for them. (Sun)

Glenn Roeder is also weighing up a move for Chelsea defender Robert Huth. (Sun)

Fulham boss Chris Coleman will listen to "serious offers" for captain Luis Boa Morte. (Independent)

Stuttgart striker Daniel Ljuboja is holding out for more money before he agrees a move to Celtic. (Record)

AC Milan are back in the hunt for Chelsea defender William Gallas. (Sun)

Real Madrid are willing to speak to AC Milan representatives about striker Ronaldo. (Guardian)

Owen Hargreaves will risk the wrath of Bayern Munich by holding a news conference on Wednesday to explain why he wants to leave. (Star)

Manchester United are prepared to wait for Hargreaves - even if that means they miss out on their fall-back option Marcos Senna of Villarreal. (Times)

Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill is confident he will persuade unsettled Czech striker Milan Baros to stay at Villa Park. (Guardian)

Reading have told Middlesbrough they have no chance of signing Steve Sidwell. (Sun)

Middlesbrough are also after highly-rated Preston striker David Nugent. (Mirror)

And Boro could seal a loan deal for Real Madrid defender Jonathan Woodgate. (Mail)

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez is pondering a move for £10m-rated Cadiz striker Lucas Lobos. (Independent)

Former Real Madrid star Luis Figo wants to play in England. (Star)

Tottenham and Portsmouth are tracking Roma defender Sammy Kuffour. (Mirror)

OTHER GOSSIP

Sunderland chairman Niall Quinn will step down as manager by Monday and wants to install Alan Curbishley as replacement. (Star)

Dutch coach Marco van Basten says he will never pick former Manchester United striker Ruud van Nistelrooy again. (Star)

Aston Villa chairman Doug Ellis will walk away with £300,000 when Randy Lerner completes his takeover of the club. (Star)

FUNNIES

Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney apparently keeps fiancee Coleen McLoughlin entertained... with catchphrases from Little Britain and the Catherine Tate Show. He is often heard screaming "I'm a lady" and also mimics chav schoolgirl Lauren's catchprase "Am I bovvered?" (Star)

Thomas Gravesen has told Newcastle he wants to sign for them. (Sun)

183340[/snapback]

Only after Celtic wouldn't give him the money he wants. Gravesen is a decent player but I'd be wary about what sort of wages he is demanding.

I would be happy with Martins, Gravesen,Huth and bridge tbh.  ;)

183346[/snapback]

I'd rather ditch Huth or Gravesen or both if necessary in favour of another striker. Huth and Gravesen would cost us £6-7m. Which would be more than enough for someone like Nugent.

I would be happy with Martins, Gravesen,Huth and bridge tbh.  :blush:

183346[/snapback]

I'd rather ditch Huth or Gravesen or both if necessary in favour of another striker. Huth and Gravesen would cost us £6-7m. Which would be more than enough for someone like Nugent.

183348[/snapback]

Gravesen is a luxury that I question if we can afford, however Huth or any other defender is needed just as badly as a striker is. We currently have 6 on our books and even the majority of them are absolute horseshit, if we get any injuries or suspensions at the back we are going to be f*cked.

At least up front we may have 3 to choose from with Luque, Ameobi and Martins, plus several others who can do an emergency job if needed (Duff for example). Unfortunately we have no such options at the back and if players are not signed soon it looks like we may be seeing a hell of a lot of Ramage this year ;)

I would be happy with Martins, Gravesen,Huth and bridge tbh.  :blush:

183346[/snapback]

183348[/snapback]

Gravesen is a luxury that I question if we can afford, however Huth or any other defender is needed just as badly as a striker is. We currently have 6 on our books and even the majority of them are absolute horseshit, if we get any injuries or suspensions at the back we are going to be f*cked.

At least up front we may have 3 to choose from with Luque, Ameobi and Martins, plus several others who can do an emergency job if needed (Duff for example). Unfortunately we have no such options at the back and if players are not signed soon it looks like we may be seeing a hell of a lot of Ramage this year ;)

183357[/snapback]

With Ameobi already suffering with his hip and Luque basically useless, I'd say we're down to 2/2.5 strikers as it is (including Martins). You need 4 decent strikers and we've only got 2 plus Luque assuming the Martins deal goes through. I think we definitely need strikers more than we do defenders. We need defenders, definitely, but another striker would be my priority ahead of another defender (central defender, that is).

Wouldn't be too keen on Huth though. We need a quality player with experience to help improve the likes of Bramble, Taylor, Rammage and Huntington (has he gone to Plymouth on loan?).

The reason our young defenders never improve is that they never have any decent experience next to them. Bring Huth in and the same thing happens all over again.

Wouldn't be too keen on Huth though.  We need a quality player with experience to help improve the likes of Bramble, Taylor, Rammage and Huntington (has he gone to Plymouth on loan?).

The reason our young defenders never improve is that they never have any decent experience next to them.  Bring Huth in and the same thing happens all over again.

183364[/snapback]

Aye, an old head like Sol Campbell is exactly what we need/needed. Is Huth any better than, say, Taylor?

Wouldn't be too keen on Huth though.  We need a quality player with experience to help improve the likes of Bramble, Taylor, Rammage and Huntington (has he gone to Plymouth on loan?).

The reason our young defenders never improve is that they never have any decent experience next to them.  Bring Huth in and the same thing happens all over again.

183364[/snapback]

Aye, an old head like Sol Campbell is exactly what we need/needed. Is Huth any better than, say, Taylor?

183432[/snapback]

Which makes not signing Sol all the more stupid. If only the fat man hadn't had that pasty ;)

If Huth had been a reserve at any club other than Chelsea when they were taken over, he'd cost about half what he does. Hugely overrated with no real basis for it apart from "playing for the Champions".

If Huth had been a reserve at any club other than Chelsea when they were taken over, he'd cost about half what he does. Hugely overrated with no real basis for it apart from "playing for the Champions".

183448[/snapback]

Depends on the price? What were Borough going to pay?

Would be happy with £3m for Huth.

Gravesen makes sense though if Roeders first formation of the season is anything to go by. That sort of 4-3-3 he was trying to play (although I reckon it was more 4-5-1 like) with Gravesen slipping nicely into the Butt role. I'm not saying it's something I'd want us to play, but Roeder has tried it a few times now. Although, this may be due to our striker problems, and once Martins comes in we might go back to just having Emre and Parker in the middle.

183448[/snapback]

Depends on the price? What were Borough going to pay?

Would be happy with £3m for Huth.

183458[/snapback]

£5m is the price being talked about, that's what Boro agreed.

Don't know where this idea of Gravesen being able to tackle/play defensive midfield comes from. He's nothing like Butt in that respect.

I'd like Huth at about the money Chez's talking, but the 5.5m being talked about is far too much for a player that is so far nothing but masssive potential.

I'd like Huth at about the money Chez's talking, but the 5.5m being talked about is far too much for a player that is so far nothing but masssive potential.

183468[/snapback]

I agree about the potential. He's very raw at the present though and I'm not convined playng alongside our centre-backs would help him improve.

He's very raw at the present though

183473[/snapback]

Have you been ;) feeding him beetroot :blush: then? :pray:

183476[/snapback]

Inserting Austrian Smoked Cheeses tbh.